From: Johnr on

Winxpie8

WINXPHome32BIt ver2002 SP3 (AMD XP300+ 2.17Gb Ram2Gbs 2Xhd both
75Gbs) VID ATI Radeon 9600/9550/X1050 series

Hi are any of you getting this sort of problem?
Since upgrading from ie7 to ie8 roughly 6mths ago I find slowly at
first but gradually becoming more and more frequently while I am using
IE8 it crashes. Most times it will recover but occasionally it wil BSD
and reboot. I send the reports as requested by the MS system but do not
restore from any earlier points as I believe the IE8 is itself the
problem. I had hoped over time MS would eventually come out with a
hotfix or some other repair but that is looking dim and distant.

I did not have this or any other problems before and now regret
installing IE8.

I use OE8 and dont want to risk losing my em system as I have an
enormous amount os stuff there -- so although I would like to revert to
IE7 but I am wary of the change.

I am a regular player of CS with no problems experienced there and I
have no other probs with my kit including OE8 (other than when I look at
my restore points I see a lot of Software Distribution Service 30
entries(problem?? dont know).

Would be interested in any viewpoints you may have.

--
Johnr
Johnr's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/170615.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Shenan Stanley on
Johnr wrote:
> Winxpie8
>
> WINXPHome32BIt ver2002 SP3 (AMD XP300+ 2.17Gb Ram2Gbs 2Xhd both
> 75Gbs) VID ATI Radeon 9600/9550/X1050 series
>
> Hi are any of you getting this sort of problem?
> Since upgrading from ie7 to ie8 roughly 6mths ago I find slowly at
> first but gradually becoming more and more frequently while I am
> using IE8 it crashes. Most times it will recover but occasionally
> it wil BSD and reboot. I send the reports as requested by the MS
> system but do not restore from any earlier points as I believe the
> IE8 is itself the problem. I had hoped over time MS would
> eventually come out with a hotfix or some other repair but that is
> looking dim and distant.
>
> I did not have this or any other problems before and now regret
> installing IE8.
>
> I use OE8 and dont want to risk losing my em system as I have an
> enormous amount os stuff there -- so although I would like to
> revert to IE7 but I am wary of the change.
>
> I am a regular player of CS with no problems experienced there and I
> have no other probs with my kit including OE8 (other than when I
> look at my restore points I see a lot of Software Distribution
> Service 30 entries(problem?? dont know).
>
> Would be interested in any viewpoints you may have.

There is no such thing as "OE8". <-- Outlook Express is still and will
always be Outlook Express 6 - latest version 6.00.2900.5512 I believe.

Revert back to Internet Explorer 7 if you wish - it should have no effect on
Outlook Express.

Or I would scan for malware, update your Windows Update system, CHKDSK,
defragment, uninstall any third party firewalls and use the built in Windows
XP Firewall, cleanup old files, uninstall unused applications, uninstall any
third-party plugins you have - especially toolbars - for Internet Explorer
and install the latest versions of the ones you do need (quicktime, flash,
shockwave, real alternative maybe...) and ensure that Windows XP and all the
applications you have installed are as up to date as possible.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Johnr on

Hi Shenan, thank you for replying.
Just to be sure, as I understand it from you I may remove IE8 and OE6
will still be there?

From: Shenan Stanley on
Johnr wrote:
> Hi Shenan, thank you for replying.
> Just to be sure, as I understand it from you I may remove IE8 and
> OE6 will still be there?

Yes

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Johnr on

O K and Thanks Shenan.
One last question, how do I retain access to all the varied and many
sites and favourites I have built up over the last year before I dump
IE8?
Regards,
John