From: Saga on
Thanks, much appreciated! Saga

From: Tony Toews on
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 12:22:57 -0500, "Saga" <antiSpam(a)nowhere.com>
wrote:

>I might be involved in developing a vb6 s/w that will help keep track
>of the participants in a tournament. Before I go inventing the wheel
>(again) I would like to know if any of you have heard or know of
>an already built VB6 project that I can use as a starting point.
>
>The basic idea is to have a sign up form where contestants register
>then display each contestant as he or she either wins or loses a
>game. I need a few more charcateristics, but see no problem
>in modifying an existing template. Thanks, Saga

But maybe this would be better done in Access which handles databases
better than VB6.

Tony

From: Helmut Meukel on
"Tony Toews" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 12:22:57 -0500, "Saga" <antiSpam(a)nowhere.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I might be involved in developing a vb6 s/w that will help keep track
>>of the participants in a tournament. Before I go inventing the wheel
>>(again) I would like to know if any of you have heard or know of
>>an already built VB6 project that I can use as a starting point.
>>
>>The basic idea is to have a sign up form where contestants register
>>then display each contestant as he or she either wins or loses a
>>game. I need a few more charcateristics, but see no problem
>>in modifying an existing template. Thanks, Saga
>
> But maybe this would be better done in Access which handles databases
> better than VB6.
>
> Tony

Huh,

if it's a mdb both programs use the very same database engine: Jet 4.0.
I use Dao 3.6 not Ado for accessing a mdb.
I use Access for creating the tables, indexes and relations, because these
are one-time tasks, not worth coding them. Creating and testing Queries
is easier in Access. I use my test copy of the mdb for this, but then write
the code to check if the query exists in the target mdb and create it
otherwise.

But I may be wrong assuming BV6 is more flexible than Access,
I never tried it with Access97, A2000 or later.
I decided to go the VB-way when I checked out Access 2.0 and VB3.

Helmut.

From: MikeD on

"Tony Toews" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 12:22:57 -0500, "Saga" <antiSpam(a)nowhere.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I might be involved in developing a vb6 s/w that will help keep track
>>of the participants in a tournament. Before I go inventing the wheel
>>(again) I would like to know if any of you have heard or know of
>>an already built VB6 project that I can use as a starting point.
>>
>>The basic idea is to have a sign up form where contestants register
>>then display each contestant as he or she either wins or loses a
>>game. I need a few more charcateristics, but see no problem
>>in modifying an existing template. Thanks, Saga
>
> But maybe this would be better done in Access which handles databases
> better than VB6.

That's debatable. VB6 can handle databases quite well (OK, yes, you will
need to write some code). I'd even argue that VB6 gives you more freedom and
flexibility regarding databases than Access does. Plus, you get a full
programming language in which you can do more things and better things than
you could in Access (oh, and then there's the little fact of making a real
executable program, rather than something that has to run within
Access...and yes I know about the Access runtime that is
redistributable...there's still no comparison).

No disrespect, Tony, but I think that's a terrible suggestion.

--
Mike

From: Tony Toews on
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 22:45:10 -0400, "MikeD" <nobody(a)nowhere.edu>
wrote:

>No disrespect, Tony, but I think that's a terrible suggestion.

I respectfully disagree. While you raise some valid points you can
created a database style app a lot faster in Access what with bound
forjms, continuous forms, subforms, tab control and so forth. Now if
it's a non database app then I'd suggest VB6.

Tony