From: MEB on
On 02/08/2010 03:36 PM, Eric Allen wrote:
> MEB wrote:
>> On 02/08/2010 03:09 PM, Eric Allen wrote:
>>> MEB wrote:
>

>> AH, you run two at once?
>>
>> Or is one used as a standby not running commandline/interface check
>> only status?
>>
> I have 3 machines, and yes, I can run each AV as stand alone to check up
> on the other, but as I said, paying for 2 or 3 AV's is getting
> expensive. Just trying to get input from others and choose just one to
> keep.

Oh, I understand now, separate machines with different AV. Good idea
though the LiveCD idea is better, though not necessarily easier... you
COULD use the free version of which ever one you don't choose.

Might want to look at some of these to help determine the issue:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Anti-virus+testing&btnG=Search

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm
From: Eric Allen on
MEB wrote:
> On 02/08/2010 03:36 PM, Eric Allen wrote:
>> MEB wrote:
>>> AH, you run two at once?
>>>
>>> Or is one used as a standby not running commandline/interface check
>>> only status?
>>>
>> I have 3 machines, and yes, I can run each AV as stand alone to check up
>> on the other, but as I said, paying for 2 or 3 AV's is getting
>> expensive. Just trying to get input from others and choose just one to
>> keep.
>
> Oh, I understand now, separate machines with different AV. Good idea
> though the LiveCD idea is better, though not necessarily easier... you
> COULD use the free version of which ever one you don't choose.
>
> Might want to look at some of these to help determine the issue:
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Anti-virus+testing&btnG=Search

ok, I'll check that out
From: MEB on
On 02/08/2010 03:58 PM, Eric Allen wrote:
> MEB wrote:

>>> I have 3 machines, and yes, I can run each AV as stand alone to check up
>>> on the other, but as I said, paying for 2 or 3 AV's is getting
>>> expensive. Just trying to get input from others and choose just one to
>>> keep.
>>
>> Oh, I understand now, separate machines with different AV. Good idea
>> though the LiveCD idea is better, though not necessarily easier... you
>> COULD use the free version of which ever one you don't choose.
>>
>> Might want to look at some of these to help determine the issue:
>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Anti-virus+testing&btnG=Search
>>
> ok, I'll check that out

Well, let us know what you come up with, just remember what my first
post tried to offer as explanation pursuant what you will find.

From: Eric Allen on
MEB wrote:
> On 02/08/2010 03:58 PM, Eric Allen wrote:
>> MEB wrote:

>>> Oh, I understand now, separate machines with different AV. Good idea
>>> though the LiveCD idea is better, though not necessarily easier... you
>>> COULD use the free version of which ever one you don't choose.
>>>
>>> Might want to look at some of these to help determine the issue:
>>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Anti-virus+testing&btnG=Search
>>>
>> ok, I'll check that out
>
> Well, let us know what you come up with, just remember what my first
> post tried to offer as explanation pursuant what you will find.

EICAR.COM test completed, both found the virus, guess it now comes down
to personal interface choice. :)
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Eric Allen" <eric-allen(a)peoplepc.com>

| Out of curiosity, which avti-virus program is better, Avast or AVG ?

There is no such word as virii or viri in crrelation to computers. The plural of 'virus'
is viruses.

http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/plural-of-virus.html
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/plural-of-virus.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plural_of_virus

Avira AntiVir is better than both Avast and AVG.

--
Dave