From: Quadibloc on
Eugene Miya wrote:
> Mark, you would know better, but I've even heard the Stretch (7030) as a
> precursor VLIW.
..
I certainly would tend to agree that the Stretch isn't a precursor of
VLIW. But it's possible HARVEST might have been one.

John Savard

From: Eric Smith on
Eugene Miya wrote:
> Mark, you would know better, but I've even heard the Stretch (7030) as a
> precursor VLIW.

Definitely not. There are some unusual aspects to the intruction set,
and the hardware does use some parallelism, but the instruction set
operates purely sequentially and does not use fields to control
separate functional units.
From: Quadibloc on
Nick Maclaren wrote:
> I am sure that IBM would love to know that the microcode of several
> of the System/370 range was not really microcode, but that seems to
> be an equally religious viewpoint.
..
I certainly don't claim that.

I presume that what you mean is that I have made certain categorical
statements about microcode that don't apply to the microcode of some
members of the System/370 range. I'm not convinced.

> Yes, it executed the different parts in parallel - that was precisely
> the reason for using a VLIW format.
..
It certainly is true that IBM System/360 and System/370 computers that
had longer microcode words did so in order to do more things at once
when handling the functionality of an instruction.

You will, of course, recall that these computers were generally not
user-microprogrammable; some exceptions were made for academic
research projects, but these were done on lower-end 360 models, such
as the Model 30.

Even on a high-end microprogrammed model, though, such as the Model
85, you had *one* 60-bit ALU to do arithmetic with. And another 8-bit
ALU for character operations. So even if it had been user-
microprogrammable, the ability to do multiple operations at once that
were meaningful in terms of the actual computations being performed to
solve a user's problem would have been _very_ limited. Still, I
suppose one could make a case for a user-microprogrammable Model 85
(or 370/165, 370/168, or 3033) as being, in a limited sense, a VLIW
machine, particularly if it were also equipped with the high-speed
multiply feature.

Horizontal microcode was intended to serve as a close-to-equivalent
replacement for hardwired control, which intrinsically had direct
access to every control signal in the computer. This didn't
automatically mean an ability to do more than one thing at a time in a
meaningful manner.

Yes, the Model 85 did perform *address arithmetic* in parallel with
arithmetic, but if I were to count that as VLIW, then I would have to
include every architecture that included an indexing field in memory-
reference instructions, and the term VLIW would lose all meaning.

> Remember that mainframe CPUs had
> lot of semi-independent functional units.

And, of course, the channels were *so* independent that they operated
under autonomous control. Their operations were not controlled by the
microcode in the CPU, as that microcode was busy handling whatever
System/360 instruction the current program was executing at the time.

The central logic of a Model 85 and its cousins did not include the
kind of simultaneously-usable single-function ALUs characteristic of a
Control Data 6600.

John Savard

From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler on
Quadibloc <jsavard(a)ecn.ab.ca> writes:
> And, of course, the channels were *so* independent that they operated
> under autonomous control. Their operations were not controlled by the
> microcode in the CPU, as that microcode was busy handling whatever
> System/360 instruction the current program was executing at the time.

past refs:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007j.html#84 VLIW pre-history
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007j.html#95 VLIW pre-history
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007j.html#96 VLIW pre-history
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007j.html#97 VLIW pre-history
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007k.html#1 VLIW pre-history
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007k.html#6 VLIW pre-history
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007k.html#7 VLIW pre-history
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007k.html#14 Some IBM 3033 information

lots of 360 & 370 processors had "integrated channels" ... nearly all of
the low-end processors with vertical microcode ... same engine, one set
of microcode that did the 370 instruction function ... and running on
the same engine ... a set of microcode that did the channel function.

370/158 was horizontal microcode engine ... that had both 370 emulation
horizontal microcode and integrated channel horizontal microcode
.... running on the same horizontal microcode engine.

as pointed out several previous times ....for 303x ... the integrated
channel and 370/158 (horizontal) microcode engine was repackaged into
separate box called (303x) "channel director" (w/o the 370 emulation
horizontal microcode).

the 3031 was a 370/158 (horizontal) microcode engine with only the 370
emulation (horizontal) microcode and w/o the integrated channel
(horizontal) microcode ... and paired with a "channel director" box
(i.e. a 370/158 horizontal microcode engine only running the integrated
channel horizontal microcode).

