From: Steve Jain [MVP] on
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 19:36:01 -0800, Karl G <Karl
G(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am at my wits end. I am running XP SP3 and a Virtual machine Running Win
>Server 2003. I have tried everything from loopback adapters, local only, ICS,
>etc. and I can not get my host to see my guest and vice versa. When I set the
>Network settings in Virtual PC to use my Wireless Adapter or my LAN adapter I
>can ping the router from both machines but not each other. My current
>settings are...
>
>HOST: Loopback Adapter 192.168.5.1, MASK 255.255.255.0, No gateway
>VM: LAN Adapter 192.168.5.2 MASK 255.255.255.0, No gateway
>
>Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! I really need to get this to work for
>an new job I am starting next week. Thanks in advance.

Did you check your firewall?

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
From: Karl G on
Thanks for responding, yes the firewall is trurned completely off on both the
virtual and host.

From: Karl G on
I got it working (partially) with the following configuration.

VPC Network Settings - Wireless NIC
Disabled all other network cards (LAN, IEEE, Loopback) except the wireless
card.
I can now browse using Internet Explorer to and from each host/vm

I can not ping or map network drives which is a necessity. I even tried FTP
as a backup and that does not work either. Permissions on the shares are set
correctly and the firewalls on both host and VM are disabled.

Any clues?

From: Bo Berglund on
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 16:50:01 -0800, Karl G
<KarlG(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I got it working (partially) with the following configuration.
>
>VPC Network Settings - Wireless NIC
>Disabled all other network cards (LAN, IEEE, Loopback) except the wireless
>card.
>I can now browse using Internet Explorer to and from each host/vm
>
>I can not ping or map network drives which is a necessity. I even tried FTP
>as a backup and that does not work either. Permissions on the shares are set
>correctly and the firewalls on both host and VM are disabled.
>
>Any clues?

Have you tried this (from another post):

You set up a loopback adapter on the host, then configure the VM
to use it as its NIC and you will be able to have host-guest
communication. IIRC, there is a detailed help file in VPC for this.

Of course this limits communicetion to between the guest and host
only, no Internet access from the guests.
--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: Karl G on
Thanks Bo for responding and yes I have tried that with no luck. I am
beginning to think there is a limitation to the Wireless Adapter as I D/L
VNWare 7 and can't get the host/guest communication working there either with
the exception of HTTP protocol.