From: Twayne on
In news:uATpno2CLHA.5436(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
news.microsoft.com <pjp_is_located_@_hotmail_dot_com> typed:
> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news.microsoft.com wrote:
>>> Bought a copy of MS Streets & Trips short time ago. I
>>> already had a number of GPS programs but bought the
>>> package because it included a small GPS receiver that
>>> connects to a usb port. S&T works as expected, GPS receiver doesn't work
>>> anywhere
>>> near reliably, perhaps 5% of time (at first, doesn't seem
>>> to do more than light up now) and has never kept working
>>> longer than a few minutes.
>>> And that's across 4 pcs so I think it safe to assume
>>> it's toast given everything works properly when I hook up
>>> my standalone Garmin GPS to any of these software
>>> packages. MS takes no responsibility for the peice of hardware,
>>> even stating in the packaging (only readable after
>>> opening) to go to Pharos (GPS manufacturer) for support
>>> for it. Pharos simply stated 'take it back and get your
>>> money back'!!! Dealer won't take it back as it was old
>>> stock when I bought it at a loss already for him instead
>>> telling me to "send it in for warranty". WHAT F***ING WARRANTY does one
>>> have when both pass the
>>> buck for brand new item.
>>>
>>> So I end up swallowing another cost for something that
>>> doesn't work and never did.
>>>
>>> MS, you wonder why I will try first and sometimes
>>> continue to use "pirated" software. You steal money out
>>> of my pocket continually for defective products so it's
>>> the only way to protect myself.
>>
>> You bought a probably out-of-date version of something at
>> a discounted price and it didn't go well so you are
>> blaming someone else?
>
> No, I went into a store and bought a product in it's
> original packaging at the
> asking price. The included hardware does not work and
> neither MS (who "branded" the product) nor the hardware
> manufacturer take any reasponsibility.
>
> THAT AIN"T RIGHT!!!
>

>> What do your parents/teachers say?
>
> Morally and ethically they'd agree. I know right from wrong
> and it's certainly
> wrong that it's the paying consumer always taking the
> chance if it works or not with no recourse. If the dealer
> won't take it back, MS should least offer
> a refund as it is their product. And I don't care when it
> was made, it isn't biological
> so didn't "go bad".
>
> As I said, just drives people to pirate. You don't like
> that; too bad. I couldn't give
> a hoot what you do or don't like, just give me back my
> money.
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP
>> --
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

To the OP:

OK: Provide your full name, street address, city/state/zip and phone, along
with a valid e-mail address and an alternate e-mail address (no disposable
accounts, BTW) in a return post. Also include the proof of purchase,
date/time of sale and invoice number. In return you'll receive an RMA number
within three weeks and within 6 weeks after that, you'll receive notice
whether you'll receive another like product or a check for the amount you
paid, less S&H of course.
We'll also need you to return the complete product, properly packaged,
and all documentaiton what was supplied with the item in question. To verify
that you at one time actually installed the product, we will also need to
access your computer remotely for that verification. No personal information
will be sent to us that we don't already have during that access. The only
other check to be made of course will be to ascertain that your activation
code is current and functional.
65% Restocking charges will be applied, based on the then current selling
price of the item when you send us the bad unit, postage paid and a full
explanation of the problems you experienced.

From: news.microsoft.com on

"Bob I" <birelan(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Since the software works, and that isn't what your beef is, WHY are you
> ranting here? Also thanks for telling the world you are a self proclaimed
> thief!

I bought it for the hardware (included GPS transponder). Certainly didn't
care if I had S&T as I already have OziExplorer, Garmin Mapsource, MapPoint
(later ver than the S&T) and MapSend. I'll repeat, the included hardware
doesn't work hence I should be able to get a refund which I can't as no-one
takes any responsibility. That's what the rants about!

