From: Walter Banks on

Bowser wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 09:09:51 -0400, Walter Banks
> <walter(a)bytecraft.com> wrote:
>
> >> Come and get it, some new wallpaper for your wide screen monitor:
> >>
> >> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/wallpaper
> >

> >http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/125832806
> >New Orleans-02.jpg
> >
> >Not actually sure who submitted this. Great shot of the
> >panhandler, would have made a good faces shot. As
> >wallpaper it lacks the depth of field that would have
> >drawn the viewer in on those daydreaming moments.
> >

> It's mine, now renamed as Bowser.jpg...
>
> Hey, it's baby guy. What more do you need on your desktop?

I was guessing that it might have been yours. Looks like he
street was dark, Besides the panhandler there was a lot
going on, maybe the dark and misty part of life.

w..

From: Bowser on
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 09:30:22 -0400, "David Ruether"
<d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> wrote:

>"Bowser" <Canon(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote in message
>
>> Come and get it, some new wallpaper for your wide screen monitor:
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/wallpaper
>
>Some nice ones. My favorites are:
>
>Elliot Roper Sandpaper
>Wal_Robert_Spanjaard
>[SI]-wallpaper-sid
>
>Others may have too much dark/light areas to back up icons,
>or parts that are extraneous, or awkwardly (and annoyingly...)
>tilted, overly (and unevenly across the screen) detailed, etc.,
>but some of these do fall into another "2nd best" category for
>me...;-)
>--DR

Like "baby guy?"

:-)
From: Paul Furman on
Paul Furman wrote:
>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/125832815
>> desktop_Paul-Furman_PBF9600-627.jpg
>> This is interesting. I am not sure how to take it.
>> I keep being drawn back it by the detail and color
>> in the feathers.
>
> This is a lot more distracting than I would normally choose but I think
> the consistency allows it work. I find it very hypnotic - great for
> drifting off day dreaming while also very stimulating. If you don't like
> the crop, here's the full size 10MP original:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/4719290929/sizes/o/
> Stack of 28 uzing Zerene Stacker with Nikon D200 and Nikon CF N Plan 10x
> 0.30 NA 160/0.17 microscope objective on a bellows at effective f/27, 3
> sec, 16x (64,500 ppi).

To clarify, that's 16x magnification on a 10 MP APS sensor, so it's a
1.5mm wide scene. I've begun noting the magnification as ppi, like
compared to if you dropped the subject on a film scanner at 7,000 ppi;
this is close to 70,000 ppi. Some of that can be empty magnification
though and this is pushed enough to waste plenty of pixels so full size
isn't super detailed.
From: Walter Banks on

Savageduck wrote:

> Walter Banks
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/125832808
>
> Nice waterfall, but as a wallpaper I find the vegetation on the sides
> problematic with regard to icon placement.

Try it as a real wallpaper. I had it on a computer for about a month
the trick for icons seems to be a consistent color on the left edge.

For a while I was shooting one image a week to use on my
work computer. A lot of the material came from backwoods walks
and local critters.

w..

From: Peter on
"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message

>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/125832814
>> acaidanrockspeternewman.jpg
>> Sounds of the sea, you can hear the crash of the waves
>
> This works a lot better than I guessed it would. Very nice. However, the
> white balance seems wrong and it appears to be tilted, giving kind of a
> seasick feeling.

Thanks for your helopful comment. Although it is no excuse, I bolor balanced
this on my laptop instead of my regular monitor. I agree ;the color balance
is a little too green and the rocks a lot darker on my regular monitor.
Perhaps others can learn from my mistake. I had not noticed that the
incoming tide gives the illusion of a tilt. I will have to play with that.

--
Peter