From: Bowser on
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 12:08:48 -0400, Walter Banks
<walter(a)bytecraft.com> wrote:

>Bowser wrote:

>> >http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/125832806
>> >New Orleans-02.jpg
>> >
>> >Not actually sure who submitted this. Great shot of the
>> >panhandler, would have made a good faces shot. As
>> >wallpaper it lacks the depth of field that would have
>> >drawn the viewer in on those daydreaming moments.
>> >

>> It's mine, now renamed as Bowser.jpg...
>>
>> Hey, it's baby guy. What more do you need on your desktop?
>
>I was guessing that it might have been yours. Looks like he
>street was dark, Besides the panhandler there was a lot
>going on, maybe the dark and misty part of life.
>
>w..

that, and it was the first week in a couple of months where I was able
to carry a camera. The back is back!
From: tony cooper on
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 07:38:31 -0400, Bowser <Canon(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote:

>Come and get it, some new wallpaper for your wide screen monitor:
>
>http://www.pbase.com/shootin/wallpaper

There are only a few submissions that I feel would make good
wallpaper. Good photographs...several. But, the wallpaper should be
- in my opinion - an image that allows an arrangement of icons that
are clearly visible and do not impinge of the central point of the
subject.

Tim Conway's submission is an excellent photograph, but plastering
icons on it ruin it as a photograph. With 20 or 30 icons in that
scene it would become a mess even if you kept the icons to the upper
left in the trees.

The Duck's image, with icons, would lose that symmetry that makes it
interesting. Icons would look very out-of-place in Peter Newman's
shot (which is grossly over-sharpened). Bret's image is a superb
image but one that would be tacky as hell with icons. Bowser's is the
worst as far as wallpaper material.

And so on. I am not at all impressed with this month's collection
because it's a purpose-designed project and the submissions don't
handle the purpose.

Perhaps I keep more icons visible than others, but there's no way I
would try to fit my icons around some of those images. For the most
part, I'd ruin some good photographs and make my icon distribution far
too complicated.

If I used a screen-saver, most of these would work for that. But I
don't use a screen-saver.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: otter on
On Jun 22, 6:38 am, Bowser <Ca...(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote:
> Come and get it, some new wallpaper for your wide screen monitor:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/wallpaper

Nice pics. Top 3 (IMHO):
1. Spanjaard
2. Douglas
3. Roper

This ordering is considering the purpose being wallpaper. The
Spanjaard pic is very easy on the eyes.

I also liked the New Orleans pic, but not as wallpaper. That wouldn't
last long on my screen.

I took some pics, but not all that happy with them, for various
reasons. Maybe next time.
From: Tzortzakakis Dimitris on

? "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> ?????? ??? ??????
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 08:36:32 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>>On 2010-06-22 06:26:41 -0700, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net>
>>said:

>>> Dunno what's going on, but none of these fit my 22" monitor (Samsung
>>> SyncMaster 2253LW). I need to scroll to see the entire image on every
>>> one.
>>
>>Have you actually set any of the others as wallpaper on your monitor,
>>or did you just view them
>>in the PBase web browser?
>
> Just the pBase browser. I don't use wallpaper, and wouldn't even use
> my own submission. I use "Fences" (
> http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/downloads.asp ) on my desktop
> and prefer a nice, clean, imageless background.
>

>>Is your display set at 1920 x 1200?
>>Mine was submitted at 1920 x 1200. When set as wallpaper it fits fine
>>on my monitor, as I am sure yours does.
>>In a browser (and I checked using Safari & Chrome) at "original" size
>>on PBase I have the same issue as you, and I am sure that is because
>>the browser window does not cover the full screen size of a 1920 x 1200
>>resolution monitor.
>>So to view the full images in the PBase browser window I just set the
>>viewing size at "Large" not "Original."
>>

>>> I tested my submission, and it fits my monitor perfectly. No
>>> scrolling required. When I click on the pBase page to see my
>>> submission, it is larger than my screen. What was an image that left
>>> plenty of space for icons in light-colored background areas, is now
>>> too crowded with the jumper.
>>>
>>> When I shot this image I forgot to set the temperature switch on my
>>> camera, so the sky is the actual color it was in nature.
>>
>>I only had a meat thermometer handy, and I couldn't find a good
>>insertion point on my camera. ;-)
>
> John Sisker is looking for a insertion point in his camera. If he
> forces it in, it will be a wrecktal thermometer.
Oh, are we going back to chromogenic colour developers:-)

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

From: Neil on
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 07:38:31 -0400, Bowser wrote:

> Come and get it, some new wallpaper for your wide screen monitor:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/wallpaper

This is a photo. group. Surely everyone here shoots their own wallpaper.

--
Neil - reverse 'ra' and delete 'l'.