From: Jonathan Thornburg -- remove -animal to reply on
In comp.arch Nick Maclaren <nmm1(a)cus.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> In article <dlP3i.16047$p47.5679(a)bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> Stephen Fuld <S.Fuld(a)PleaseRemove.att.net> writes:

The ATLAS (http://www.computer50.org/kgill/atlas/atlas.html) was a
pipelined machine, shipping in 1962.

> |> I thought that pipelining went back at least to Richard Feynman's use of
> |> pipelining his "computers", the human kind, in the work on the Manhattan
> |> Project. :-)
>
> As an industrial technique, it is not later than mediaeval. In computing,
> the word seems to date from the mid-1960s, though the technique is older.
> It was often just lumped in with other forms of instruction scheduling.

Nick is right. As an industrial technique ("the assembly line"), it
was already well-established when Adam Smith wrote "An Inquiry into the
Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations" (published in 1776). Smith
described a pipelined assembly line for making pins:

"One man draws out the wire, another straights [sic] it, a third
cuts it, a fourth points it, a fifth grinds it at the top for
receiving the head; to make the head requires two or three
distinct operations; to put it on, is a peculiar business, to
whiten the pins is another; it is even a trade by itself to put
them into the paper."

The OED dates the term "pipe-line" to 1883, referring to both oil and
water lines.

ciao,

--
-- Jonathan Thornburg (remove -animal to reply) <J.Thornburg(a)soton.ac-zebra.uk>
School of Mathematics, U of Southampton, England
From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler on

<J.Thornburg(a)soton.ac-zebra.uk> writes:
> The OED dates the term "pipe-line" to 1883, referring to both oil and
> water lines.

current day natural gas appears to have quite a bit of pipelinning
.... including multiple day latency ... lots of weather modeling. if they
don't start pumping in more gas, days before a cold snap ... they can
have inadequate gas at the consumer end. if they are wrong and the cold
snap doesn't occur ... they can have (over) pressure problems at the
consumer end (infrastructure with pipelines stretching hundreds of miles
from origin to destination).

most consumer water lines don't have quite the same long haul supply
distances (any long haul typically having lots of intermediary staging
areas).
From: mike on

"Anne & Lynn Wheeler" <lynn(a)garlic.com> wrote in message

| "Jonathan Thornburg -- remove -animal to reply"
| <J.Thornburg(a)soton.ac-zebra.uk> writes:
| > The OED dates the term "pipe-line" to 1883, referring to both oil
and
| > water lines.
|
| current day natural gas appears to have quite a bit of pipelinning
| ... including multiple day latency ... lots of weather modeling. if
they
| don't start pumping in more gas, days before a cold snap ... they
can
| have inadequate gas at the consumer end. if they are wrong and the
cold
| snap doesn't occur ... they can have (over) pressure problems at the
| consumer end (infrastructure with pipelines stretching hundreds of
miles
| from origin to destination).
|
| most consumer water lines don't have quite the same long haul supply
| distances (any long haul typically having lots of intermediary
staging
| areas).

Further, unlike water, gas is compressible.

From: Mark Smotherman on
"Jonathan Thornburg -- remove -animal to reply" <J.Thornburg(a)soton.ac-zebra.uk> writes:

>In comp.arch Nick Maclaren <nmm1(a)cus.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

>The ATLAS (http://www.computer50.org/kgill/atlas/atlas.html) was a
>pipelined machine, shipping in 1962.

other early pipelines:

The Zuse Z3 (1941, patent filed in 1949) was pipelined:

http://irb.cs.tu-berlin.de/~zuse/Konrad_Zuse/Z3-detail.htm

Gene Amdahl's WISC (1950) had a four-stage pipeline - instruction
fetch, operand fetch, execution, write back:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~bezenek/Stuff/amdahl_thesis.pdf

and the IBM Stretch and Univac LARC (projects started mid-1950s)
were pipelined.

From: Quadibloc on
Mark Smotherman wrote:
> and the IBM Stretch and Univac LARC (projects started mid-1950s)
> were pipelined.
..
It should be noted that, yes, the IBM Stretch was an early
superpipelined machine. The failure of its pipelining to provide the
expected performance gains was the reason behind IBM cutting the price
and discontinuing the sale of that machine.

But as for pipelining per se, comparable to the earliest pipelined
machines, that was a feature even of the IBM 7094.

It's interesting to note that pipelining flushes were still a problem
with the IBM System/360 Model 91; while the discrepancy wasn't as
severe as with the STRETCH, IBM was still disappointed with the
performance gains that superpipelining (that is, pipelining the
execution portion of the instruction) provided. On the other hand,
with the Model 85 and cache, IBM ended up pleasantly surprised.

John Savard

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Prev: Multiple Clock Domains on UP3
Next: Fast string functions