From: CJL on
I installed Carbonite on a friends computer ever since then he has been
getting the following pop ups when Carbonite is running.

Cannot Install this Hardware

There was a problem installing this hardware:

Volume Snapshot

An error occurred during the installation of the device

Found New Hardware

Generic volume shadow copy

When we disable Carbonite the pop ups stop.

Thanks

Chris

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4670 (20091208) __________

http://www.eset.com

From: Leonard Grey on
What does Carbonite say?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

From: CJL on

"Carbonite uses VSS (Volume Shadow Service) to backup files while they are
in use. However, Windows only allows one instance of VSS at a time. So
that we suggest you to disable the other program which is using VSS to see
if there is any improvement or you get the resolution of your issue. Please
let us know if you have another issues, we will be happy to assist you. "

How do I find out what other program is using VSS?

From: Jose on
On Dec 8, 11:02 am, "CJL" <c...(a)invalid.com> wrote:
> "Carbonite uses VSS (Volume Shadow Service) to backup files while they are
> in use.  However, Windows only allows one instance of VSS at a time.  So
> that we suggest you to disable the other program which is using VSS to see
> if there is any improvement or you get the resolution of your issue. Please
> let us know if you have another issues, we will be happy to assist you. "
>
> How do I find out what other program is using VSS?
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris
>
> __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4670 (20091208) __________

> http://www.eset.com

Is that what they really say?

They need to go back to skool, then learn how to write problem
resolution articles that do not generate more questions.
From: Leonard Grey on
The Volume Shadow Service is used to make point-in-time copies of files,
also known as shadow copies or 'snapshots'. The VSS makes it possible to
backup open files (i.e., files currently in use.)

The most logical use for the VSS is for backing up. If there are other
backup programs installed, you should make sure they are not running at
the time Carbonite is backing up.

However, VSS errors might have other causes. Open the Application Error
log of Event Viewer and look for VSS errors that were recorded at the
time you saw the Carbonite error message. If you need help interpreting
what you see, just copy and paste the error message in your next post.

Carbonite technical support is in the best position to help with error
messages generated by their service. You can contact Carbonite technical
support by e-mail, by chat or by 'phone.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est