the 3032 was 370/168 repackaged to use separate 303x "channel director"

the 3033 started out being 370/168 wiring diagram mapped to newer chip
technology ... and packaged with one or more 303x "channel directors"

misc. past posts mentioning 303x "channel director" was 370/158
horizontal microcode engine with only the 370/158 integrated channel
horizontal microcode and w/o the 370 instruction emulation horizontal
microcode.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/97.html#20 Why Mainframes?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/98.html#23 Fear of Multiprocessing?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/99.html#7 IBM S/360
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/99.html#176 S/360 history
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/99.html#187 Merced Processor Support at it again
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000.html#78 Mainframe operating systems
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000c.html#69 Does the word "mainframe" still have a meaning?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000d.html#7 4341 was "Is a VAX a mainframe?"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000d.html#11 4341 was "Is a VAX a mainframe?"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000d.html#12 4341 was "Is a VAX a mainframe?"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000d.html#21 S/360 development burnout?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000g.html#11 360/370 instruction cycle time
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001b.html#83 Z/90, S/390, 370/ESA (slightly off topic)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001c.html#3 Z/90, S/390, 370/ESA (slightly off topic)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001c.html#6 OS/360 (was LINUS for S/390)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001i.html#34 IBM OS Timeline?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001j.html#3 YKYGOW...
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001j.html#14 Parity - why even or odd (was Re: Load Locked (was: IA64 running out of steam))
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001l.html#24 mainframe question
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001l.html#32 mainframe question
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002.html#36 a.f.c history checkup... (was What specifications will the standard year 2001 PC have?)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002.html#48 Microcode?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002d.html#7 IBM Mainframe at home
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002f.html#8 Is AMD doing an Intel?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002i.html#19 CDC6600 - just how powerful a machine was it?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002i.html#21 CDC6600 - just how powerful a machine was it?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002i.html#23 CDC6600 - just how powerful a machine was it?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002n.html#58 IBM S/370-168, 195, and 3033
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002p.html#59 AMP vs SMP
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003.html#39 Flex Question
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003g.html#22 303x, idals, dat, disk head settle, and other rambling folklore
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003g.html#32 One Processor is bad?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003m.html#31 SR 15,15 was: IEFBR14 Problems
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004.html#8 virtual-machine theory
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004.html#9 Dyadic
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004.html#10 Dyadic
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004.html#25 40th anniversary of IBM System/360 on 7 Apr 2004
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004d.html#12 real multi-tasking, multi-programming
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004e.html#51 Infiniband - practicalities for small clusters
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004f.html#21 Infiniband - practicalities for small clusters
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004g.html#17 Infiniband - practicalities for small clusters
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004g.html#50 Chained I/O's
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004m.html#17 mainframe and microprocessor
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004n.html#14 360 longevity, was RISCs too close to hardware?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004o.html#7 Integer types for 128-bit addressing
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005b.html#26 CAS and LL/SC
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005d.html#62 Misuse of word "microcode"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005e.html#59 System/360; Hardwired vs. Microcoded
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005f.html#41 Moving assembler programs above the line
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005h.html#40 Software for IBM 360/30
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005m.html#25 IBM's mini computers--lack thereof
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005p.html#1 Intel engineer discusses their dual-core design
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005q.html#30 HASP/ASP JES/JES2/JES3
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005s.html#22 MVCIN instruction
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006m.html#27 Old Hashing Routine
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006n.html#16 On the 370/165 and the 360/85
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006o.html#27 oops
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006q.html#31 VAXen with switchmode power supplies?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006r.html#34 REAL memory column in SDSF
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006r.html#40 REAL memory column in SDSF
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006s.html#40 Ranking of non-IBM mainframe builders?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006s.html#42 Ranking of non-IBM mainframe builders?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006t.html#19 old vm370 mitre benchmark
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007b.html#18 How many 36-bit Unix ports in the old days?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007d.html#21 How many 36-bit Unix ports in the old days?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007d.html#62 Cycles per ASM instruction
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007e.html#32 I/O in Emulated Mainframes
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007f.html#28 The Perfect Computer - 36 bits?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007f.html#65 History - Early Green Card
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#17 The Perfect Computer - 36 bits?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#23 The Perfect Computer - 36 bits?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#57 IBM to the PCM market(the sky is falling!!!the sky is falling!!)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007h.html#1 21st Century ISA goals?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007i.html#31 Latest Principles of Operation
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007j.html#29 John W. Backus, 82, Fortran developer, dies
From: John L on
>> Sounds reasonable to me. So an i860 qualifies?
>
>Hunting around the web, although I could not find any detailed
>description of the i860 instruction set

Gee, I have the programming manual right here on the shelf. You
never know when it might come in handy.

>architectures from Philips noted that the i860 could switch to a mode
>where it fetched instructions in pairs, such that one instruction had
>to be for the integer unit, and the other for the floating-point unit.

Right. There was also explicit pipelining in the FP unit so that in
pipelined mode, the result an instruction put into the register was
from the inputs three instructions ago. It was reasonably easy to
write efficient routines for dot products that did a multiply and add
of the elements of an array, but it was major challenge to keep the
CPU busy with more complex algorithms.

You could make a plausible argument that the 860 was the world's
narrowest VLIW. There were only three functional units to schedule,
but the interdependencies among them made it really hard to write good
code.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(a)iecc.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, ex-Mayor
"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Prev: Multiple Clock Domains on UP3
Next: Fast string functions