From: Karl E. Peterson on
SteveC wrote:
> What is UAC?

User Access Control.

> the programme is probably not very well written,early self learning
> exercises.If it never worked on W7 I can see that, but it worked last
> week and I have MADE NO CHANGES to the system between Friday last week
> and Monday this week.

That's why folks asked *where* you/it were trying to save the file.
Did that change? If it does, does the result?

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: SteveC on
Thanks for UAC,wasn't sure what it was.It is set to do not notify
about changes,slider all way to the bottom,
Nothing has is different,save location is the same,the input data is
the same,it's selected from a drop down combo,displayed on a flexgrid
and printed.I have changed nothing.printing works fine,any printer on
my system will print it with no errors,only the save seems to be
different.

From: Karl E. Peterson on
SteveC wrote:
>>> What is UAC?
>>
>> User Access Control.
>>
>>> �the programme is probably not very well written,early self learning
>>> exercises.If it never worked on W7 I can see that, but it worked last
>>> week and I have MADE NO CHANGES to the system between Friday last week
>>> and Monday this week.
>>
>> That's why folks asked *where* you/it were trying to save the file. �
>> Did that change? �If it does, does the result?
>
> Thanks for UAC,wasn't sure what it was.It is set to do not notify
> about changes,slider all way to the bottom,
> Nothing has is different,save location is the same,the input data is
> the same,it's selected from a drop down combo,displayed on a flexgrid
> and printed.I have changed nothing.printing works fine,any printer on
> my system will print it with no errors,only the save seems to be
> different.

Assuming you didn't just alter the UAC setting, it's looking like
you'll need to actually do a little debugging, then. Are you familiar
with the F8 key and the Local and Immediate windows?

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Karl E. Peterson on

From: Phill W. on
On 05/04/2010 19:59, SteveC wrote:
> I'm currently running it on W7 pro and periodically if will not save
> the file.I used it last week and it worked fine.This morning it failed
> to save the file.No errors,at least no VB errors,just the message
> box warning I put in on exit if I fail to save the file.

If the program failed every time, I'd suspect either a coding problem or
something big in the environment, like UAC. Because it only breaks
sometimes, I'd start looking at "intervention by person or processes
unknown".

Do you always save to the /same/ file?
Could another process have "grabbed hold" of it? MS Word is a old hand
at doing this; open even a text file in Word and nothing can update it
(certainly /used/ to be the case anyway). It was "great fun" when some
analyst opened up your server log file to have a look and all your
logging just "stopped" 'til they clear off for lunch!

> I get the feeling that it is ignoring the sub that is that save file
> code, because that sub also indexes the packing index number and that
> doesn't change.

Does it do the file save first?
Is so and the save is failing, that might be why the indexing doesn't
get done either.

> I have made no changes to the programme since it last worked, and made
> no changes to the computer. The only thing I can think of is MS update
> broke something again.

Always a possibility but updates usually break the "outlying" bits of VB
applications, the ActiveX Controls that we use but that aren't part of
the VB product itself (and, therefore, that Our Friends in Redmond don't
give a damn about). If your program is "pure" VB, without any external
controls (which would be rare) then this shouldn't be an issue.

HTH,
Phill W.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4