From: Smarty on
geoff wrote:

> Forgot the url:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uGA6-ASKK4
>
> --g

There is a really profound difference in the performance of video
editing software related to the specific format you capture your video
clips. For h.264/AVC content such as the prominent 1920 by 1080 HD
video now being captured by many consumer camcorders, the load is
several times greater than the older, HDV format mpeg2. Both of these
formats demand a lot more processing than DV or MJPEG video, older
formats prevelant before HD.

Some of the better non-linear editing suites, notably Edius with AVCHD
Booster and Cyberlink Power Director 8, seem to handle h.264 AVCHD
content especially well. Conversely, Adobe Premiere Elements, in the
present and prior versions, has ***never*** handled AVCHD well, and is
one of the several reasons I discourage others from using it entirely.

A fast quadcore such as the QX9650 or i7 class CPUs seem to handle the
most demanding 1920 by 1080 HD content quite adequately, but all of
these programs take a lot of time to render. Thankfully accelerators in
the form of the SpursEngine (from Leadtek, Grass Valley, Toshiba) and /
or the CUDA-accelerated GPU-assisted programs like Power Director 8 and
TMPG Express can gain a 2.5 or 3X speedup in some filtering and
rendering for those computers so equipped.

From: geoff on
One neat feature of PE8 is the luma key for adding stock footage. Do any of
the other suites you mention have that feature?

Also, which camcorder model do recommend for general use?

--g

From: Smarty on
geoff wrote:

> One neat feature of PE8 is the luma key for adding stock footage. Do
> any of the other suites you mention have that feature?
>
> Also, which camcorder model do recommend for general use?
>
> --g

The suites I previously mentioned do not provide a feature like the
Adobe Luma Key. Higher end suites like Sony Vegas have thresholding
controls which achieve a similar effect although not on a layered basis
like Premiere AFAIK.

I am personally a big fan of AVCHD memory card-based HD camcorders
(versus HDV tape based) having owned and used a half dozen of the
former and 4 of the latter personally, starting with the original Sony
FX-1 released 8 years ago. I personally like the Canon models like the
HFS Vixias, but have seen some very compelling new Sonys with their
Exmor sensor which make very nice videos as well. My preference for
Canon is mostly their instant focus, nice color balance, very good
stabilizer, and tack sharp lenses corner to corner, including their
wide angle adapters. I have DSLRs and lenses I also use for HD 1920 by
1080 capture also.

I have been authoring and editing HD in HDV originally with a single
core Pentium, then a quad core Intel Extreme QX9650 for AVCHD (with
hardware accelerators including both SpursEngine cells and CUDA chips).
I am presenting contemplating a more to a faster 6 core to speed up
rendering which if often painfully slow.

From: Flasherly on
On Aug 2, 10:30 pm, "geoff" <nos...(a)nospam.com> wrote:
> I gave Adobe Premiere Elements 8 a try and was surprised at how slow it was
> on my PC. I checked the Adobe forums and slowness and crashing of the
> program seem to be common issues.
>
> My pc is:
> 3.4 ghz, 4 core processor
> 4 gigs DDR2 1066 RAM
> Win XP
> ATI 4600 video card
>
> I checked Google videos and there are several 'how to's' for PE8. In one
> video, a person types in Notepad, the collapses it, types again, etc. and
> there appears to be no hesitation with PE8. On my machine, I restored and
> minimized Notepad several times and when it is minimized, PE8 redraws itself
> slow enough to see it.
>
> In another video, a HS kid does some cool stuff with no PE8 hesitation. I
> guess mommy got him a better machine than mine.
>
> It makes one wonder how manly (hardware wise) a PC needs to be to run PE8.
>
> NOTE: Everything (video card, etc.) is at the highest performance setting
> and the OS was reinstalled about 2 months ago.
>
> --g

I don't know about Adobe - other than staying away from most suites or
larger installs.

When I was editing, I'd go to a video forum and read up on what's
popular for standalone apps. Aside from not expecting much now, as I
did then, because I'm using the same processor I've had for five years
(duh!) -- "with" a multicore (had I one) assignable processes could be
different.

Still, getting video could be convoluted, and some of those standalone
"apps" were batched or rudimentary links from a dedicated batch to
hardcoded exe conversion involving half a dozen or more video
programs, I'd suspect no less for continuing to play hell at keeping
under control for prioritizing and core assignment processing.

Well, from that standpoint alone - coupled to a multicore, the options
are there. Matter of time, experimenting and implementing how an
individual side of staged video processing takes to a platform divided
by assignable cores. Of course video is demanding and has to be done
right smooth without introduced artifacts.

Suites are a step above, without all the screwing around with settings
and tweaks, but on the downside some are kludge to the Nth and can or
might be best left to take over a PC. Nothing in stone just means a
pain, when pushing a button across virtual EMS addressing, that hours
of video work might be rendered into trash because of a lack of
integrity between unrelated programs.

I'd set several vid projects up for hours ahead, leave it alone for
the duration, with ways after to quickly check for compromises and re-
rendering specific or problematic files that didn't take. Not exactly
a SUN station and CGI, though still pretty amazing stuff, video, as
the broadcasting field begins to open up around at 1Ghz processing
pwr.

SETI's cute and psychoacoustics was a nice taste, but video's still
present king of all application demands;- Somehow I wouldn't expect a
gamer, either, to be playing with a video encode running
simultaneously.
From: geoff on
I found someone with hardware similar to mine but they had an ATI 5770
graphics card.

That card made a difference but some delay could still be seen. I also
noticed that the splash has six lines of Indian names, so, it seems Adobe
has moved development to India. Many have not had much success with that
except when the software is in maintenance mode.

If it not were for the fact that PE8 has some features that no one else has
such as the luma key or green screen than I think not many people would use
them.

--g