From: habshi on
Soon it will be too cheap to meter

excerpt

http://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/report-solar-electricity-cost-likely-fall-50-in-2009

Although the prices for solar panels and the levelized costs all have
dropped significantly, consumers aren't likely to see the same
reductions in how much they pay for solar power.

The significant pricing decline in solar energy equipment over the
past year � from silicon to cells to solar panels � has played a big
role in the levelized cost reductions. Solar panel manufacturers have
reported anywhere from a 30 percent to 50 percent drop in their
products' pricing. Supply outstripped demand as the recession dimmed
the banks' interest in loaning money to solar power project
developers.

The solar panel pricing decline has tapered off, while demand has
picked up nicely in the third quarter, particularly in Germany, where
generous government subsidies and banks' willingness to invest in
solar power projects are making Germany this year's top market.

In fact, a solar energy industry association in Germany told Reuters
that the country is likely to install between 2.5 to 3 gigawatts of
solar energy systems in 2009, up from a forecasted 2 gigawatts. Market
research firm iSuppli also recently revised its forecast for Germany
installations to 2.5 gigawatts from 1.53 gigawatts.

The German government has reported that the country saw 1.47 gigawatts
of new solar installations from January to September this year (see
Germany Installs 2.34GW, FIT to Decline 9-11%).

From: G=EMC^2 Glazier on
Sam I can design the right boiler to capture this magnified high
temperature from the Sun. It needs about 50 mirrors focused on the
bottom of the boiler. Secret is the design of the bottom of my boiler.
Sam I know how every thing works and how to improve on it. I am
clever,and very inventive. Sam have a nice Thanksgiving,and eat lots of
MSP. Bert

From: Sam Wormley on
G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
> Sam I can design the right boiler to capture this magnified high
> temperature from the Sun. It needs about 50 mirrors focused on the
> bottom of the boiler. Secret is the design of the bottom of my boiler.
> Sam I know how every thing works and how to improve on it. I am
> clever,and very inventive. Sam have a nice Thanksgiving,and eat lots of
> MSP. Bert

You don't get it, do you, Herb?

The Sun is not a reliable source of energy in the majority of
applications where a boiler is required.

On cannot "magnify the high temperature" from the sun. One can
concentrate the flux with lens or mirror, but one can never quite
duplicate the temperature of the solar surface for losses in the
atmosphere, glass and mirror surface.

Don't forget to make you boiler black Bert.

From: DanB on
habshi(a)anony.net wrote:
> Soon it will be too cheap to meter

Earth to hashbrains.....

ARRESTING NEW THINK TANK STUDY CONCLUDES: NO COMBINATION OF ALTERNATIVE
ENERGY SYSTEMS CAN REPLACE FOSSIL FUELS
Santa Rosa, CA (13. November 2009)

An alarming new study jointly released by two prominent California-based
environmental/economic think tanks, concludes that unrelenting energy
limits, even among alternative energy systems, will make it impossible
for the industrial system to continue operating at its present scale,
beyond the next few decades. The report finds that the current race by
industries and governments to develop new sustainable energy
technologies that can replace ecologically harmful and rapidly depleting
fossil fuel and nuclear technologies, will not prove sufficient, and
that this will require substantial adjustments in many operating
assumptions of modern society.

The new study (“Searching for a Miracle: Net Energy Limits & the Fate of
Industrial Society”) is the first major analysis to utilize the new
research tools of “full life cycle assessment” and “net energy ratios”
(Energy Returned on Energy Invested, EROEI), to compare all currently
proposed future scenarios for how industrial society can face its long
term future.

The report analyzes 18 of the most viable power production alternatives,
from traditional fossil fuels and nuclear, through wind, solar, wave,
geothermal, biomass, et. al. to identify their “net energy” ratios—the
amount of energy that must be invested in them vs. the amount of energy
they will be able to produce---as well as their environmental, social
and geopolitical impacts. It also considers such important factors as
resource and materials supply, resource location, transportation, waste
disposal issues, and others to create a full life cycle picture of each
technology's impacts.

“Searching for a Miracle” was published by the International Forum on
Globalization (IFG). The content was largely provided by the Post Carbon
Institute, a think tank that works toward a transition to a more
resilient, equitable, and sustainable world.

The principal author of the report is Richard Heinberg, Senior Fellow of
Post Carbon Institute, and the best-selling author of such books as “The
Party's Over”, ““Peak Everything”, and “Blackout”. The editor of the
project--part of the IFG's False Solutions program--is San Francisco
author Jerry Mander, who is Founder and Distinguished Fellow of IFG. His
previous popular books on economics and technology include: “Four
Arguments for the Elimination of Television”, “The Case Against the
Global Economy”, and “Alternatives to Globalization”.

