From: Franc Zabkar on
On 18 Aug 2008 15:13:16 GMT, Arno Wagner <me(a)privacy.net> put finger
to keyboard and composed:

>If U12 is the ROM, then it holds the identity. While swapping
>SMD chips is possible, it requires a lot of experience and SMD
>soldering tools.
>
>Arno

When I was younger and had much better eyesight, I used to do an
excellent job with just a fine tipped soldering iron. The OP in that
forum managed to get by with the same.

- Franc Zabkar
From: Arno Wagner on
Previously Franc Zabkar <fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:
> On 18 Aug 2008 15:13:16 GMT, Arno Wagner <me(a)privacy.net> put finger
> to keyboard and composed:

>>If U12 is the ROM, then it holds the identity. While swapping
>>SMD chips is possible, it requires a lot of experience and SMD
>>soldering tools.
>>
>>Arno

> When I was younger and had much better eyesight, I used to do an
> excellent job with just a fine tipped soldering iron. The OP in that
> forum managed to get by with the same.

Soldering in, yes. But it is neraly impossible to de-solder these.
With a lot of patience, even that could be feasible with good
standard soldering iron. However the risk of breaking off pins
is pretty high, as you will have to de-solder them individually.

Arno
From: Squeeze on
Arno Wagner wrote in news:6h035sFi300dU1(a)mid.individual.net
> Previously Franc Zabkar <fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:
> > On 18 Aug 2008 15:13:16 GMT, Arno Wagner <me(a)privacy.net> put finger
> > to keyboard and composed:
>
> > > If U12 is the ROM, then it holds the identity. While swapping
> > > SMD chips is possible, it requires a lot of experience and SMD
> > > soldering tools.
> > >
> > > Arno
>
> > When I was younger and had much better eyesight, I used to do an
> > excellent job with just a fine tipped soldering iron. The OP in that
> > forum managed to get by with the same.
>
> Soldering in, yes. But it is neraly impossible to de-solder these.
> With a lot of patience, even that could be feasible with good
> standard soldering iron.

> However the risk of breaking off pins is pretty high,

> as you will have to de-solder them individually.

Utter bull, as expected from the Babblebot.

From: Mike Tomlinson on
In article <6h035sFi300dU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Arno Wagner
<me(a)privacy.net> writes

>Soldering in, yes. But it is neraly impossible to de-solder these.
>With a lot of patience, even that could be feasible with good
>standard soldering iron. However the risk of breaking off pins
>is pretty high, as you will have to de-solder them individually.

Blowtorch or hot air gun on other side of board. Turn board over, part
falls off cleanly.

From: Arno Wagner on
Previously Mike Tomlinson <nospam(a)jasper.org.uk.invalid> wrote:
> In article <6h035sFi300dU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Arno Wagner
> <me(a)privacy.net> writes

>>Soldering in, yes. But it is neraly impossible to de-solder these.
>>With a lot of patience, even that could be feasible with good
>>standard soldering iron. However the risk of breaking off pins
>>is pretty high, as you will have to de-solder them individually.

> Blowtorch or hot air gun on other side of board. Turn board over, part
> falls off cleanly.

Risky with the typical thermal contraints. May work though.

Arno