From: Marts on
atec 77 wrote...

> I expect the only quick solution is copy drive to drive across the
> machines hard drive or machine to machine across the network , it sounds

That's what I had to do. However, the PC's HDD having only half the required
space it took a while to do. Copy files to PC, swap HDDs, copy them back to
target drive. Delete files, repeat..

A couple of hundred gigs of data takes a while across a USB port...

> like the usb controller has issues with the combination , now does the
> hardware realise they are both there or is it software ?

Dunno. Just that Windows reports a hardware error when the second drive is
plugged in.

From: Marts on
Rod Speed wrote...

> >> You sure you didnt just stuff up the cabling to a front USB port ?
>
> > Dunno how. You plug one end into the port, the other into the HDD...
>
> No, I meant the cable inside the PC case, between
> the motherboard and the front physical port.

No. Installed by the computer builder (Computers and Parts Land in MEL).

> Did you try with both drives on USB ports on the back that are soldered into the motherboard ?
>
> That eliminates any cable.

Yes. Same result.

From: Evan on
Actually it doesn't. I've find a common problem on lans with xp that if
they already have drive letters map to network drives, or they have devices
mapped to letters via disk management, that often windows tries to load more
than one drive on the same drive letter. I have printouts of screenshots of
the various times I've found that problem.

From: Rod Speed on
Marts wrote:
> Rod Speed wrote...

>>> Dunno how. You plug one end into the port, the other into the HDD...

>> No, I meant the cable inside the PC case, between
>> the motherboard and the front physical port.

> No. Installed by the computer builder (Computers and Parts Land in MEL).

>> Did you try with both drives on USB ports on the back that are soldered into the motherboard ?

>> That eliminates any cable.

> Yes. Same result.

Looks like you mangled something, just like you always do.

I'd try a clean install of XP after imaging the current install.

From: Marts on
Rob wrote...

> Have you looked up microsoft as see if they have a Fix for the problem?
>
> Run this fix can't hurt.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817900

Unfortunately this is for an unresponsive USB port. But yes, I did try that.