From: Giovanni Dicanio on

"Alexander Nickolov" <agnickolov(a)mvps.org> ha scritto nel messaggio
> There's at least one exception at least at the moment: Mac OS X
> is FreeBSD - a Unix flavor. That may cause you to change your
> thinking - it already changed ours...

I've never coded for Mac OS, however I've used it a bit, and I liked it a
lot. Very elegant design, very usable user-interface.
(I believe that when one is passionate about technology, it is fair to
recognize the high-quality things also in non-Microsoft products.)

However, is Mac OS software developed using Objective-C and Cocoa, isn't it?

And if I needed to have cross-platform, I would like to use .NET framework.
In fact, for example, I read that Microsoft is porting Silverlight (which is
a kind of smaller .NET framework, if my understanding is correct) to Mac OS
X, too. I hope they do also a porting for Linux, so also the Unix guys can
be happy :)

Of course, porting to Linux does not mean to also release the source code.
I believe that there are big money that Microsoft spent in R&D, that then
went into source code of .NET (CLR, etc.), so IMHO is perfectly fine for
Microsoft to protect his investment and not release these sources.

From: Alexander Nickolov on
You can perfectly well develop your code in C++ on Mac OS X.
You do have to wrap it in ObjectiveC for the UI of course. But
GCC is a perfectly capable C++ compiler...

--
=====================================
Alexander Nickolov

From: Kenneth Porter on

> I've tried wxDev-C++ and it is a fragile *toy*: the opposite of the
> concept of robust quality tool. The GUI designer is broken. The IDE is
> something of the pre-VC6 era: maybe Notepad would be even better.

I'm not a big fan of IDE's, except for the debugger. I want my own
editor, not the one imposed on me by the compiler vendor. I do very
little editing of code in VS.

Form builders are useful. I really like wxFormBuilder for designing my
layout. It works well with wx's sizer-based elements.

The MFC objects, AFAICT, are all fixed-size items that are locked to a
position in a dialog. There's some nod to sizability based on fonts.

> However, I don't like wxWidgets. For example, the documentation is
> really *poor*.
>
> I needed to have a custom grid with radio buttons inside a cell. Then
> I went to wxGrid documentation, and I just read a dummy sample here:
>
> http://www.wxwidgets.org/manuals/2.6/wx_gridoverview.html#gridoverview
>
> the really interesting examples are just ... "Yet to be written..."?!??
>
> What kind of professional style is that??
>
> I don't trust an undocumented library, with no serious IDE support.
>
> BTW: Have you any idea about how to put three radio buttons into a
> cell of a wxGrid? :)

I've learned never to trust documentation. When documentation is obtuse
(and MS' is far from perfect: just look at Samba's development history,
working from bad specs) I often use the source as my documentation when
I'm not sure how something works. I'm just glad I have MFC sources when I
have to work with it. I get very frustrated working with libraries that
don't provide me with source. I'm at the mercy of the vendor docs, which
are both poor and incomplete.
From: Kenneth Porter on
"Giovanni Dicanio" <giovanni.dicanio(a)invalid.it> wrote in

> Of course, porting to Linux does not mean to also release the source
> code. I believe that there are big money that Microsoft spent in R&D,
> that then went into source code of .NET (CLR, etc.), so IMHO is
> perfectly fine for Microsoft to protect his investment and not release
> these sources.

I'm fine with them keeping the source, but it would be nice if you could
trust them not to sue you for implementing a compatible library that
presents the same API. A lot of OS vendors avoided Mono because they
worried that MS would sue them for using a rival .NET library.
From: Giovanni Dicanio on

"Kenneth Porter" <shiva.blacklist(a)sewingwitch.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> Form builders are useful. I really like wxFormBuilder for designing my
> layout. It works well with wx's sizer-based elements.

Thank you for your pointing out (I was unaware of wxFormBuilder...).

> The MFC objects, AFAICT, are all fixed-size items that are locked to a
> position in a dialog. There's some nod to sizability based on fonts.

But I think that there are some extensions to MFC (also available on the
jewel called CodeProject) that allow resizing, too.

> I've learned never to trust documentation. When documentation is obtuse
> (and MS' is far from perfect: just look at Samba's development history,
> working from bad specs) I often use the source as my documentation when
> I'm not sure how something works. I'm just glad I have MFC sources when I
> have to work with it. I get very frustrated working with libraries that
> don't provide me with source. I'm at the mercy of the vendor docs, which
> are both poor and incomplete.

I beg to differ with your assertion about MS documentation. And I think that
the documentation (and tutorials, and samples) offered about MFC by books or
great web-sites like CodeProject is superior to what is offered for
wxWindows.
However, I agree with you that having the source code available is very good
thing.

Giovanni