From: Paul Clement on
On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 14:05:20 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote:

� SteveC wrote:
� > What is UAC?

� User Access Control.

User Account Control.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
From: Karl E. Peterson on
Paul Clement wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 14:05:20 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote:
>
> � SteveC wrote:
> � > What is UAC?
> �
> � User Access Control.
> �
>
> User Account Control.

Thanks, yeah. (Seems to limit *access* so... <g>)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Larry Serflaten on

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote
> > � > What is UAC?
> > �
> > � User Access Control.
> >
> > User Account Control.
>
> Thanks, yeah. (Seems to limit *access* so... <g>)

Well it sure seems to bring on Un-Adulterated Chaos with all the
older programs...

<g>
LFS

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Larry Serflaten wrote:
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote
>>> � > What is UAC?
>>> �
>>> � User Access Control.
>>>
>>> User Account Control.
>>
>> Thanks, yeah. (Seems to limit *access* so... <g>)
>
> Well it sure seems to bring on Un-Adulterated Chaos with all the
> older programs...
>
> <g>

Ahhhh, the unsanitized version! So clear, once known... :-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: SteveC on
new info,when the programme starts it loads a text file into a
dropdown combo,I found out that if I edit that text file in MS note
pad or directly in the programme, it saves fine,it I edit it in my
preferred txt editor Crimson Editor then I get the problem although I
can find no stray characters.and once again it worked OK in XP and I
have made no changes since moving to W7.
Not related to this problem but causing headaches anyway.I have a
small machinist related programme that I sell a few copies now and
then that when installed on W7 the usual way causes and error.I use
Inno setup,always have and if the setup file is just clicked and run
in the normal way when the programme starts I get an error, "error5
Invalid procedure call or argument",however if I right click the setup
file and run as administrator then everything works as it should.I
have changed the setup as suggested for W7,but not really being a
programmer I don't know what to look for.This as far as I know is the
way to put the programme on W7, regular click setup works on every
other version of windows.
SteveC

On Apr 6, 4:54 am, "Phill W." <p-.-a-.-w-a-r...@-o-p-e-n-.-a-c-.-u-k>
wrote:
> On 05/04/2010 19:59, SteveC wrote:
>
> > I'm currently running it on W7 pro and periodically if will not save
> > the file.I used it last week and it worked fine.This morning it failed
> > to save the file.No errors,at least no VB errors,just the message
> > box warning I put in on exit if I fail to save the file.
>
> If the program failed every time, I'd suspect either a coding problem or
> something big in the environment, like UAC. Because it only breaks
> sometimes, I'd start looking at "intervention by person or processes
> unknown".
>
> Do you always save to the /same/ file?
> Could another process have "grabbed hold" of it?  MS Word is a old hand
> at doing this; open even a text file in Word and nothing can update it
> (certainly /used/ to be the case anyway). It was "great fun" when some
> analyst opened up your server log file to have a look and all your
> logging just "stopped" 'til they clear off for lunch!
>
> > I get the feeling that it is ignoring the sub that is that save file
> > code, because that sub also indexes the packing index number and that
> > doesn't change.
>
> Does it do the file save first?
> Is so and the save is failing, that might be why the indexing doesn't
> get done either.
>
> > I have made no changes to the programme since it last worked, and made
> > no changes to the computer. The only thing I can think of is MS update
> > broke something again.
>
> Always a possibility but updates usually break the "outlying" bits of VB
> applications, the ActiveX Controls that we use but that aren't part of
> the VB product itself (and, therefore, that Our Friends in Redmond don't
> give a damn about).  If your program is "pure" VB, without any external
> controls (which would be rare) then this shouldn't be an issue.
>
> HTH,
>     Phill  W.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4