From: Bob Villa on
On Jul 14, 9:04 pm, Ron <r...(a)dslnorthwest.net> wrote:
> I hate Windows XP but it came with the laptop. But the AV program that
> I use is AVG, but I can't use any program at all: *everything* I try
> to run causes a message saying the  program is infected! Unless I get
> a better idea, I may have to do a root canal and replace the OS--
> preferably with something more reliable like Windows 2k.
>
> Ron
>
> Joe3301...(a)aol.com wrote:
> > Whenever my computer acts strange or hesitates,  even though I have
> > McAfee antivirus software, I found "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" finds
> > bad, bad, bad things that my virus program did not.
>
> > I use the free version of it and give it about 2 hours to run a full
> > scan.
>
> > On Jul 14, 4:48 am, Ron <r...(a)dslnorthwest.net> wrote:
> > > I was looking over some Instructable and the anti-virus software that
> > > came with the new laptop started kicking up a fuss, supposedly about
> > > about detecting a virus. But when I tried to do something about it,
> > > every time I opened a program-- any program-- it would close
> > > immediately and I would get a message saying the program was infected..
> > > If it was only one program, that'd probably be true, but every program
> > > and file I have can't be infected!
>
> > > This is a very annoying situation, and probably a dangerous one too
> > > since I can't get anything done Does anyone know of a way to remedy
> > > this problem so I can shut off the anti-virus program (I tried Add/
> > > Remove Programs but according to a window, that's infected too.
> > > Right...) so I can do a proper system check?
>
> > > Ron

Try running MB in "SafeMode" (as suggested). XP is my #1 fave OS (W2K
2nd) There are always "things" you hate about an OS! : (
From: BJ on
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 01:48:53 -0700 (PDT), Ron <ryon(a)dslnorthwest.net>
wrote:

>I was looking over some Instructable and the anti-virus software that
>came with the new laptop started kicking up a fuss, supposedly about
>about detecting a virus. But when I tried to do something about it,
>every time I opened a program-- any program-- it would close
>immediately and I would get a message saying the program was infected.
>If it was only one program, that'd probably be true, but every program
>and file I have can't be infected!
>
>This is a very annoying situation, and probably a dangerous one too
>since I can't get anything done Does anyone know of a way to remedy
>this problem so I can shut off the anti-virus program (I tried Add/
>Remove Programs but according to a window, that's infected too.
>Right...) so I can do a proper system check?
>
>Ron

Go to any off-beat sites or click on any ad banners lately?
What was the last thing you did before your problem appeared?

Go into safe mode, and see if you can do a system restore.
If you can't you've been infected. If you've been infected
by one of these worms, Good Luck! They infest your machine
and are very difficult to remove.

BTW, you should probably do some reading:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

It's one of the only sites I know of that does actual AV testing.

BJ
--
I have nothing important to say...
From: Bob Villa on

http://nsslabs.com/
From: BJ on
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 04:34:20 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
<pheeh.zero(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jul 15, 6:03�am, BJ <backroadjun...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 01:48:53 -0700 (PDT), Ron <r...(a)dslnorthwest.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I was looking over some Instructable and the anti-virus software that
>> >came with the new laptop started kicking up a fuss, supposedly about
>> >about detecting a virus. But when I tried to do something about it,
>> >every time I opened a program-- any program-- it would close
>> >immediately and I would get a message saying the program was infected.
>> >If it was only one program, that'd probably be true, but every program
>> >and file I have can't be infected!
>>
>> >This is a very annoying situation, and probably a dangerous one too
>> >since I can't get anything done Does anyone know of a way to remedy
>> >this problem so I can shut off the anti-virus program (I tried Add/
>> >Remove Programs but according to a window, that's infected too.
>> >Right...) so I can do a proper system check?
>>
>> >Ron
>>
>> Go to any off-beat sites or click on any ad banners lately?
>> What was the last thing you did before your problem appeared?
>>
>> Go into safe mode, and see if you can do a system restore.
>> If you can't you've been infected. �If you've been infected
>> by one of these worms, Good Luck! �They infest your machine
>> and are very difficult to remove.
>>
>> BTW, you should probably do some reading:
>>
>> http://www.av-comparatives.org/
>>
>> It's one of the only sites I know of that does actual AV testing.
>>
>> BJ
>> --
>> I have nothing important to say...
>
>http://nsslabs.com/

Thanks for the link. I'll register later today and do some reading.

BJ
--
I have nothing important to say...
From: Ron on

John Doue wrote:
> On 7/15/2010 5:04 AM, Ron wrote:
> > I hate Windows XP but it came with the laptop. But the AV program that
> > I use is AVG, but I can't use any program at all:*everything* I try
> > to run causes a message saying the program is infected!
>
> Even when you try to launch ... AVG?

If it wasn't so annoying, this would almost be funny. I can't open
*any* program at all without getting the "infected" pop-up and AVG
won't run in safe mode, So now I'm beginning to think that maybe
nothing is really infected, but the OS got itself screwed somehow;
none of the past OSes had built-in security, and I think I can now see
why.

Ron