From: Tony Toews on
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 07:47:44 -0400, "mbyerley"
<mDotByerley(a)VerizonDottieNettie> wrote:

>Why don't you really tell us how you feel about Access? ;-)

<chuckle> Took the words right out of my keyboard.

Whereas I quite like Access. Oh well, to each his own.

Tony
From: Tony Toews on
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 07:19:51 +0100, MM <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Boy, was I wrong! Access is, if you're a VB programmer, a pile, a
>veritable PILE of donkey poo. The UI is a royal PITA (compared to VB).
>Nothing in the Access UI seems to function like you'd expect it to,
>from the awful "switchboard"

The MS supplied switchboard? That sucks. I never use it. Instead I
use command buttons on unbound forms.

>to the way that properties are presented non-alphabetically.

So what. On the property sheet they are grouped reasonably well both
in the individual tabs and in the All tab. I guess it's what you're
used to.

>Access can be your friend! But I wouldn't wish its application UI on
>my worst enemy.

I must say that this is one of the more eloquent and interestnig rants
I've read in quite a while. Well done. (And I don't mean this
sarcasticaly.)

Tony (still chuckling)
From: Bob Butler on

"Tony Toews" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 07:19:51 +0100, MM <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Boy, was I wrong! Access is, if you're a VB programmer, a pile, a
>>veritable PILE of donkey poo. The UI is a royal PITA (compared to VB).
>>Nothing in the Access UI seems to function like you'd expect it to,
>>from the awful "switchboard"
>
> The MS supplied switchboard? That sucks. I never use it. Instead I
> use command buttons on unbound forms.
>
>>to the way that properties are presented non-alphabetically.
>
> So what. On the property sheet they are grouped reasonably well both
> in the individual tabs and in the All tab. I guess it's what you're
> used to.
>
>>Access can be your friend! But I wouldn't wish its application UI on
>>my worst enemy.
>
> I must say that this is one of the more eloquent and interestnig rants
> I've read in quite a while. Well done. (And I don't mean this
> sarcasticaly.)

I don't remember hearing anybody who started with VB liking Access. With
those who start in Access the opinions on moving to VB seem to be more
diverse. I started with VB and the few times I've had to deal with Access I
swore I'd never do it again. It's even worse than dotnet.

From: MikeD on

"Tony Toews" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 07:19:51 +0100, MM <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Boy, was I wrong! Access is, if you're a VB programmer, a pile, a
>>veritable PILE of donkey poo. The UI is a royal PITA (compared to VB).
>>Nothing in the Access UI seems to function like you'd expect it to,
>>from the awful "switchboard"
>
> The MS supplied switchboard? That sucks. I never use it. Instead I
> use command buttons on unbound forms.
>
>>to the way that properties are presented non-alphabetically.
>
> So what. On the property sheet they are grouped reasonably well both
> in the individual tabs and in the All tab. I guess it's what you're
> used to.
>
>>Access can be your friend! But I wouldn't wish its application UI on
>>my worst enemy.
>
> I must say that this is one of the more eloquent and interestnig rants
> I've read in quite a while. Well done. (And I don't mean this
> sarcasticaly.)
>
> Tony (still chuckling)

Tony, the thing you gotta understand, and which you even mentioned elsewhere
in this thread, is a person's background. Now here, in in this specific
newsgroup, MOST people are going to have a VB6 background. Therefore, we're
partial to VB6. You, on the other hand, have an Access background, so
naturally you're partial to Access. However, most of us VB6ers would never
use Access for anything more than serving as the backend database for a
local database app (a movie, music database, for example...or another way to
put it, a "home" application).

My initial reply to you (in which I said I thought using Access was a
terrible suggestion), which kinda started this, was based on Saga saying "a
VB6 app", that Saga has been around on the VB6 newsgroups for awhile and to
my recollection has never even mentioned development in Access, and that he
posted to a VB6 newsgroup and NOT an Access newsgroup (he probably would
have posted to an Access ng if he wanted to use Access). Taking all this
into consideration, plus a few more things, my opinion was that your
suggestion to use Access was not a good one. I didn't mean to start this
debate though.

--
Mike

From: Kevin Provance on
:
: I must say that this is one of the more eloquent and interestnig rants
: I've read in quite a while. Well done. (And I don't mean this
: sarcasticaly.)
:
: Tony (still chuckling)

Basically, what Mike said. Look at where you are. We are Classic VB
cheerleaders, not Access cheerleaders. You're only here because of the VBA
part of it (or so I am gathering). I used Access (the backend) once when
working with an internal app to store customer info, and that was a PITA.
I've seen the Access program and it's nothing I would want to mess with. To
be fair, I worked with a guy who was a bloody Access wizard who did things
with Access I never thought possible. He, like you dismissed VB away with a
single hand...so I'm not surprised at the loyalty factor involved.

If I had it to do over again, I would go with the ADO route, or a third
party called Cheetah for databasing. Or god forbid XML. There are some
things about working with the XML DOM that are amazing simple. Combine that
with VB as a front end, and it's a nice system. Then having the SAX option
for larger XML files, it's all nicely rounded. But again, that's not for
corporate use...just me in my own personal usage.