From: David Mark on
On May 26, 2:05 am, john <john.loves.spam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25 May 2:54 PM, David Mark wrote:
>
> > Ry Nohryb wrote:

> >> Yes, you ought to. Node.js has nothing to do with YUI.
>
> > Well, that's something.  :)
>
> it's too bad that the experts/regulars in this group seem to be so
> unaware of such an interesting project as to not even recognize its
> name.

It's not my job to keep up with every script ever written. I go where
the money is (and that's the client side where JS is concerned). ;)
From: David Mark on
On May 26, 7:44 pm, john <john.loves.spam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26 May 5:40 PM, Michael Haufe ("TNO") wrote:
>
> > On May 26, 5:08 pm, john<john.loves.spam...(a)gmail.com>  wrote:
> >> i don't know exactly what you're referring to from Netscape in 1998 but
> >> i'm guessing that was more about sharing front-end and back-end code;
> >> such as used in form validation. that's hardly comparable to what you
> >> could do with Node.
>
> > It was the oldest example I can think of for the language on the
> > server. You come across as if this was the first time its happened.
>
> right. as someone who has never used Windows i've never been able to do
> any system automation with ECMAScript. or maybe i just never realized it
> was possible. any Debian GNU/Linux or Mac OS users have pointers to the
> available options for scripting system tasks with ECMAScript?
>
> >> could you use this Netscape invention to script your
> >> laptop in 1998? for example could you have used it create a build tool?
> >> could you have built a simple HTTP server with it? an IRC server?
>
> > You've been able to do this with JScript for at least 10 years I
> > think.
>
> i can't find any examples of people writing simple HTTP or IRC servers
> with JScript. could you provide any details whatsoever about where to
> find information on creating a simple HTTP server with JScript? surely
> if it's been possible for a decade someone has published information
> about it.

It's not too difficult if you are familiar with the Windows Sockets
API. The way I would do it is to write an ActiveX object (in either VC
++ or VB) that handles all of the socket IO and instantiate it from a
shell script. .NET could be used for the middle piece as well, but I
never got into that. Such applications can be run from the command
line, other Windows applications and even Office macros. These
possibilities have existed for some time (over a decade), but I have
no idea who (if anyone) has used them to create an HTTP or IRC server.
From: "Michael Haufe ("TNO")" on
On May 26, 7:10 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> It's not too difficult if you are familiar with the Windows Sockets
> API.

Which is available through the .NET framework and as a traditional COM
component on Windows machines. Hence available to JScript and
JScript.NET

> The way I would do it is to write an ActiveX object (in either VC
> ++ or VB) that handles all of the socket IO and instantiate it from a
> shell script.  .NET could be used for the middle piece as well, but I
> never got into that.

Indeed. luckily this part is already written. Of course JScript.NET
could be used to write it for WScript to use. But that would be a bit
weird I think.

> Such applications can be run from the command
> line, other Windows applications and even Office macros.  These
> possibilities have existed for some time (over a decade), but I have
> no idea who (if anyone) has used them to create an HTTP or IRC server.

I do recall seeing an IRC server at one point. Not certain of the HTTP
server though. I'd have to dig through the web archive at some old ASP
+ sites (or whatever it was called backed then).
From: Ry Nohryb on
On May 27, 4:24 am, "Michael Haufe (\"TNO\")"
<t...(a)thenewobjective.com> wrote:
> On May 26, 7:10 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It's not too difficult if you are familiar with the Windows Sockets
> > API.
>
> Which is available through the .NET framework and as a traditional COM
> component on Windows machines. Hence available to JScript and
> JScript.NET
>
> > The way I would do it is to write an ActiveX object (in either VC
> > ++ or VB) that handles all of the socket IO and instantiate it from a
> > shell script.  .NET could be used for the middle piece as well, but I
> > never got into that.
>
> Indeed. luckily this part is already written. Of course JScript.NET
> could be used to write it for WScript to use. But that would be a bit
> weird I think.
>
> > Such applications can be run from the command
> > line, other Windows applications and even Office macros.  These
> > possibilities have existed for some time (over a decade), but I have
> > no idea who (if anyone) has used them to create an HTTP or IRC server.
>
> I do recall seeing an IRC server at one point. Not certain of the HTTP
> server though. I'd have to dig through the web archive at some old ASP
> + sites (or whatever it was called backed then).

So, a server in JScript, you say ? yeah, hahahaha, good joke... that
explains it all about you two. (deep smell of windows)
--
Jorge.
From: "Michael Haufe ("TNO")" on
On May 27, 3:14 am, Ry Nohryb <jo...(a)jorgechamorro.com> wrote:

> So, a server in JScript, you say ? yeah, hahahaha, good joke... that
> explains it all about you two. (deep smell of windows)

Expand your horizons my friend. You're living in a bubble.