From: Christof Meerwald on
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 01:59:48 -0700 (PDT), CJB wrote:
> On Jul 16, 7:37�am, Chris Blunt <m...(a)nospam.com> wrote:
>> I have a Virgin PAYG SIM paid by direct debit. I only use it when I
>> visit the UK a couple of times a year. Am I likely to find it
>> disconnected if I don't make any calls for, say, 6 months?
> I would opine that Virgin will dd a new top up every so often
> (monthly?), and then if the phone is not used for a longer period you
> will lose that credit, only for another dd to be taken on schedule, ad

That's not how their dd tariff works - there is no periodic top-up,
you only pay for what you have actually used. Given that they don't
gain anything by keeping the number alive and as you can't sign up to
that tariff any more, I would be rather careful (I think the T&Cs
mention that the number can be disconnected after 6 months of not
making any calls).

Christof

http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
From: Steve Terry on
"Chris Blunt" <mail(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 21:28:14 +0100, "Steve Terry" <gfourwwk(a)tesco.net>
> wrote:
>
>>IMHO best was that their disuse period until recently was almost
>>unlimited.
>>Worse is they haven't developed competitive tariffs, and what was
>>one of the best customer services isn't anymore.
>
> What is their disuse policy now?
>
> I have a Virgin PAYG SIM paid by direct debit. I only use it when I
> visit the UK a couple of times a year. Am I likely to find it
> disconnected if I don't make any calls for, say, 6 months?
> Chris

Virgin mobile on Direct Debit turns it into a Zero per month contract
with contract privileges such as no disuse period, full roaming
with manual network selection, full diverts, and they used to have
free Itemised Billing (don't know if it still has?)

Virgin Mobile PAYG used to have at least a year or effectively no
disuse period, but now I wouldn't hope for more than 6 months.

In the past it was in Virgins interest to appear to have more users
than they really had so they left disused numbers on the system.
But since their partnership with T Mobile was revised into becoming
just another Virtual, Virgin now have an interest in recovering numbers
for reuse like every other network.

Steve Terry
--
Welcome Sign-up Bonus of �1 when you signup free at:
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/G4WWK

From: Chris Blunt on
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 23:54:11 +0100, "Steve Terry" <gfourwwk(a)tesco.net>
wrote:

>"Chris Blunt" <mail(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 21:28:14 +0100, "Steve Terry" <gfourwwk(a)tesco.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>IMHO best was that their disuse period until recently was almost
>>>unlimited.
>>>Worse is they haven't developed competitive tariffs, and what was
>>>one of the best customer services isn't anymore.
>>
>> What is their disuse policy now?
>>
>> I have a Virgin PAYG SIM paid by direct debit. I only use it when I
>> visit the UK a couple of times a year. Am I likely to find it
>> disconnected if I don't make any calls for, say, 6 months?
>> Chris
>>

>Virgin mobile on Direct Debit turns it into a Zero per month contract
>with contract privileges such as no disuse period, full roaming
>with manual network selection, full diverts, and they used to have
>free Itemised Billing (don't know if it still has?)
>
>Virgin Mobile PAYG used to have at least a year or effectively no
>disuse period, but now I wouldn't hope for more than 6 months.
>
>In the past it was in Virgins interest to appear to have more users
>than they really had so they left disused numbers on the system.
>But since their partnership with T Mobile was revised into becoming
>just another Virtual, Virgin now have an interest in recovering numbers
>for reuse like every other network.

My mistake for incorrectly describing it as PAYG. It started off as
PAYG but signing up for Direct Debit effectively turned it into a zero
tariff contract, as you say. Hopefully that will ensure that it isn't
subject to any disconnection.

Chris
From: CJB on
On Jul 11, 4:08 pm, CJB <chrisjbr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Last week I had £18 credt on a cheap and cheerful 'emergency' PAYG
> phone with Virgin. When I bought it and did the first PAYG top up I
> got 1Gb of Internet time (for use on a cheap WAP phone - doh!),and
> 1000 'free' text messages. But I rarely use it. Now I've just got a
> text saying that my credit balance is £1.84. AND I've lost the
> Internet time and the 'free' texts. Talk about a rip-off. And when I
> went into a Virgin store they didn't want to know and only reluctantly
> called  Virgin CS. But then the line was such bad quality I couldn't
> understand what the CSA was saying. Then after some convoluted
> security checks the woman asked me for a password. I never had one
> with the phone - it was a cheap and cheerful PAYG contract. So she
> said that without a password - even if all the other checks were OK -
> she couldn't proceed with my call. What a fcuking rip off. NEVER will
> I purchase from Virgin again.The Virgin SIM has now been dumped, and
> replaced with Lebara - which is supposed to give me 'free' calls to BT
> landlines. CJB. P.S. Not surprisingly the Virgin store was empty -
> can't think how they service in business.

Had to create an account on Virgin Mobile's web site to send CS an
email. That was on Jul 11. Then sent them an email of concern and
enquiry.

The webpage states:

SEND US AN EMAIL
If you've got a question, query or comment please email us using the
form below. We'll look into the details and get to you as quickly as
we can. It normally takes us less than 24 hours.

It is now Jul 19 and still I've heard nothing from them - ZERO ZILCH
SFA.

CJB.
From: CJB on
On Jul 19, 9:34 am, CJB <chrisjbr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 11, 4:08 pm, CJB <chrisjbr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Last week I had £18 credt on a cheap and cheerful 'emergency' PAYG
> > phone with Virgin. When I bought it and did the first PAYG top up I
> > got 1Gb of Internet time (for use on a cheap WAP phone - doh!),and
> > 1000 'free' text messages. But I rarely use it. Now I've just got a
> > text saying that my credit balance is £1.84. AND I've lost the
> > Internet time and the 'free' texts. Talk about a rip-off. And when I
> > went into a Virgin store they didn't want to know and only reluctantly
> > called  Virgin CS. But then the line was such bad quality I couldn't
> > understand what the CSA was saying. Then after some convoluted
> > security checks the woman asked me for a password. I never had one
> > with the phone - it was a cheap and cheerful PAYG contract. So she
> > said that without a password - even if all the other checks were OK -
> > she couldn't proceed with my call. What a fcuking rip off. NEVER will
> > I purchase from Virgin again.The Virgin SIM has now been dumped, and
> > replaced with Lebara - which is supposed to give me 'free' calls to BT
> > landlines. CJB. P.S. Not surprisingly the Virgin store was empty -
> > can't think how they service in business.
>
> Had to create an account on Virgin Mobile's web site to send CS an
> email. That was on Jul 11. Then sent them an email of concern and
> enquiry.
>
> The webpage states:
>
> SEND US AN EMAIL
> If you've got a question, query or comment please email us using the
> form below. We'll look into the details and get to you as quickly as
> we can. It normally takes us less than 24 hours.
>
> It is now Jul 19 and still I've heard nothing from them - ZERO ZILCH
> SFA.
>
> CJB.

Just had an email from Virgin stating that they have tried to contact
me by phone this morning and that they *know* that they can help me.
I've had all my phones (3) charged and switched on all morning. Damned
liers. Par for the course for a mobile telco. who couldn't give a
damn.

As soon as I've got the phone unlocked its Lebara PAYG. Virgin can
take a running jump.

CJB.