From: news.microsoft.com on

"Twayne" <nobody(a)spamcop.net> wrote in message
> In news:uATpno2CLHA.5436(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
> news.microsoft.com <pjp_is_located_@_hotmail_dot_com> typed:
>> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> You bought a probably out-of-date version of something at
>>> a discounted price and it didn't go well so you are
>>> blaming someone else?
>>
>> No, I went into a store and bought a product in it's
>> original packaging at the
>> asking price. The included hardware does not work and
>> neither MS (who "branded" the product) nor the hardware
>> manufacturer take any reasponsibility.
>>
>> THAT AIN"T RIGHT!!!
>>

>>> What do your parents/teachers say?
>>
>> Morally and ethically they'd agree. I know right from wrong
>> and it's certainly
>> wrong that it's the paying consumer always taking the
>> chance if it works or not with no recourse. If the dealer
>> won't take it back, MS should least offer
>> a refund as it is their product. And I don't care when it
>> was made, it isn't biological
>> so didn't "go bad".
>>
>> As I said, just drives people to pirate. You don't like
>> that; too bad. I couldn't give
>> a hoot what you do or don't like, just give me back my
>> money.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Shenan Stanley
>>> MS-MVP
>>> --
>>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>

> To the OP:
>
> OK: Provide your full name, street address, city/state/zip and phone,
> along with a valid e-mail address and an alternate e-mail address (no
> disposable accounts, BTW) in a return post. Also include the proof of
> purchase, date/time of sale and invoice number. In return you'll receive
> an RMA number within three weeks and within 6 weeks after that, you'll
> receive notice whether you'll receive another like product or a check for
> the amount you paid, less S&H of course.
> We'll also need you to return the complete product, properly packaged,
> and all documentaiton what was supplied with the item in question. To
> verify that you at one time actually installed the product, we will also
> need to access your computer remotely for that verification. No personal
> information will be sent to us that we don't already have during that
> access. The only other check to be made of course will be to ascertain
> that your activation code is current and functional.
> 65% Restocking charges will be applied, based on the then current
> selling price of the item when you send us the bad unit, postage paid and
> a full explanation of the problems you experienced.

Cute :) LOL

From: Bob I on

news.microsoft.com wrote:
> "Bob I" <birelan(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Since the software works, and that isn't what your beef is, WHY are you
>>ranting here? Also thanks for telling the world you are a self proclaimed
>>thief!
>

> I bought it for the hardware (included GPS transponder). Certainly didn't
> care if I had S&T as I already have OziExplorer, Garmin Mapsource, MapPoint
> (later ver than the S&T) and MapSend. I'll repeat, the included hardware
> doesn't work hence I should be able to get a refund which I can't as no-one
> takes any responsibility. That's what the rants about!

This pretty much sums it up
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894511

From: news.microsoft.com on

> news.microsoft.com wrote:
>> "Bob I" <birelan(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Since the software works, and that isn't what your beef is, WHY are you
>>>ranting here? Also thanks for telling the world you are a self proclaimed
>>>thief!
>>

>> I bought it for the hardware (included GPS transponder). Certainly didn't
>> care if I had S&T as I already have OziExplorer, Garmin Mapsource,
>> MapPoint (later ver than the S&T) and MapSend. I'll repeat, the included
>> hardware doesn't work hence I should be able to get a refund which I
>> can't as no-one takes any responsibility. That's what the rants about!
>>

> This pretty much sums it up
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894511

Been there, tried all methods on 3 separate pcs. Everything appears ok
software wise and it certainly should get a signal when it's 100' (laptop
first then dragged two separate desktops out on extension cord trying) or so
facing south into 2 acre+ freshly mowed field (BIG lawn :). Damn thing has
come alive occasionally but goes dead after few minutes use is "best"
experience to date. Just wanted the thing to permanently mount on 4x4 with
old laptop running OziExplorer (preferred as it uses very hi-res aerial
photos of local area I have rather than canned commercial maps) when back in
woods rather than having to use new Garmin handheld (which works with all
systems over all software).

I'm far from rich, old geezer limited pension. Money I spent wasn't trivial
to me and I feel like I've been robbed, e.g. someone just reached in took
from me and left nothing of value.