From: CJB on
On Jul 19, 1:13 pm, CJB <chrisjbr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 19, 9:34 am, CJB <chrisjbr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 11, 4:08 pm, CJB <chrisjbr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Last week I had £18 credt on a cheap and cheerful 'emergency' PAYG
> > > phone with Virgin. When I bought it and did the first PAYG top up I
> > > got 1Gb of Internet time (for use on a cheap WAP phone - doh!),and
> > > 1000 'free' text messages. But I rarely use it. Now I've just got a
> > > text saying that my credit balance is £1.84. AND I've lost the
> > > Internet time and the 'free' texts. Talk about a rip-off. And when I
> > > went into a Virgin store they didn't want to know and only reluctantly
> > > called  Virgin CS. But then the line was such bad quality I couldn't
> > > understand what the CSA was saying. Then after some convoluted
> > > security checks the woman asked me for a password. I never had one
> > > with the phone - it was a cheap and cheerful PAYG contract. So she
> > > said that without a password - even if all the other checks were OK -
> > > she couldn't proceed with my call. What a fcuking rip off. NEVER will
> > > I purchase from Virgin again.The Virgin SIM has now been dumped, and
> > > replaced with Lebara - which is supposed to give me 'free' calls to BT
> > > landlines. CJB. P.S. Not surprisingly the Virgin store was empty -
> > > can't think how they service in business.
>
> > Had to create an account on Virgin Mobile's web site to send CS an
> > email. That was on Jul 11. Then sent them an email of concern and
> > enquiry.
>
> > The webpage states:
>
> > SEND US AN EMAIL
> > If you've got a question, query or comment please email us using the
> > form below. We'll look into the details and get to you as quickly as
> > we can. It normally takes us less than 24 hours.
>
> > It is now Jul 19 and still I've heard nothing from them - ZERO ZILCH
> > SFA.
>
> > CJB.
>
> Just had an email from Virgin stating that they have tried to contact
> me by phone this morning and that they *know* that they can help me.
> I've had all my phones (3) charged and switched on all morning. Damned
> liers. Par for the course for a mobile telco. who couldn't give a
> damn.
>
> As soon as I've got the phone unlocked its Lebara PAYG. Virgin can
> take a running jump.
>
> CJB.

I have discovered that Virgin are charging me something like 50p a day
for not using their PAYG phone. So it didn't take long for them to
steal my £20 (or so) credit from about a month ago.

My balance is now 49p. So tomorrow this will be reduced to -1p or 0p.
After that they can cry in the wind - I am NOT topping up.

CJB.
From: Theo Markettos on
CJB <chrisjbrady(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I have discovered that Virgin are charging me something like 50p a day
> for not using their PAYG phone. So it didn't take long for them to
> steal my £20 (or so) credit from about a month ago.

Are you sure that you haven't any applications on your phone that are using
data? You seem to have had lots of problems with disappearing credit on
several networks, which nobody else seems to have.

Virgin charge 30p/day for any amount of data, so even a simple email check
will be costing 30p/day.

Try setting your connectivity settings to 'always ask', and then don't allow
applications to make data connections unless you need them. If there's a
'connection manager' you can also make sure they're killed when you stop
data-using apps, so nothing grabs data while you aren't looking.

For example, a 'check for firmware updates' function will trigger a data
connection unless you disable it. If it's set to always ask, you should
then notice that it's trying to connect.

Also try leaving the phone switched off, and seeing if you balance goes
down.

Theo
From: CJB on
On Jul 19, 5:56 pm, Theo Markettos <theom+n...(a)chiark.greenend.org.uk>
wrote:
> CJB <chrisjbr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have discovered that Virgin are charging me something like 50p a day
> > for not using their PAYG phone. So it didn't take long for them to
> > steal my £20 (or so) credit from about a month ago.
>
> Are you sure that you haven't any applications on your phone that are using
> data?  You seem to have had lots of problems with disappearing credit on
> several networks, which nobody else seems to have.
>
> Virgin charge 30p/day for any amount of data, so even a simple email check
> will be costing 30p/day.
>
> Try setting your connectivity settings to 'always ask', and then don't allow
> applications to make data connections unless you need them.  If there's a
> 'connection manager' you can also make sure they're killed when you stop
> data-using apps, so nothing grabs data while you aren't looking.
>
> For example, a 'check for firmware updates' function will trigger a data
> connection unless you disable it.  If it's set to always ask, you should
> then notice that it's trying to connect.
>
> Also try leaving the phone switched off, and seeing if you balance goes
> down.
>
> Theo

The Virgin phone is WAP only. And so slow I never use it.

I sussed the leak on Three to having Facebook open and automatically
updating. Another app. I never used were the automated RSS feeds -
which I also closed down. Now the S2 doesn't leak credit anymore.

But the Virgin Alcatel VM 621i does seem to be losing credit though -
although I'm not knowingly running anything on it.

CJB.
From: Theo Markettos on
CJB <chrisjbrady(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> The Virgin phone is WAP only. And so slow I never use it.

OK, go into connection settings and delete any APNs that you have saved
there. Then it absolutely cannot use data.

> But the Virgin Alcatel VM 621i does seem to be losing credit though -
> although I'm not knowingly running anything on it.

Try checking your balance every day and seeing what granularity of charging
is going on - is it in small daily units, or big lumps? Switch the phone
off and see if the balance still goes down.

You haven't someone become subscribed to premium rate texts, have you?
(Even if it's a new number, if it's been recycled it's possible the old user
subscribed and the text company hasn't been notified than the number went
out of service). Have you received any texts you weren't expecting?

Theo
From: Steve Terry on
"CJB" <chrisjbrady(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Jul 20, 10:49 am, occassionally-confu...(a)nospam.co.uk wrote:
> CJB <chrisjbr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>Thank guys. I tried a Lebara SIM in it and it said "SIM card missing"
>Since the damn thing only cost a fiver I wont unlock it - I'll simply
>donate it to that charity that sends the things to Africa. Then they
>can get it unlocked etc.
>Chris B.

As African networks haven't signed up to the Dublin blacklist database,
the most sought after phones are anything blacklisted.

Steve Terry
--
Welcome Sign-up Bonus of �1 when you signup free at:
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/G4WWK