From: Charles Hottel on

"Pete Dashwood" <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote in message

> "Charles Hottel" <chottel(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Pete Dashwood" <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote in message
>>> I've had a couple of private mails after responding publicly here to a
>>> request for help with accessing Web Services from COBOL.
> <snipped unreferenced previous>
>

>> Thanks for these postings on web services, Pete.
>>

> I'm really happy to help. I think it is important that we all share
> solutions, rather than do it through private mail. (Besides, it is quicker
> for me to post here than respond individually.)
>
>> You make me want to jump into C# but one of my problems with the pc world
>> of software has been maintaining my focus. So for now I am still
>> pursuring Java.
>
> Java is a very useful OO language. You won't regret learning it. I prefer
> C# because it embodies the good parts of Java, but is more
> straightforward. (It has also been influenced by C++, and, again, takes
> the better parts of that language...). Most importantly though, C# is
> dedicated to DotNET and is the most facile solution for unlocking the
> power of the DotNET FCL (Framework Class Library), which has around 80,000
> classes in it... :-)

I have a feeling that I may never use Java at work, but then I am not good
at predicting the future. I am still interested in a language for my
retirement day's hobby programming and it could be Java but I think I should
also conside C#. I have an interest in AI and have a shelf full of books I
was saving for retirement, but after reading Kurzweil I have decide not to
wait. I will probably learn Scheme and/or Lisp at some point.

I know it will probably not be C++ although I have a shelf of book on that
as well.

I have learned far more about OO from learning Java than from C++ or OO
COBOL books. It is no silver bullet but I can see how it improves some
things.

From: Pete Dashwood on

"Charles Hottel" <chottel(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

<snip>

> I have learned far more about OO from learning Java than from C++ or OO
> COBOL books. It is no silver bullet but I can see how it improves some
> things.

Yes, I had exactly the same experience. OO is such an innate part of Java
that it just seems completely natural.

For me, OO opens the way to component based design and programming. The code
posted in this thread is a concrete example of what I have been talking
about; the web service is simply a component exposed to the Internet. You
can plug it into your applications and not need to maintain it or worry
about it. (Conceptually it is just like an extension of the OS; you use it
every day and expect it to work as specified. It does what it does.)

Components may be the keys to the kingdom, unlocking Lamba functions and
functional programming and helping to move us toward Kurzweil's Singularity.

If you have a COBOL compiler on your home system, that supports OO, I would
urge you to try the code. (We will have a MicroFocus version any time now,
as well as the original Fujitsu NetCOBOL version which will work with ANY
version of Fujitsu COBOL, right back to version 3.)

Why not attempt a Java Class to access it? (Kinda cool to have COBOL being
invoked by Java across thousands of miles :-))

Researching how to access web services from Java is probably very useful for
both your Java and your web services learning.

If you get stuck, I can help.

I would LOVE to see an AcuCOBOL or Websphere version. It really is fun to
access web services, and very useful...

Pete.

From: Rene_Surop on

> As we are accessing a COM server (The SOAP Component) you need the above MF
> directive...it ensures parameters are passed correctly to the MF Run Time.

Hi Pete,

Been using the DCOM/COM for several years now... hmm, way back 2002
and I've tried it to be very effective using Microfocus N/E v3.1. You
could see how this N/E Cobol COM works associated with ASP here in my
sample site;

http://infowaters.infodynamicsconsult.com

At first access, the server will activate the COM (.dll file created
in N/E)... once activated, it is now ready for user request. Try
entering "starting customer name" in the box and select the desired
customer name.

1st method: the .dll file is used for searching 10 records (per
display)
2nd method: if customer name is selected, the .dll file will again
retrieve the customer info
3rd method: after displaying customer info, it will display billing
history records

I used it 3years ago... well, that's is why Microfocus says "Cobol
Rocks" then.

Now you're saying Web Services rocks :-)

From: Pete Dashwood on

"Rene_Surop" <infodynamics_ph(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> As we are accessing a COM server (The SOAP Component) you need the above
>> MF
>> directive...it ensures parameters are passed correctly to the MF Run
>> Time.
>>

> Hi Pete,
>
> Been using the DCOM/COM for several years now... hmm, way back 2002
> and I've tried it to be very effective using Microfocus N/E v3.1. You
> could see how this N/E Cobol COM works associated with ASP here in my
> sample site;

http://infowaters.infodynamicsconsult.com

> At first access, the server will activate the COM (.dll file created
> in N/E)... once activated, it is now ready for user request. Try
> entering "starting customer name" in the box and select the desired
> customer name.
>
> 1st method: the .dll file is used for searching 10 records (per
> display)
> 2nd method: if customer name is selected, the .dll file will again
> retrieve the customer info
> 3rd method: after displaying customer info, it will display billing
> history records
>
> I used it 3years ago... well, that's is why Microfocus says "Cobol
> Rocks" then.
>
> Now you're saying Web Services rocks :-)

I've been using COM/DCOM+ MTS etc for over 10 years now. And I've built web
sites using ASP to activate COM components written in COBOL, and from COBOL
CGI/ISAPI code. It is an excellent component based technology. Web Services
take it a step further...

Pete.

From: Rene_Surop on

> I've been using COM/DCOM+ MTS etc for over 10 years now. And I've built web
> sites using ASP to activate COM components written in COBOL, and from COBOL
> CGI/ISAPI code. It is an excellent component based technology. Web Services
> take it a step further...

Didn't know there were COM ten (10) years back? NetExpress V3.1 came
along year 2000 (that was Merant then), although COM came prior to
that using the Object Cobol.

Well... coming from a 3rd world country :-)

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Microfocus Cobol "SLEEP" routine
Next: Help with Tcal