From: Jolly Roger on
In article
<michelle-F89B17.17380503082010(a)reserved-multicast-range-not-delegated.e
xample.com>,
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <i3ab41$dvj$3(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> Wes Groleau <Groleau+news(a)FreeShell.org> wrote:
>
> > > If you had noticed, I waited until JR tried it first.
> >
> > The reason I didn't quote you is because I was referring
> > to _anyone_ who would take the bait.
>
> But you replied to my message.

And nobody "took the bait". It's quite possible to examine things like
this in a controlled environment.

JR
From: Jolly Roger on
In article
<michelle-775DE0.06405304082010(a)reserved-multicast-range-not-delegated.e
xample.com>,
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <jollyroger-0F3B28.08130904082010(a)news.individual.net>,
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > > Well, it did cause a very noticeable slowdown on mine after I posted that
> > > reply, but it wasn't anything that a restart couldn't fix.
> >
> > Not here. No restart required.
>
> It might be system or hardware dependent, especially the video card.
>
> iMac core 2 duo, 2.16 MHz with Radeon X1600 video processor with 128 Megs
> VRAM. Mac OS X 10.6.4.

I don't get the impression it's related to the video card at all. The
problem happens when you mount the disk image, and at that time, the
image is not displayed. A memory leak combined with a low memory
condition might cause sluggishness, though. I have 10 GB of RAM
installed on this particular machine, so it might take longer for me to
see the effect. I killed the process after 60 seconds or so.

JR
From: Warren Oates on
In article <i3a9gl$5l9$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Wes Groleau <Groleau+news(a)FreeShell.org> wrote:

> I find it fascinating that someone could promise that
> an action would crash your computer, and you would do
> that action merely to prove him wrong.

Well, here's how to crash a Mac Pro:

Burn a DVD with Toast. When Toast finishes it puts up a dialog asking
whether you want to mount or eject the new DVD. Don't do either, just
absentmindedly push the "eject" button on your keyboard to eject the
disc (while the dialog is still on the screen waiting for a decision).
Crash. Every time. Doh. Slap myself upside the head.

A real crash too, everything frozen locked up solid. I suppose I could
probably log in from another machine and issue kill 9 commands all over
the place. It's easier just to be nice to Toast.
--
Very old woody beets will never cook tender.
-- Fannie Farmer
From: Warren Oates on
In article <C87E178E.3A7E8%ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com>,
George Kerby <ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> You are braver than me. I hit download - but didn't open it.

It didn't do anything here. Aperture wanted to import it, and Preview
just displayed it.
From: Jolly Roger on
In article
<michelle-2A5CDA.08445804082010(a)reserved-multicast-range-not-delegated.e
xample.com>,
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <4c5985c0$0$9355$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com>,
> Warren Oates <warren.oates(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Well, here's how to crash a Mac Pro:
> >
> > Burn a DVD with Toast. When Toast finishes it puts up a dialog asking
> > whether you want to mount or eject the new DVD. Don't do either, just
> > absentmindedly push the "eject" button on your keyboard to eject the
> > disc (while the dialog is still on the screen waiting for a decision).
> > Crash. Every time. Doh. Slap myself upside the head.
> >
> > A real crash too, everything frozen locked up solid.
>
> Technically, a freeze rather than a crash. I wonder what, if anything,
> would happen if you tried to put the DVD back in the drive.

That's nasty. Someone should alert the makers of Toast about it.

JR