From: SteveC on
I have a small programme I wrote in VB6 pro years ago that makes and
prints a simple packing list,Saves the file as a simple text file.I'm
currently running it on W7 pro and periodically if will not save the
file.I used it last week and it worked fine.This morning it failed to
save the file.No errors,at least no VB errors,just the message box
warning I put in on exit if I fail to save the file.I get the feeling
that it is ignoring the sub that is that save file code,because that
sub also indexes the packing index number and that doesn't change.I
have made no changes to the programme since it last worked,and made no
changes to the computer.The only thing I can think of is MS update
broke something gain.MS seem to be breaking a lot of their programmes
lately.Any suggestions.
I'm seriously thinking of giving up on VB and learning java.
SteveC
From: Norm on

"SteveC" <admlcl(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a small programme I wrote in VB6 pro years ago that makes and
> prints a simple packing list,Saves the file as a simple text file.I'm
> currently running it on W7 pro and periodically if will not save the
> file.I used it last week and it worked fine.This morning it failed to
> save the file.No errors,at least no VB errors,just the message box
> warning I put in on exit if I fail to save the file.I get the feeling
> that it is ignoring the sub that is that save file code,because that
> sub also indexes the packing index number and that doesn't change.I
> have made no changes to the programme since it last worked,and made no
> changes to the computer.The only thing I can think of is MS update
> broke something gain.MS seem to be breaking a lot of their programmes
> lately.Any suggestions.
> I'm seriously thinking of giving up on VB and learning java.
> SteveC

Steve,

Is UAC on? If so turn it off and see if the file saves.

Norm

From: Nobody on
Where are you saving the file? Most likely you are getting access denied
errors. You can change the permissions on the folder, or write to writable
locations, such as APPDATA.

From: MikeD on

"SteveC" <admlcl(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message news:31cbcbb7-dd2d-4bb6-b1fb-6f52372ad615(a)r1g2000yqb.googlegroups.com...
>I have a small programme I wrote in VB6 pro years ago that makes and
> prints a simple packing list,Saves the file as a simple text file.I'm
> currently running it on W7 pro and periodically if will not save the
> file.I used it last week and it worked fine.This morning it failed to
> save the file.No errors,at least no VB errors,just the message box
> warning I put in on exit if I fail to save the file.I get the feeling
> that it is ignoring the sub that is that save file code,because that
> sub also indexes the packing index number and that doesn't change.I
> have made no changes to the programme since it last worked,and made no
> changes to the computer.The only thing I can think of is MS update
> broke something gain.MS seem to be breaking a lot of their programmes
> lately.Any suggestions.

Vista and Win7 enforce rules that were never enforced before for admins. There is probably a good chance your program is trying to
save the file to a location that for XP and earlier might have worked (though probably still not the "proper" location), but now
under Win7, won't. Or, some variation of this since apparently sometimes it does save.

In any case, it's NOT likely caused by any update or that anything is "broken". You may just need to update this app to be
compatible with Vista and Win7.

Provide some more details, such as where you're saving this text file, if the user specifies its location, etc., etc.

> I'm seriously thinking of giving up on VB and learning java.

And you think you won't have problems (perhaps worse problems) with Java? It's very unlikely this problem is VB's fault or has
anything to do with VB. It's most likely your code. Not saying for certain, just most likely.

--
Mike

From: SteveC on
What is UAC?
the programme is probably not very well written,early self learning
exercises.If it never worked on W7 I can see that, but it worked last
week and I have MADE NO CHANGES to the system between Friday last week
and Monday this week.
SteveC

On Apr 5, 12:25 pm, "MikeD" <nob...(a)nowhere.edu> wrote:
> "SteveC" <adm...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:31cbcbb7-dd2d-4bb6-b1fb-6f52372ad615(a)r1g2000yqb.googlegroups.com...
> >I have a small programme I wrote in VB6 pro years ago that makes and
> > prints a simple packing list,Saves the file as a simple text file.I'm
> > currently running it on W7 pro and periodically if will not save the
> > file.I used it last week and it worked fine.This morning it failed to
> > save the file.No errors,at least no VB errors,just the message box
> > warning I put in on exit if I fail to save the file.I get the feeling
> > that it is ignoring the sub that is that save file code,because that
> > sub also indexes the packing index number and that doesn't change.I
> > have made no changes to the programme since it last worked,and made no
> > changes to the computer.The only thing I can think of is MS update
> > broke something gain.MS seem to be breaking a lot of their programmes
> > lately.Any suggestions.
>
> Vista and Win7 enforce rules that were never enforced before for admins.  There is probably a good chance your program is trying to
> save the file to a location that for XP and earlier might have worked (though probably still not the "proper" location), but now
> under Win7, won't. Or, some variation of this since apparently sometimes it does save.
>
> In any case, it's NOT likely caused by any update or that anything is "broken". You may just need to update this app to be
> compatible with Vista and Win7.
>
> Provide some more details, such as where you're saving this text file, if the user specifies its location, etc., etc.
>
> > I'm seriously thinking of giving up on VB and learning java.
>
> And you think you won't have problems (perhaps worse problems) with Java? It's very unlikely this problem is VB's fault or has
> anything to do with VB. It's most likely your code. Not saying for certain, just most likely.
>
> --
> Mike

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4