From: Ignoramus7608 on
This is a high end Bridgeport mill, which I bought for cheap due to a
bad control. Control was parted out to recoup my cost. (it paid for
the mill)

It runs Ubuntu and a special CNC system called EMC2 (linuxcnc.org).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_hsFnjDveY

I hope that you like it. This CNC stuff is actually very demanding and
needs a realtime kernel. The computer is about 7-8 years old from a
junk pile.

From: The Hooded Plumber on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 19:30:57 -0500, Ignoramus7608
<ignoramus7608(a)NOSPAM.7608.invalid> wrote:

>This is a high end Bridgeport mill, which I bought for cheap due to a
>bad control. Control was parted out to recoup my cost. (it paid for
>the mill)
>
>It runs Ubuntu and a special CNC system called EMC2 (linuxcnc.org).
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_hsFnjDveY
>
>I hope that you like it. This CNC stuff is actually very demanding and
>needs a realtime kernel. The computer is about 7-8 years old from a
>junk pile.

Is that really you?

That's pretty kool!

When I was in high school, I went to a specialized high school for
smart kids like me <vbg> where we studied engineering, I had to make a
desktop name plate from scratch to learn the entire process.

We designed the plans in drafting class.
Made the pattern in pattern making class.
Cast the aluminum product in the foundry class.
Machined the project in machine shop where we used lathe, miliing
machine (that one scared me!) and so forth.

I really enjoyed that even though I was studying EE.
I think I learned more in high school than in college.

Back then (1970's) we still learned about tubes and all the machine
shop machines while totally professional, were manually controlled.
IOW you had to know how to cut your bit for the lathe and how to
operate the lathe etc.

From: Ignoramus7608 on
>On 2010-07-24, The Hooded Plumber <dimethalchrystalexiter(a)fakeee.org> wrote:
>
> Is that really you?

yes

> That's pretty kool!

thanks

> When I was in high school, I went to a specialized high school for
> smart kids like me <vbg> where we studied engineering, I had to make a
> desktop name plate from scratch to learn the entire process.

> We designed the plans in drafting class.
> Made the pattern in pattern making class.
> Cast the aluminum product in the foundry class.
> Machined the project in machine shop where we used lathe, miliing
> machine (that one scared me!) and so forth.
>
> I really enjoyed that even though I was studying EE.
> I think I learned more in high school than in college.

Same here. I certified as a lathe operator while in school.

> Back then (1970's) we still learned about tubes and all the machine
> shop machines while totally professional, were manually controlled.
> IOW you had to know how to cut your bit for the lathe and how to
> operate the lathe etc.

CNC is completely different from manual machining. It is like having a
cabinet with paper index cards, as opposed to a MySQL database. CNC is
a paradise for computer programmers. You need to know Descartes
coordinates and trig very well, but the rewards are tremendous. I did
not undertake so many projects due to being unable to do without CNC.

From: The Hooded Plumber on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 21:25:41 -0500, Ignoramus7608
<ignoramus7608(a)NOSPAM.7608.invalid> wrote:

>>On 2010-07-24, The Hooded Plumber <dimethalchrystalexiter(a)fakeee.org> wrote:
>>
>> Is that really you?
>
>yes
>
>> That's pretty kool!
>
>thanks
Ur welcome!!

>Same here. I certified as a lathe operator while in school.

I was certified as dangerous!!
Seriously, cutting threads by hand on a lathe for a lead screw was
very tricky.

>CNC is completely different from manual machining. It is like having a
>cabinet with paper index cards, as opposed to a MySQL database. CNC is
>a paradise for computer programmers. You need to know Descartes
>coordinates and trig very well, but the rewards are tremendous. I did
>not undertake so many projects due to being unable to do without CNC.

Good for you!!!!
This is an example of where Linux is perfect.
No arguments from me.

It's nice to see craftspeople at work and machinists in particular.
Real tough, even with the computer controlled machines.

I watched a machinist mill the LT1 engine block I had in my Caprice
SS.
It was fascinating!
From: owl on
In comp.os.linux.advocacy The Hooded Plumber <dimethalchrystalexiter(a)fakeee.org> wrote:

> When I was in high school, I went to a specialized high school for
> smart kids like me <vbg> where we studied engineering, I had to make a
> desktop name plate from scratch to learn the entire process.

The whole license plate thing must have been a piece of cake for you
then.