From: Rene_Surop on

> It looks almost like Access Forms. Is that what you used?

It is just an .ASP page, no fancy CSS/HTML codes for displaying and
formatting the page. Code it using HTML-Kit freeware.

For the customer name viewing which look like a listbox, I used
Javascript (AJAX) for that.

And the back-end is N/E v3.1 Cobol COM (.dll) for retrieving, updating
(and printing in actual production) which is accessed by a VBscript
code.

Working for now with Web Services... but needed more study on it yet.

From: Rene_Surop on

From: Charles Hottel on

"Pete Dashwood" <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote in message

> "Charles Hottel" <chottel(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
> <snip>
>>
>> I have learned far more about OO from learning Java than from C++ or OO
>> COBOL books. It is no silver bullet but I can see how it improves some
>> things.
>
> Yes, I had exactly the same experience. OO is such an innate part of Java
> that it just seems completely natural.
>
> For me, OO opens the way to component based design and programming. The
> code posted in this thread is a concrete example of what I have been
> talking about; the web service is simply a component exposed to the
> Internet. You can plug it into your applications and not need to maintain
> it or worry about it. (Conceptually it is just like an extension of the
> OS; you use it every day and expect it to work as specified. It does what
> it does.)
>
> Components may be the keys to the kingdom, unlocking Lamba functions and
> functional programming and helping to move us toward Kurzweil's
> Singularity.
>
> If you have a COBOL compiler on your home system, that supports OO, I
> would urge you to try the code. (We will have a MicroFocus version any
> time now, as well as the original Fujitsu NetCOBOL version which will work
> with ANY version of Fujitsu COBOL, right back to version 3.)
>
> Why not attempt a Java Class to access it? (Kinda cool to have COBOL being
> invoked by Java across thousands of miles :-))
>
> Researching how to access web services from Java is probably very useful
> for both your Java and your web services learning.
>
> If you get stuck, I can help.
>
> I would LOVE to see an AcuCOBOL or Websphere version. It really is fun to
> access web services, and very useful...
>
> Pete.

I do not have any COBOL compiler on my PC. Well I have CDs with some very
old ones or university editions but I have not installed them.

I know Java has something called Java Webstart but it may not be the same as
invoking a web service. I think it is more like having your app on one
server and everybody runs it from there and you only update it there. Well I
do not know the details. Perhaps if Oliver reads this he can tell us. If I
can find the time I will try to figure out how to do this in Java to see
what I can learn.

From: Charles Hottel on

"James J. Gavan" <jgavandeletethis(a)shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Pete Dashwood wrote:
>> "Charles Hottel" <chottel(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>>I have learned far more about OO from learning Java than from C++ or OO
>>>COBOL books. It is no silver bullet but I can see how it improves some
>>>things.
>
> Charles, I recall Thane writing the same thing, sometime back, about
> learning OO from Java. Exactly which OO COBOL books are you referring to
> ?
>>
>> <snip>>

Well the best one was "Object Orientation for COBOL Programming" by Ray
Obin. It was good as far as it went but was pretty much an introduction.

The worst was "Object Oriented Development in COBOL" by Topper.

Somewhere in between was "Elements of Object Oriented COBOL" by Wilson
Price. I remember finding a lot of erros such as code not matching examples
etc. At one time I had a list of the errors but it has become irretrievably
lost.

I was always hampered by not having a compiler to experiment with.

From: Richard on
On May 23, 10:02 pm, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

> It was Online Linking and Embedding (OLE). This then evolved into the Common
> Object Model.
>
> Fujitsu has supported it since version 3 which I acquired in 1997. It was
> one of the first OO COBOL compilers. Fujitsu offered it free to people who
> were using MicroFocus COBOL.

Version 3 did not have OO or OLE. As this version is still (? adtools
has gone) available it may mislead students into think that it does.

Version 4 introduced OO and OLE in 1998. I have both sets of paper
manuals.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Microfocus Cobol "SLEEP" routine