From: Ry Nohryb on
On May 25, 9:54 pm, Scott Sauyet <scott.sau...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> (...) Jorge, next time could you supply a little context? (...)

Sure, Scott. Here's some more:

http://jsconf.eu/2009/video_nodejs_by_ryan_dahl.html
http://vimeo.com/9968301

Enjoy,
--
Jorge.
From: David Mark on
On May 25, 6:29 pm, Ry Nohryb <jo...(a)jorgechamorro.com> wrote:
> On May 25, 11:49 pm, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > The most recent time this came up was when discussing "Non Browser
> > Implementations".
>
> Yes, genius, yes. And 2 months ago, when discussing another of your
> screwed-up FAQ entries: "FAQ Topic - How can I access the client-side
> filesystem? ". See:http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/browse_thread/thr...
>
> But, of course:http://google.com/search?q="node.js"+site:jibbering.com
> sill yields: Your search - "node.js" site:jibbering.com - did not
> match any documents
>
> Because the FAQ is permanently outdated.

Permanently outdated?
From: "Michael Haufe ("TNO")" on
On May 25, 1:12 pm, Scott Sauyet <scott.sau...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> If someone is to review this, I hope it is not someone whose main
> focus seems to be on browser scripting.
>
> Node.js is all about server-side JS, using the V8 engine.
>
> I don't know enough about that subject to offer a review, but would
> love to see one from someone who does.  There are some surprising
> results, including a simple server that outperforms nginx in requests/
> second.
>
> One interesting thing about the presentation is the argument that
> JavaScript is the perfect language for doing IO-centric operations if
> only JS supported IO.  It's reasonably convincing.

Here's my take on it having no knowledge of it beyond the video:

*built on V8, hence limited to that version of JS and not whats
supported in say Rhino

*For the same reason its better than Microsoft's JScript.

*Server Speed claim: Needs verification

*Consumes a significant amount of memory for what seems to be trivial
work.

*Uses CommonJS style "Modules". Whether this is a good idea and
approach is debateable as can be seen in the es-discuss mailing list.

*Concurrency with I/O as presented is far too vague to come to a
conclusion. It raises more questions than answers.

*All I/O requires a callback or so he claims. This is probably
inaccurate at best as I'm sure he doesn't include uses of the Date
object for example. Either way, this is pretty inconvenient in
comparison to most languages/frameworks.

*One of the design goals is to be Low-Level, but:"Threads should only
be used by experts.... you'll write it in C".
I guess his big ole brain knows better than anyone who plans to use
his invention.

*He's also agains the use of co-routines because they're too hard,

*A design issue that bugs me is the differing patterns for creating
objects.
Also the argument for the .end() method seems unnecessarily
redundant.

*overall I think its an immature and premature.

If you want JS on the server stick with Rhino or JScript at this point.
From: john on
On 25 May 2:54 PM, David Mark wrote:
> Ry Nohryb wrote:
>>> Do you read this group at all? :)
>>>
>>> Stop polluting your brain with YUI drivel. Do I really need to review
>>> their "Node.js"
>>
>> Yes, you ought to. Node.js has nothing to do with YUI.
>
> Well, that's something. :)

it's too bad that the experts/regulars in this group seem to be so
unaware of such an interesting project as to not even recognize its
name. to a novice (i.e. hobby programmer) such as myself it looks like
one of the more interesting additions to the ECMAScript ecosystem in
recent times (certainly more so than the seemingly never ending supply
of "cross browser" scripting libraries). doing system scripting, HTTP
servers, database drivers, web frameworks etc. in ECMAScript would seem
like more exciting work than what the typical web application offers. do
the people around here with a deep understanding of ECMAScript really
not find any interest in the language outside a browsing context?

>> Node.js is a
>> wonderful thing for any JS programmer, even more so if he happens to
>> love unix.
>
> Whatever. Stupid name though. Sounds like a filename (hence my initial
> confusion).

certainly no more "stupid" than a library named "My Library." honestly,
no offense meant as your library (among others maintained by regulars
here) has proved quite educational in my (so far insignificant) foray
into browser scripting; but this seems like a really silly criticism in
the broad scheme of things. in fact most popular open source projects
seem to have "stupid" names. perhaps it's part of a grand strategy :)
From: "Michael Haufe ("TNO")" on
On May 26, 1:05 am, john <john.loves.spam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> it's too bad that the experts/regulars in this group seem to be so
> unaware of such an interesting project as to not even recognize its
> name.

Its an old idea in a new form. node.js is far from the first foray of
JavaScript into the server (which was first seen in 1998 AFAIK with
Netscape). So is it innovative? No. Is it an interesting project?
Sure. Perhaps once it gains a 1.0 version status, and when the novelty
wears off it can be looked at in a more objective manner.

> do the people around here with a deep understanding of ECMAScript really
> not find any interest in the language outside a browsing context?

This is a false characterization and exaggeration of the people who
visit this group.