From: geoff on
I gave Adobe Premiere Elements 8 a try and was surprised at how slow it was
on my PC. I checked the Adobe forums and slowness and crashing of the
program seem to be common issues.

My pc is:
3.4 ghz, 4 core processor
4 gigs DDR2 1066 RAM
Win XP
ATI 4600 video card

I checked Google videos and there are several 'how to's' for PE8. In one
video, a person types in Notepad, the collapses it, types again, etc. and
there appears to be no hesitation with PE8. On my machine, I restored and
minimized Notepad several times and when it is minimized, PE8 redraws itself
slow enough to see it.

In another video, a HS kid does some cool stuff with no PE8 hesitation. I
guess mommy got him a better machine than mine.

It makes one wonder how manly (hardware wise) a PC needs to be to run PE8.

NOTE: Everything (video card, etc.) is at the highest performance setting
and the OS was reinstalled about 2 months ago.

--g

From: Paul on
geoff wrote:
> I gave Adobe Premiere Elements 8 a try and was surprised at how slow it was
> on my PC. I checked the Adobe forums and slowness and crashing of the
> program seem to be common issues.
>
> My pc is:
> 3.4 ghz, 4 core processor
> 4 gigs DDR2 1066 RAM
> Win XP
> ATI 4600 video card
>
> I checked Google videos and there are several 'how to's' for PE8. In one
> video, a person types in Notepad, the collapses it, types again, etc. and
> there appears to be no hesitation with PE8. On my machine, I restored and
> minimized Notepad several times and when it is minimized, PE8 redraws itself
> slow enough to see it.
>
> In another video, a HS kid does some cool stuff with no PE8 hesitation. I
> guess mommy got him a better machine than mine.
>
> It makes one wonder how manly (hardware wise) a PC needs to be to run PE8.
>
> NOTE: Everything (video card, etc.) is at the highest performance setting
> and the OS was reinstalled about 2 months ago.
>
> --g

Actually, try turning down the video card acceleration slider,
restart the program, and test it again.

The thing is, that is a complicated program, and there may not be
a lot of solid technical information about how the program works.
(For example, whether it uses OpenGL to render the interface, or
some other method.) You would need details like that, to decide
where to look first. Normally, a video editor doesn't do much more
than draw into a bitmap (or an overlay plane), so it really shouldn't
require rocket science (like OpenGL).

A video editor can remain responsive, with what would be
pretty poor resources compared to your system. The rendering
phase, where all the filters and effects get applied, and the
video is compressed into its final form, that is a real test
of the hardware. But for the interactive part of it, even
a weaker PC should have been OK.

I've had a weird effect here before, involving my old video card,
where 2D acceleration would stop working (I'd alt-tab out of a
3D game, and 2D acceleration would be missing). So there are cases,
where it can be a driver issue of some sort. But if you're not seeing
weirdness in anything other than the Adobe program in question, that would
suggest it isn't a driver.

If that is an overclocked system, make sure the CPU stays under
the throttle temperature.

There was at least one platform, where throttling was a real issue.
That was the "Dell Throttlegate" issue. It can take a great deal
of work, to track down issues like this.

http://www.sigmirror.com/files/44490_iweoz/throttlegate.pdf (~25MB download)

BTW - The author of that article uses FurMark. That is fine, as long
as you're using a video card driver that is "protected" against FurMark.
When FurMark first came out, it was causing video cards to overheat.
Now, video drivers have a specific check for Furmark, and they don't
allow FurMark to run flat out. It's a form of "cheating" in a sense,
but with the good intent of not allowing hardware to be ruined.

Paul
From: Matthew on

"geoff" <nospam(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
>I gave Adobe Premiere Elements 8 a try and was surprised at how slow it was
>on my PC. I checked the Adobe forums and slowness and crashing of the
>program seem to be common issues.
>
> My pc is:
> 3.4 ghz, 4 core processor
> 4 gigs DDR2 1066 RAM
> Win XP
> ATI 4600 video card
>
> I checked Google videos and there are several 'how to's' for PE8. In one
> video, a person types in Notepad, the collapses it, types again, etc. and
> there appears to be no hesitation with PE8. On my machine, I restored and
> minimized Notepad several times and when it is minimized, PE8 redraws
> itself slow enough to see it.
>
> In another video, a HS kid does some cool stuff with no PE8 hesitation. I
> guess mommy got him a better machine than mine.
>
> It makes one wonder how manly (hardware wise) a PC needs to be to run PE8.
>
> NOTE: Everything (video card, etc.) is at the highest performance setting
> and the OS was reinstalled about 2 months ago.
>
> --g

I run Premiere and After Effects on a slower computer than that.... granted,
I have to wait on renders, but it doesn't sieze up and crash (well, other
than what's normal for Adobe products). Are you using a seperate drive for
video? What sort of video are you editing? What codecs are you using?

From: geoff on
> I run Premiere and After Effects on a slower computer than that....
> granted, I have to wait on renders, but it doesn't sieze up and crash
> (well, other than what's normal for Adobe products). Are you using a
> seperate drive for video? What sort of video are you editing? What codecs
> are you using?

I'm using the internal HD. I have two 500 gig drives. The video is from
their tutorial divided into lessons and is a series of short scenes of
London taken with a DV camera.

This guy says his hardware is:

'CPU T4300, 2.10GHz Processor, 4.0 Gb Ram, Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit.'

.. . . and he has no issues unless PE8 is somehow optimized for intel.

--g

From: geoff on
Forgot the URL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uGA6-ASKK4