From: Mike Warren on
Mike Warren wrote:

>The closest I've found so far is FotoPlayer http://www.fotoplayer.com/
>and have set up a test gallery to play with it:
>
>http://mike-warren.net/test

I just noticed that the link doesn't take you directly to the gallery.

Click on "Photography" at the top of the page, which will take you
here: http://mike-warren.net/test/album.html

--
- Mike
From: Mike Warren on
tony cooper wrote:

>To narrow down your requirements, have you considered replacing your
>current wife with one that is more computer savvy?

LOL! I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion. :-)

--
- Mike
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-08-08 20:19:37 -0700, "Mike Warren"
<miwa-not-this-bit(a)or-this-csas.net.au> said:

> Savageduck wrote:
>
>> Here is an HTML gallery built with Lightroom. It could also be done
>> with Bridge.
>>
>> Since this was not for serious publication, I kept it simple. It could
>> be easily polished with links and other text added and it can be
>> imbedded into a web site if needed.
>> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/WFT_201005w/index.html >
>
> Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, that does not appear to meet any
> of my requirements. :-)

Unfortunately my computing at home is Mac-centric, so the two pieces of
SW I have for web site (gallery development are Apple's iWeb and
Rapidweaver from Realmacsoftware. Both of these have great options for
web gallery construction within a site.
I am afraid I am not familiar with similar Windows SW.
Anyway good luck with your search.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Russell D. on
On 08/08/2010 08:43 PM, Mike Warren wrote:
> I have been on the lookout for some software web gallery software for
> several years, but everything I find has things I don't like.
>
> These are the main things I'm after:
>
> 1/ Usable on my own web site.
>
> 2/ Must not be tied to some other site or company remaining in existence.
>
> 3/ Low cost.
>
> 4/ A UI that allows easy uploading of photos and organization without
> needing any particular computer skills. This is so my wife can control
> her own gallery without needing to ask for help from me.
>
> 5/ Pictures automatically resize to fit in the browser window. This one is
> non-negotiable.
>
> 6/ Fast.
>
> 7/ High compatibility with different browsers etc.
>
> 8/ Configurable themes and colours.
>
> 9/ Photo descriptions must allow for clickable links.
>
> The closest I've found so far is FotoPlayer http://www.fotoplayer.com/
> and have set up a test gallery to play with it:
>
> http://mike-warren.net/test
>
> It doesn't meet condition 2 above as it appears to rely on JAlbum. It's
> also slow, like all Flash based galleries, but it seems to me that Flash
> is active on more systems than JavaScript now days, and people mostly have
> fast enough connections that this is not as important as it once was.
>
> I have seen some commercial photographer sites that look very nice for
> me, but I suspect that they were custom made as there are no links to
> the software used.
>
> Photography is only a hobby for my wife and I, and I do not want to spend
> a lot of time creating and configuring our web galleries.
>
> So much so that I haven't updated our main galleries since 2005. :-)

Here's a big FWIW and maybe you don't care, but I usually don't spend
much time on Flash sites. My hope is that HTML 5 will mean the demise of
Flash.

YMMV,

Russell
From: Mike Warren on
Russell D. wrote:

>Here's a big FWIW and maybe you don't care, but I usually don't spend
>much time on Flash sites. My hope is that HTML 5 will mean the demise of
>Flash.
>
>YMMV,

I agree to a large extent, but find it less of a problem in recent years
with fast broadband. Unless I have a particular need to see a site, it
has about 7 seconds to show itself or I've moved on. :-)

--
- Mike