From: Mike Tomlinson on
In article <6h2g7fFi7ebeU2(a)mid.individual.net>, Arno Wagner
<me(a)privacy.net> writes

>Risky with the typical thermal contraints. May work though.

There's no "may". It's a common technique.

From: Franc Zabkar on
On 20 Aug 2008 12:15:43 GMT, Arno Wagner <me(a)privacy.net> put finger
to keyboard and composed:

>Previously Mike Tomlinson <nospam(a)jasper.org.uk.invalid> wrote:
>> In article <6h035sFi300dU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Arno Wagner
>> <me(a)privacy.net> writes
>
>>>Soldering in, yes. But it is neraly impossible to de-solder these.
>>>With a lot of patience, even that could be feasible with good
>>>standard soldering iron. However the risk of breaking off pins
>>>is pretty high, as you will have to de-solder them individually.
>
>> Blowtorch or hot air gun on other side of board. Turn board over, part
>> falls off cleanly.
>
>Risky with the typical thermal contraints. May work though.
>
>Arno

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Practical_Electronics/Desoldering#ICs_with_two_rows_of_pins

- Franc Zabkar
From: Arno Wagner on
Previously Mike Tomlinson <nospam(a)jasper.org.uk.invalid> wrote:
> In article <6h2g7fFi7ebeU2(a)mid.individual.net>, Arno Wagner
> <me(a)privacy.net> writes

>>Risky with the typical thermal contraints. May work though.

> There's no "may". It's a common technique.

Oh, the chip will fall off. But with constrainst like
"max 280C for 10 secs", no telling what thermal damage it
will sustain in the hands of somebody that does not have
a lot of experience with this and can do it fast.

Arno
From: Squeeze on
Arno Wagner wrote in news:6h2g7fFi7ebeU2(a)mid.individual.net
> Previously Mike Tomlinson <nospam(a)jasper.org.uk.invalid> wrote:
> > In article <6h035sFi300dU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Arno Wagner
> > <me(a)privacy.net> writes
>
> > > Soldering in, yes. But it is neraly impossible to de-solder these.
> > > With a lot of patience, even that could be feasible with good
> > > standard soldering iron. However the risk of breaking off pins
> > > is pretty high, as you will have to de-solder them individually.

> > Blowtorch or hot air gun on other side of board.

> > Turn board over,

> part falls off cleanly.

Yeah right.
Parts are glued on to the board when it's populated with parts,
before soldering, so they don't flow away when bath soldered.

> Risky with the typical thermal contraints.

It only falls off when the glue and tin have evaporated.
Guess what else has.

> May work though.

Guess again, Babblemouth.

From: Squeeze on
Franc Zabkar wrote in news:bjvoa4t1lm6bpeolp8gvlqcfd6mdumku2c(a)4ax.com
> On 20 Aug 2008 12:15:43 GMT, Arno Wagner <me(a)privacy.net> put finger to keyboard and composed:
> > Previously Mike Tomlinson <nospam(a)jasper.org.uk.invalid> wrote:
> > > In article 6h035sFi300dU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Arno Wagner <me(a)privacy.net> writes

> > > Blowtorch or hot air gun on other side of board. Turn board over, part
> > > falls off cleanly.
> >
> > Risky with the typical thermal contraints. May work though.
> >
> > Arno

> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Practical_Electronics/Desoldering#ICs_with_two_rows_of_pins

That's what I do, with a twist.

I do it one row at a time, prying the legs up by sliding a miniature
screw driver under the chip between body and legs and jack it up.
Then I do the other side that then just slides off.
That's the quickest and least stressful way, temperature wise.