From: Ignoramus8473 on
aOn 2010-07-24, Black Dragon <bd(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:
> Ignoramus7608 wrote:
>
>> This is a high end Bridgeport mill, which I bought for cheap due to a
>> bad control. Control was parted out to recoup my cost. (it paid for
>> the mill)
>
>> It runs Ubuntu and a special CNC system called EMC2 (linuxcnc.org).
>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_hsFnjDveY
>
>> I hope that you like it. This CNC stuff is actually very demanding and
>> needs a realtime kernel. The computer is about 7-8 years old from a
>> junk pile.
>
> From one machine head to another, congratulations! Glad to see you got
> it up and running. By your comments on youtube you've got yourself a good
> CNC mill for much less than what a decent used manual Bridgeport would
> cost, thanks largely to Linux and some mad skillz to make it all work.
> Sweet! :)

Linux was definitely very helpful.

> Interested in some Machine Pr0n? This 5 axis mill makes cutting Inconel
> airfoils look like everyday standard mills cutting aluminum. :)
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb2zxldbil4

Looks awesome!

My plans for the near future involve adding a 4th axis to the mill, as
I found a good deal on a used Troyke CNC rotary table. It also has a DC
servo motor (no control). It is not working, but looks like I could
fix it.

From: fdgfdsgsdfgdfsg on
Man-wai Chang said the following on 2010-07-24 14:03:
>> Problem is this
>>

>> youtube-dl -b -t 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_hsFnjDveY'
>
> you using the latest version of youtube-dl?

Yes!
From: notbob on
On 2010-07-24, Ignoramus7608 <ignoramus7608(a)NOSPAM.7608.invalid> wrote:

> I hope that you like it. This CNC stuff is actually very demanding and
> needs a realtime kernel. The computer is about 7-8 years old from a
> junk pile.

What? Was there any doubt linux could do the job?

nb
From: Ignoramus8473 on
["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.ubuntu.]
On 2010-07-24, notbob <notbob(a)nothome.com> wrote:
> On 2010-07-24, Ignoramus7608 <ignoramus7608(a)NOSPAM.7608.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I hope that you like it. This CNC stuff is actually very demanding and
>> needs a realtime kernel. The computer is about 7-8 years old from a
>> junk pile.
>
> What? Was there any doubt linux could do the job?

It is not just Linux. The EMC2 app itself is written by some very
talented and focused people. As is the kernel. I am very critical
about many linux things, but EMC2 and kernel are not among those.

From: DanS on
> CNC is a paradise for computer
> programmers. You need to know Descartes coordinates and
> trig very well,

That's not entirely true.

For those companies that can afford 'real' CNC machining centers, and quality s/w.

With conversational input of tool paths and CAM tools with post-processors that spit out
(virtually) ready to go G-code, you may need to do a very small amount of math, but you
certainly don't need to trig stuff out like you used to have to do.

You still have to know G-code, and tweak said post-processed code usually though, and
know what tools to use and the correct feeds and speeds for whatever material, and the
best order of ops for each piece, etc., so machinist skills still apply.......just not the math
so much.