From: David Mark on
Scott Sauyet wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
>> Ry Nohryb wrote:
>>> http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/theater/video.php?v=dahl-node
>> Do you read this group at all? :)
>>
>> Stop polluting your brain with YUI drivel. Do I really need to review
>> their "Node.js" or can we just agree that this post was some sort of bad
>> joke on your part?
>
> If someone is to review this, I hope it is not someone whose main
> focus seems to be on browser scripting.
>
> Node.js is all about server-side JS, using the V8 engine.

Fair enough, I thought it was going to be about one of YUI's DOM modules.

> I don't know enough about that subject to offer a review, but would
> love to see one from someone who does. There are some surprising
> results, including a simple server that outperforms nginx in requests/
> second.
>
> One interesting thing about the presentation is the argument that
> JavaScript is the perfect language for doing IO-centric operations if
> only JS supported IO. It's reasonably convincing.

I might look at it, but no promises. Not my bag really.
From: David Mark on
Ry Nohryb wrote:
> On May 25, 7:52 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ry Nohryb wrote:
>>> http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/theater/video.php?v=dahl-node
>> Do you read this group at all? :)
>>
>> Stop polluting your brain with YUI drivel. Do I really need to review
>> their "Node.js"
>
> Yes, you ought to. Node.js has nothing to do with YUI.

Well, that's something. :)

> Node.js is a
> wonderful thing for any JS programmer, even more so if he happens to
> love unix.

Whatever. Stupid name though. Sounds like a filename (hence my initial
confusion).

>> or can we just agree that this post was some sort of bad
>> joke on your part?
>
> You're a bit too much irascible, istm.

Don't be coy "Ry", you (and your previous identity) have a much-deserved
reputation for spamming this group with links to dubious videos (not to
mention being completely crackers). I really don't think my response
was unreasonable in that context.
From: Scott Sauyet on
David Mark wrote:
> Scott Sauyet wrote:
>> David Mark wrote:
>> [ ... ]
>> If someone is to review this, I hope it is not someone whose main
>> focus seems to be on browser scripting.
>> Node.js is all about server-side JS, using the V8 engine.
>
> Fair enough, I thought it was going to be about one of YUI's DOM modules.

Yes, a plain link without *any* description is pretty useless. Jorge,
next time could you supply a little context?

>> I don't know enough about that subject to offer a review, but would
>> love to see one from someone who does.  There are some surprising
>> results, including a simple server that outperforms nginx in requests/
>> second.
>
>> One interesting thing about the presentation is the argument that
>> JavaScript is the perfect language for doing IO-centric operations if
>> only JS supported IO.  It's reasonably convincing.
>
> I might look at it, but no promises.  Not my bag really.

No, I wasn't expecting you to. I'm wondering if there are those in
the group with the requisite expertise. I would really like to learn
more, because, for various reasons, I would love to use JS on the
server-side, and not in some Java ghetto as several of the server-side
JS solutions seem to prefer.

Anyone out there with expertise in web servers and/or server-side JS
want to offer analysis of this for us?

--
Scott
From: Garrett Smith on
On 5/25/2010 11:46 AM, David Mark wrote:
> Scott Sauyet wrote:
>> David Mark wrote:
>>> Do you read this group at all? :)
>>>
>>> Stop polluting your brain with YUI drivel. Do I really need to review
>>> their "Node.js" or can we just agree that this post was some sort of bad
>>> joke on your part?
>>
>> If someone is to review this, I hope it is not someone whose main
>> focus seems to be on browser scripting.
>>
>> Node.js is all about server-side JS, using the V8 engine.
>
> Fair enough, I thought it was going to be about one of YUI's DOM modules.

http://nodejs.org/

The most recent time this came up was when discussing "Non Browser
Implementations".
From: Ry Nohryb on
On May 25, 11:49 pm, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> The most recent time this came up was when discussing "Non Browser
> Implementations".

Yes, genius, yes. And 2 months ago, when discussing another of your
screwed-up FAQ entries: "FAQ Topic - How can I access the client-side
filesystem? ". See: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/browse_thread/thread/70bad3c72a796504

But, of course: http://google.com/search?q="node.js"+site:jibbering.com
sill yields: Your search - "node.js" site:jibbering.com - did not
match any documents

Because the FAQ is permanently outdated.
--
Jorge.