Following are a few of the main conclusions of this report:

✦ As the world's higher-quality fossil fuel reserves rapidly deplete,
no combination of alternative energy sources is likely to be sufficient
to sustain industrial society at its present scale. Energy supply
problems, perhaps severe, are likely during the coming decade, worsening
as primary fuels become scarce and costly. Major adjustments will be
required in industrial production and personal consumption; attention
will need to be paid to stabilizing and reducing population levels over
the long term.

✦ Fossil fuels and high-quality uranium ores are depleting rapidly;
world oil production may already have peaked. Present expectations for
new technological replacements are probably overly optimistic with
regard to ecological sustainability, potential scale of development, and
levels of “net energy” gain—i.e., the amount of energy actually yielded
once energy inputs for the production process have been subtracted.
Technologies such as “carbon capture and sequestration” and “4th
generation” nuclear power remain largely hypothetical and may never be
deployed on a large scale, while the prospects for oil shale, tar sands,
and shale gas have been overstated to varying degrees.

✦ Certain energy production systems suffer from low or negative net
energy gain; these include most biofuels, hydrogen systems, oil shale,
tar sands, and biomass, some of which also present unacceptable
environmental problems (as is also true of conventional fossil fuels and
nuclear power). So far, the best prospects for large-scale production
and net-energy performance remain wind energy and certain forms of
solar, but these still face important limitations due to intermittency
of supply, remoteness of the best resources, materials needed for
large-scale deployment, and scale potential. Tidal and geothermal
power—which can have high net-energy yield but suffer from a low
potential energy production capacity—will prove marginally useful in a
diverse future energy supply mix.

✦ Limits to future energy supply are more dramatic if environmental
impacts are considered— including accelerating climate change, fresh
water scarcity, destruction of food-growing lands, shortages of
minerals, and threats to wildlife habitat.

✦ Given the above, it is necessary to prepare societies for dramatic
shifts in consumption and lifestyle expectations. It will also be
necessary to promote a new ethic of conservation throughout the
industrial world. A sharp reversal of today's globalization of
commercial activity—inherently wasteful for its transport energy
needs—must be anticipated and facilitated, and government leaders must
encourage a rapid evolution toward economies based on localism
especially for essential needs such as food and energy. The study
remarks that this is not necessarily a negative prospect, as some
research shows that, once basic human needs are met, high material
consumption levels do not correlate with high quality of life.

✦ The emphasis by policy makers on growth as the central goal and
measure of modern economies is no longer practical or viable, as growth
will be limited by both energy shortages and by society's inability to
continue venting energy production and consumption wastes (principally,
carbon dioxide) into the environment without catastrophic consequences.
Standards for economic success must shift from gross metrics of economic
activity, to more direct assessments of human well-being, equity, and
the health of the natural world.

✦ With energy supplies diminishing, raw material resources similarly
depleting, and crises such as climate change rapidly advancing, the
long-term goal of satisfying the needs of the world's poorest peoples—in
their attempts to recover from centuries of colonialism, resource
exploitation, and removal from traditional lands and economies—becomes
ever more daunting. Efforts at relieving poverty, both domestically and
internationally, will require more equitable reallocation of existing
real wealth.

✦ These factors must all be taken very seriously by policy makers in all
countries, and by global institutions that have thus far failed to be
realistic about what will be required to avoid future social and
economic breakdowns and geopolitical crises, as countries and peoples
compete for dwindling energy resources, raw materials, and agricultural
space. While it is not yet too late to change course, the opportunities
to avoid catastrophic economic, environmental, social, and political
impacts are few and quickly dwindling.

For further information, or additional copies of the report, please
contact the organizations below:

POST CARBON INSTITUTE
500 N. Main St., Suite 100
Sebastopol, CA 95472 USA
Tel: +1.707.823.8700 • Fax: +1.866.797.5820
http://www.postcarbon.org • media(a)postcarbon.org

From: G=EMC^2 Glazier on
Sam Big boiler insulated hold heat,and heat is potential energy.Boiler
location 100% important. Bottom shape of boiler 100% important. Tubes as
in high pressure boilers 100% important,and my added improvements 100%
important.. We need high dry steam to turn the turbine,and I have the
best thinking how to achieve this. I am clever,and to old to be modest
Bert