From: N on

"Mike Warren" <miwa-not-this-bit(a)or-this-csas.net.au> wrote in message
> I have been on the lookout for some software web gallery software for
> several years, but everything I find has things I don't like.
>
> These are the main things I'm after:
>
> 1/ Usable on my own web site.
>
> 2/ Must not be tied to some other site or company remaining in existence.
>
> 3/ Low cost.
>
> 4/ A UI that allows easy uploading of photos and organization without
> needing any particular computer skills. This is so my wife can control
> her own gallery without needing to ask for help from me.
>
> 5/ Pictures automatically resize to fit in the browser window. This one is
> non-negotiable.
>
> 6/ Fast.
>
> 7/ High compatibility with different browsers etc.
>
> 8/ Configurable themes and colours.
>
> 9/ Photo descriptions must allow for clickable links.
>
> The closest I've found so far is FotoPlayer http://www.fotoplayer.com/
> and have set up a test gallery to play with it:
>
> http://mike-warren.net/test
>
> It doesn't meet condition 2 above as it appears to rely on JAlbum. It's
> also slow, like all Flash based galleries, but it seems to me that Flash
> is active on more systems than JavaScript now days, and people mostly have
> fast enough connections that this is not as important as it once was.
>
> I have seen some commercial photographer sites that look very nice for
> me, but I suspect that they were custom made as there are no links to
> the software used.
>
> Photography is only a hobby for my wife and I, and I do not want to spend
> a lot of time creating and configuring our web galleries.
>
> So much so that I haven't updated our main galleries since 2005. :-)
>
> --
> - Mike

Do you intend to host the site yourself or have it hosted on a commercial
server?

From: Mike Warren on
N wrote:

>Do you intend to host the site yourself or have it hosted on a commercial
>server?

It's a hosted server with ixwebhosting.com.

--
- Mike
From: Robert Spanjaard on
On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 02:43:54 +0000, Mike Warren wrote:

> I have been on the lookout for some software web gallery software for
> several years, but everything I find has things I don't like.
>
> These are the main things I'm after:
>
> 1/ Usable on my own web site.
>
> 2/ Must not be tied to some other site or company remaining in
> existence.
>
> 3/ Low cost.
>
> 4/ A UI that allows easy uploading of photos and organization without
> needing any particular computer skills. This is so my wife can
> control her own gallery without needing to ask for help from me.
>
> 5/ Pictures automatically resize to fit in the browser window. This one
> is non-negotiable.
>
> 6/ Fast.
>
> 7/ High compatibility with different browsers etc.
>
> 8/ Configurable themes and colours.
>
> 9/ Photo descriptions must allow for clickable links.

Gallery2 seems to meet all your requirements. Dynamic resizing is not
available on all themes, though. But if you're not as (un)skilled as your
wife, there's nothing that stops you from copying the required code to
your favorite theme.

http://codex.gallery2.org/Gallery2:Download

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
From: Robert Spanjaard on
On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 13:07:42 +0200, Robert Spanjaard wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 02:43:54 +0000, Mike Warren wrote:
>
>> I have been on the lookout for some software web gallery software for
>> several years, but everything I find has things I don't like.
>>
>> These are the main things I'm after:
>>
>> 1/ Usable on my own web site.
>>
>> 2/ Must not be tied to some other site or company remaining in
>> existence.
>>
>> 3/ Low cost.
>>
>> 4/ A UI that allows easy uploading of photos and organization without
>> needing any particular computer skills. This is so my wife can
>> control her own gallery without needing to ask for help from me.
>>
>> 5/ Pictures automatically resize to fit in the browser window. This one
>> is non-negotiable.
>>
>> 6/ Fast.
>>
>> 7/ High compatibility with different browsers etc.
>>
>> 8/ Configurable themes and colours.
>>
>> 9/ Photo descriptions must allow for clickable links.
>
> Gallery2 seems to meet all your requirements. Dynamic resizing is not
> available on all themes, though. But if you're not as (un)skilled as
> your wife, there's nothing that stops you from copying the required code
> to your favorite theme.
>
> http://codex.gallery2.org/Gallery2:Download

And you might want to check your hoster's options before installing it
yourself. I see that ixwebhosting.com does support "Photo Galleries", but
it doesn't list which ones. My hoster (<http://www.flexwebhosting.com>,
the site is in Dutch only) has Gallery2 pre-installed, so all I needed to
do was tick a checkbox to put it on my site.

http://www.flexwebhosting.nl/index.php/cst/?id=13

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
From: Mike Warren on
Robert Spanjaard wrote:

>>Gallery2 seems to meet all your requirements. Dynamic resizing is not
>>available on all themes, though. But if you're not as (un)skilled as
>>your wife, there's nothing that stops you from copying the required code
>>to your favorite theme.
>>
>>http://codex.gallery2.org/Gallery2:Download
>
>And you might want to check your hoster's options before installing it
>yourself. I see that ixwebhosting.com does support "Photo Galleries", but
>it doesn't list which ones. My hoster (<http://www.flexwebhosting.com>,
>the site is in Dutch only) has Gallery2 pre-installed, so all I needed to
>do was tick a checkbox to put it on my site.
>
>http://www.flexwebhosting.nl/index.php/cst/?id=13

I've had both Gallery and Gallery2 working on my site. I must have missed
the auto sizing themes on G2. I don't remember if there was anything else
I didn't like about G2, so I'll revisit it.

Thanks.

--
- Mike