From: M-M on
In article <xn0gxpso69d58z009(a)news.aioe.org>,
"Mike Warren" <miwa-not-this-bit(a)or-this-csas.net.au> wrote:

> >Photoshop Elements does a pretty good job.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> Unless I'm missing something, it's pretty limited and doesn't support
> auto resizing.

I think "auto-resizing" is a function of the browser. Safari does it
with any photo that is larger than the window.

PE has a ton of other choices for layout.

--
m-m
http://www.mhmyers.com
From: Chris Malcolm on
Russell D. <rmd(a)sfcn.org> wrote:
> On 08/08/2010 08:43 PM, Mike Warren wrote:
>> I have been on the lookout for some software web gallery software for
>> several years, but everything I find has things I don't like.
>>
>> These are the main things I'm after:
>>
>> 1/ Usable on my own web site.
>>
>> 2/ Must not be tied to some other site or company remaining in existence.
>>
>> 3/ Low cost.
>>
>> 4/ A UI that allows easy uploading of photos and organization without
>> needing any particular computer skills. This is so my wife can control
>> her own gallery without needing to ask for help from me.
>>
>> 5/ Pictures automatically resize to fit in the browser window. This one is
>> non-negotiable.
>>
>> 6/ Fast.
>>
>> 7/ High compatibility with different browsers etc.
>>
>> 8/ Configurable themes and colours.
>>
>> 9/ Photo descriptions must allow for clickable links.
>>
>> The closest I've found so far is FotoPlayer http://www.fotoplayer.com/
>> and have set up a test gallery to play with it:
>>
>> http://mike-warren.net/test
>>
>> It doesn't meet condition 2 above as it appears to rely on JAlbum. It's
>> also slow, like all Flash based galleries, but it seems to me that Flash
>> is active on more systems than JavaScript now days, and people mostly have
>> fast enough connections that this is not as important as it once was.
>>
>> I have seen some commercial photographer sites that look very nice for
>> me, but I suspect that they were custom made as there are no links to
>> the software used.
>>
>> Photography is only a hobby for my wife and I, and I do not want to spend
>> a lot of time creating and configuring our web galleries.
>>
>> So much so that I haven't updated our main galleries since 2005. :-)
>>

> Here's a big FWIW and maybe you don't care, but I usually don't spend
> much time on Flash sites. My hope is that HTML 5 will mean the demise of
> Flash.

I know several people who will ignore any site using Flash as a matter
of principle, unless they have a very compelling reason to have to use
it.

--
Chris Malcolm
Warning: none of the above is indisputable fact.