From: MM on
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:58:29 -0600, "Ralph"
<nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>While "Rust Proofing" virtually disappeared as a dealer option there are
>many after-market companies still available in the US and Canada, but you
>will likely have to travel to find them. It is far more expensive - about
>$300-$500 per vehicle - due to the reasons cited above.

Amazing. I believe we did it for free as a courtesy to new customers.
Mind you, this was back in 1961 - 63. I think I used about a drum of
underseal on a standard British car (we sold mainly Morris Minors and
later the original Mini).

MM
From: Ralph on
Tom Shelton wrote:
> On 2010-01-29, mayayana <mayaXXyana(a)rcXXn.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm with you on Word '97. I don't use Office
>> programs a lot and O.O. is plenty for me.
>
> O.O isn't bad for personal use - but, it sort of sucks for any but
> the most basic business use. While it can be scripted and automated,
> it's
> facilities are somewhat limited in comparaison to office.
>
>> I also
>> don't want to add the extra security problems that
>> MS Office brings. But if I did need Word I'd try to
>> get '97.
>
> 2003 at least for me. The ability generate documents as xml, and not
> worry about the binary formats is worth it. I believe office 2k and
> xp might have some support for it - but 2003 is when it really became
> practicle. In fact, I do some of that for work. It's really nice
> to be able to be able to generate documents without 3rd party
> components or automation on the server side...
>
>> Last I saw it was $35 online. The only
>> catch is that one has to explain to all of the Office
>> 2007 users that no one can open their files unless
>> they save them as .doc instead of .docx. That's another
>> kind of planned obsolescence. Older versions of the
>> very same program can't open the default file type!
>
> MS provides an add-in for reading docx for at least office 2003 (and I
> think XP). But, besides that, expecting an older program to read
> files generated from a newer version of that program seems a little
> silly to me.
>
> Personally, I use 2003. I might upgrade to 2010 - or I might not :)
> Office2k7 isn't bad - I just haven't really had a need to upgrade.

I jumped from Office 2000 to Office 2007 just recently. It is still a
love/hate relationship - I like many of the new features, but get damn
annoyed as they seem to have 'moved stuff' just to aggravate me. (Some
habits are tough to change.)

As a consultant I often get drawn into discussions concerning products, and
OpenOffice has finally grown to where can be seriously considered an
alternative tool. I don't care for most open source products as business
solutions, and thus deliver my standard elegant spiel concerning the
glorious productivity advantages of Office.

After which, quite satisfied and still basking in the warmth of my own
eloquence, I wander out into the trenches - only to discover a mass of
documents formatted with tabs and spaces. