From: Jolly Roger on
In article
<michelle-7BD490.08484104082010(a)reserved-multicast-range-not-delegated.e
xample.com>,
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <jollyroger-F1261C.09023704082010(a)news.individual.net>,
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't get the impression it's related to the video card at all. The
> > problem happens when you mount the disk image, and at that time, the
> > image is not displayed.
>
> When I mount the disk image, I get an icon inside the virtual disk (maybe
> inside a folder inside the virtual disk; I forget); double-clicking on that
> icon opens the file with Preview.

If you had been watching more carefully, you would have noticed that
MassStorageDevice (or whatever the name of the process is) started
consuming abnormal amounts of CPU time just after mounting the disk
image, even before you opened the folder containing the image. This
indicates the issue has nothing to do with actual display of the image.

> > A memory leak combined with a low memory condition might cause
> > sluggishness, though. I have 10 GB of RAM installed on this particular
> > machine, so it might take longer for me to see the effect. I killed the
> > process after 60 seconds or so.
>
> I have only 3 GB, and had a number of other apps open at the time.

So it's possible the reduced performance is due to memory limitations.

JR
From: Richard Maine on
<me(a)privacy.net> wrote:

> If you hadn't done a "force quit", it would have continued
> to eat up more'n'more memory. Try it again, *without* the
> forced quit, and watch what happens. The iMac will crumble,
> as MassStorageCamera consumes all memory and all processors.

And it surprises anyone that this kind of thing can happen? I could
duplicate that behavior in about 5 lines of code for pretty much any
kind of system. I've seen it done often enough (but usually by accident
and using a lot more than 5 lines of code). Well, ok. Make that any kind
of system you are likely to find on a personal computer. Bigger systems
sometimes have resource limits that kick you out before you do much
damage. Sometimes. I've personally seen plenty of servers crash when
abused in ways like that, though, particularly if the user running the
program had elevated system privileges, but sometimes even if he didn't.
And I've seen even more servers slowed to a useless crawl, even though
they had not technically crashed.

In other equally surprising news...

If you throw a Mac down a high enough staircase, it is likely to crash.

Reminds me of a joke that was going around work back in the early days
of Macs, when they were these small little machines with tiny screens.
In the same time frame, our Sun workstations tended to have big (for
then) 21" CRT monitors. If you don't think 21" sounds big, realize that
a typical weight of the monitor alone was 70 pounds, if I recall
correctly. The joke went...

Q. Why is a Sun workstation better than a Mac?

A. Because it makes a much more satisfying crash if you get disgusted
and throw it down the stairwell.

I was not a Mac user (at all) at the time. I did most of my work then on
a Sun, but I could well appreciate the joke.

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain
From: Steven Fisher on
In article <jollyroger-6D86EA.17284703082010(a)news.individual.net>,
Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:

> *shrug* Who cares. Move on.

Easy enough, but if this image has been floating around for years I
wonder if anyone has *ever* reported it.

Steve
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <sdfisher-CB6509.09431506082010(a)shawnews.vc.shawcable.net>,
Steven Fisher <sdfisher(a)spamcop.net> wrote:

> In article <jollyroger-6D86EA.17284703082010(a)news.individual.net>,
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > *shrug* Who cares. Move on.
>
> Easy enough, but if this image has been floating around for years I
> wonder if anyone has *ever* reported it.
>

> Steve

If the OP had genuinely cared, he might have reported it rather than
bitching and moaning to a bunch of other Mac users on Usenet about it.

JR
From: Steven Fisher on
In article <jollyroger-D78118.13214206082010(a)news.individual.net>,
Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:

> If the OP had genuinely cared, he might have reported it rather than
> bitching and moaning to a bunch of other Mac users on Usenet about it.

Oh, you misunderstand me. The posting was whiny and stupid, totally
agreed there. I'm just trying to decide if I should bother reporting the
actual problem. :)

Steve