From: mbyerley on

"Tony Toews" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 22:45:10 -0400, "MikeD" <nobody(a)nowhere.edu>
> wrote:
>
>>No disrespect, Tony, but I think that's a terrible suggestion.
>
> I respectfully disagree. While you raise some valid points you can
> created a database style app a lot faster in Access what with bound
> forjms, continuous forms, subforms, tab control and so forth. Now if
> it's a non database app then I'd suggest VB6.

I will chime in here on one of those occasions where I have some experience.
A database centric application is orders of magnatude easier in a bound
environment. Doing an application in a high level language is like doing
long division in chinese (no disrespect to the native chinese here either).

Though most of my DB experience (25 years) is with RBase, I have done a few
apps in Access as well. So, even though some of you are defensive about
the broad capabilities of the compiled side of the VB language, when it
comes down to getting a working DB app out the door, you will still be
futzing around with the UI while the other guy is delivering the app to the
customer.

From: Tony Toews on
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 01:10:03 +0200, "Helmut Meukel"
<Helmut_Meukel(a)NoProvider.de> wrote:

>if it's a mdb both programs use the very same database engine: Jet 4.0.
>I use Dao 3.6 not Ado for accessing a mdb.
>I use Access for creating the tables, indexes and relations, because these
>are one-time tasks, not worth coding them. Creating and testing Queries
>is easier in Access. I use my test copy of the mdb for this, but then write
>the code to check if the query exists in the target mdb and create it
>otherwise.
>
>But I may be wrong assuming BV6 is more flexible than Access,
>I never tried it with Access97, A2000 or later.
>I decided to go the VB-way when I checked out Access 2.0 and VB3.

More flexible well maybe. Although I can do just about anything in
Access on an unbound form that you could also do in VB6. Although not
if it requires an external control as not too many of those work in
Access.

But for a boring database app it's a lot faster to use Access. As
mbyerley pointed out bound forms save you a bunch of work. I keep
forgetting that's a fundamental difference between Access and VB6,
etc, etc.

Tonm
From: Viken Cerpovna on
>>>I might be involved in developing a vb6 s/w that will help keep track
>>>of the participants in a tournament. Before I go inventing the wheel
>>>(again) I would like to know if any of you have heard or know of
>>>an already built VB6 project that I can use as a starting point.
>>>
>>>The basic idea is to have a sign up form where contestants register
>>>then display each contestant as he or she either wins or loses a
>>>game. I need a few more charcateristics, but see no problem
>>>in modifying an existing template. Thanks, Saga
>>
>> But maybe this would be better done in Access which handles databases
>> better than VB6.
>>

> That's debatable. VB6 can handle databases quite well (OK, yes, you will
> need to write some code). I'd even argue that VB6 gives you more freedom
> and flexibility regarding databases than Access does. Plus, you get a
> full programming language in which you can do more things and better
> things than you could in Access (oh, and then there's the little fact of
> making a real executable program, rather than something that has to run
> within Access...and yes I know about the Access runtime that is
> redistributable...there's still no comparison).
>
> No disrespect, Tony, but I think that's a terrible suggestion.
>
> --
> Mike

Code-wise you have pretty much the same capability in Access as you do in
Visual Basic (VBA and Windows API) plus full support of the built in Access
objects. The Forms library is a little different, but if running it
self-contained in Access isn't a big deal then it's a good option.

From: Saga on
I believe that both VB and Access have their place, otherwise
one or the other product would not exist. As I have a VB6
license and have done 99% of my work using this environment,
my choice is VB6. I am sure that some one skilled in Access
could develop this app in this environment much much faster
than I ever could.

Thanks all for your insights. Saga

From: Tony Toews on
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 10:34:21 -0500, "Saga" <antiSpam(a)nowhere.com>
wrote:

>I believe that both VB and Access have their place, otherwise
>one or the other product would not exist. As I have a VB6
>license and have done 99% of my work using this environment,
>my choice is VB6. I am sure that some one skilled in Access
>could develop this app in this environment much much faster
>than I ever could.

Quite reasonable. In case you hadn't figured out from previous
postings of mine I'm a hardcore Access person and am having fun
learning VB6.

Tony