From: AJL on
Ron <ryon(a)dslnorthwest.net> wrote:

>John Doue wrote:
>> On 7/15/2010 5:04 AM, Ron wrote:
>> > I hate Windows XP but it came with the laptop. But the AV program that
>> > I use is AVG, but I can't use any program at all:*everything* I try
>> > to run causes a message saying the program is infected!
>>
>> Even when you try to launch ... AVG?
>
>If it wasn't so annoying, this would almost be funny. I can't open
>*any* program at all without getting the "infected" pop-up and AVG
>won't run in safe mode, So now I'm beginning to think that maybe
>nothing is really infected, but the OS got itself screwed somehow;
>none of the past OSes had built-in security, and I think I can now see
>why.

Sounds like time to use the recovery disk. If you don't have one there
may be one available online, check the mfg website. Even if you got it
working now I wouldn't trust it...
From: Bob Villa on
On Jul 15, 8:52 pm, Ron <r...(a)dslnorthwest.net> wrote:
> John Doue wrote:
> > On 7/15/2010 5:04 AM, Ron wrote:
> > > I hate Windows XP but it came with the laptop. But the AV program that
> > > I use is AVG, but I can't use any program at all:*everything*  I try
> > > to run causes a message saying the  program is infected!
>
> > Even when you try to launch ... AVG?
>
> If it wasn't so annoying, this would almost be funny. I can't open
> *any* program at all without getting the "infected" pop-up and AVG
> won't run in safe mode,  So now I'm beginning to think that maybe
> nothing is really infected, but the OS got itself screwed somehow;
> none of the past OSes had built-in security, and I think I can now see
> why.
>
> Ron

Will MB run in SafeMode? If you don't take any advice why post here?
From: Ron on

Bob Villa wrote:
> On Jul 15, 8:52 pm, Ron <r...(a)dslnorthwest.net> wrote:
> > John Doue wrote:
>
> Will MB run in SafeMode? If you don't take any advice why post here?

Getting snippy helps no one. But here's some things to ponder: 1) I
don't have MB and 2) in safe mode, I can't get on the Internet to
download it or anything else. 3) In safe mode, some-- if not many--
programs don't work at all.

Ron
From: Ron on

> Sounds like time to use the recovery disk. If you don't have one there
> may be one available online, check the mfg website. Even if you got it
> working now I wouldn't trust it...

In the past, on my PC, I would use a floppy to get into the system at
the command prompt and erase just about everything from the Windows
directory, then reload the OS; I've never had any problems after that.

But on this new laptop, I don't have a floppy drive to interrupt the
the command prompt becomes trickier. Oy...

Ron
From: Richard Bonner on
Ron (ryon(a)dslnorthwest.net) wrote:
> I hate Windows XP but it came with the laptop. But the AV program that
> I use is AVG, but I can't use any program at all: *everything* I try
> to run causes a message saying the program is infected! Unless I get
> a better idea, I may have to do a root canal and replace the OS--
> preferably with something more reliable like Windows 2k.

> Ron

*** I have a friend that swears by Win 2K.

If you decide to switch to a different operating system, I suggest
Debian or Linux Mint. Regarding the latter, last year two friends of mine
switched from XP to Mint and won't go back for any reason, now.

--
Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/