From: Bob Villa on
On Jul 17, 2:08 pm, "C.Joseph Drayton" <c.jos...(a)csdcs.site90.net>
wrote:
> On 7/14/2010 2:48 AM, Ron wrote:
>
> > I was looking over some Instructable and the anti-virus software that
> > came with the new laptop started kicking up a fuss, supposedly about
> > about detecting a virus. But when I tried to do something about it,
> > every time I opened a program-- any program-- it would close
> > immediately and I would get a message saying the program was infected.
> > If it was only one program, that'd probably be true, but every program
> > and file I have can't be infected!
>
> > This is a very annoying situation, and probably a dangerous one too
> > since I can't get anything done Does anyone know of a way to remedy
> > this problem so I can shut off the anti-virus program (I tried Add/
> > Remove Programs but according to a window, that's infected too.
> > Right...) so I can do a proper system check?
>
> > Ron
>
> Hi Ron,
>
> If the machine you sent this article on has a CD burner, I would
> download Hiren's Boot CD (its an ISO that needs to be burned to a CD).
>
>    http://www.hirensbootcd.net/
>
> I would then boot the Hiren's Boot CD. Note that you may have to change
> the boot order in the BIOS.
>
> I only like a few of the tools that are on that CD, but if when the CD's
> boot menu comes up you chose 'Mini WindowsXp', you can than plug in a
> thumbdrive that has the tools of your choice. I would probably use;
>
>     1) ClamWin Portable
>        http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/clamwin_portable
>
>     2) Spybot Search & Destroy
>        http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
>
>     3) Rootkit Revealer
>        http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897445.aspx
>
> That should get you cleaned up. If nothing else, it will allow you to
> make a backup of your data files to an external drive. Then in the event
> you cannot remove the malware you will be able to initialize the system
> and restore your data from the external backup.
>
> Sincerely,
> C.Joseph Drayton, Ph.D. AS&T
>
> CSD Computer Services
>
> Web site:http://csdcs.site90.net/
> E-mail: c.jos...(a)csdcs.site90.net

Thanks for the information C. Joseph.
From: Ron on

Richard Bonner wrote:
> Ron (ryon(a)dslnorthwest.net) wrote:
> > I hate Windows XP but it came with the laptop. But the AV program that
> > I use is AVG, but I can't use any program at all: *everything* I try
> > to run causes a message saying the program is infected! Unless I get
> > a better idea, I may have to do a root canal and replace the OS--
> > preferably with something more reliable like Windows 2k.
>
> > Ron
>
> *** I have a friend that swears by Win 2K.
>
> If you decide to switch to a different operating system, I suggest
> Debian or Linux Mint. Regarding the latter, last year two friends of mine
> switched from XP to Mint and won't go back for any reason, now.

Almost forever I've relied on NT-- 3.51, then 4.0, then to Win 2k--
and I always relied on its usually rock-steady architecture. Every
time Microsoft gets cutesy, XP and Vista, there's always a disaster
just waiting to happen.

I have a Win 2k disk, but I lost the ID number somewhere. If I could
ever find it, I would get rid of XP and stick with something I know is
reliable. I don't have the funds now, but I know Win 2k is fairly
cheap these days; I'm gonna buy a replacement copy when I can and
stick with an OS that I know I can count on. :-)

Ron
From: BillW50 on
In news:i1s4dc$g4s$1(a)speranza.aioe.org,
John Doue typed on Sat, 17 Jul 2010 14:33:04 +0300:
> Floppy USB drives are reasonably inexpensive. I seldom use the one I
> have but I do, it means I am in deep trouble. Saved my bacon several
> times.

Bootable flash or USB drives are faster than floppy drives though. Yes I
have one of those USB floppy drives too, but who knows why I do though?

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2

From: BillW50 on
Richard Bonner wrote:
> Ron (ryon(a)dslnorthwest.net) wrote:
>> I hate Windows XP but it came with the laptop. But the AV program that
>> I use is AVG, but I can't use any program at all: *everything* I try
>> to run causes a message saying the program is infected! Unless I get
>> a better idea, I may have to do a root canal and replace the OS--
>> preferably with something more reliable like Windows 2k.
>
>> Ron
>
> *** I have a friend that swears by Win 2K.
>
> If you decide to switch to a different operating system, I suggest
> Debian or Linux Mint. Regarding the latter, last year two friends of mine
> switched from XP to Mint and won't go back for any reason, now.

Here are my OS stats:

1) Windows XP runs 100% of what I want to run.

2) Windows 7 runs 85% of what I want to run (plus it is much slower).

3) Windows 2000 runs 80% of what I want to run (as fast as Windows XP or
sometimes faster).

4) Linux runs 5% of what I want to run. And Linux is also awful when it
comes to running multimedia. As you need 3x more processing power than
XP does on the same machine. Plus Linux support for different file types
is very limited.

So when somebody brags about Linux, I want to challenge them and make
them prove that Linux is worth anything for the 99% of the computer
users that hate it! All it does is turn your powerful computer into a
glorified PDA. And why in the world would you want to do this for?

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
From: John Doue on
On 7/20/2010 1:10 AM, BillW50 wrote:
> Richard Bonner wrote:
>> Ron (ryon(a)dslnorthwest.net) wrote:
>>> I hate Windows XP but it came with the laptop. But the AV program that
>>> I use is AVG, but I can't use any program at all: *everything* I try
>>> to run causes a message saying the program is infected! Unless I get
>>> a better idea, I may have to do a root canal and replace the OS--
>>> preferably with something more reliable like Windows 2k.
>>
>>> Ron
>>
>> *** I have a friend that swears by Win 2K.
>> If you decide to switch to a different operating system, I suggest
>> Debian or Linux Mint. Regarding the latter, last year two friends of mine
>> switched from XP to Mint and won't go back for any reason, now.
>>

> Here are my OS stats:
>
> 1) Windows XP runs 100% of what I want to run.
>
> 2) Windows 7 runs 85% of what I want to run (plus it is much slower).
>
> 3) Windows 2000 runs 80% of what I want to run (as fast as Windows XP or
> sometimes faster).
>
> 4) Linux runs 5% of what I want to run. And Linux is also awful when it
> comes to running multimedia. As you need 3x more processing power than
> XP does on the same machine. Plus Linux support for different file types
> is very limited.
>
> So when somebody brags about Linux, I want to challenge them and make
> them prove that Linux is worth anything for the 99% of the computer
> users that hate it! All it does is turn your powerful computer into a
> glorified PDA. And why in the world would you want to do this for?

Bill,

I am surprised Richard did not mention DOS ... I seem to remember he is
a big fan of it. What would your stats be? :-).

--
John Doue