From: Fishface on
geoff wrote:
> I gave Adobe Premiere Elements 8 a try and was surprised at how slow it was
> on my PC. I checked the Adobe forums and slowness and crashing of the
> program seem to be common issues.
>
> My pc is:
> 3.4 ghz, 4 core processor
> 4 gigs DDR2 1066 RAM
> Win XP
> ATI 4600 video card
>
> I checked Google videos and there are several 'how to's' for PE8. In one
> video, a person types in Notepad, the collapses it, types again, etc. and
> there appears to be no hesitation with PE8. On my machine, I restored and
> minimized Notepad several times and when it is minimized, PE8 redraws itself
> slow enough to see it.
>
> In another video, a HS kid does some cool stuff with no PE8 hesitation. I
> guess mommy got him a better machine than mine.
>
> It makes one wonder how manly (hardware wise) a PC needs to be to run PE8.
>
> NOTE: Everything (video card, etc.) is at the highest performance setting
> and the OS was reinstalled about 2 months ago.

Make sure your anti-virus program is not trying to scan everything on the fly.
I have found that it is best to have video editing programs read from and write
to different disks. I use Vegas and I haven't used Premiere Elements. I'm not
an Adobe fan since they tend not to fix bugs in existing products.
From: Flasherly on
On Aug 5, 12:40 am, "geoff" <nos...(a)nospam.com> wrote:
> I found someone with hardware similar to mine but they had an ATI 5770
> graphics card.
>
> That card made a difference but some delay could still be seen. I also
> noticed that the splash has six lines of Indian names, so, it seems Adobe
> has moved development to India. Many have not had much success with that
> except when the software is in maintenance mode.
>
> If it not were for the fact that PE8 has some features that no one else has
> such as the luma key or green screen than I think not many people would use
> them.
>
> --g

Pick up the phone and surprising how much gets routed to India. Think
I see what you're doing, though, using a 'green-screen' backdrop for
referencing the luma/chromatic scale. Serious pallette work, maybe.
I've only run with streaming video. Finally got a nice little Canon
camera -- photos, movies and audio, and it's largely still sitting in
the box after six months or more. Hmmm (next: bargain all-digital
camcorders)...

I know how you feel about "using them" -- still have Cool Edit Pro, a
release before Adobe bought it out (along with some add-on patches for
audio extractions and video sound mixes). *Everybody* tells me to
make more movies, music -- looks great, they like it -- just so long
as I'm the one doing all the background work. Hmmmm...

But then you know, of course, there's not a damn thing you can do if
the program's a kludged-up pre-release gumming up CPU utilization.
When doing video, enough to know I wanted it done right, it became a
realization not to mess with anything else and just let vid programs
have the computer until the stream finished.

Was a saying about computer boxes on retail shelves not long after
Wolfenstein and Doom came out -- games make 'em or break 'em.
Probably at some niche level theoretically even more apropos to video
editing.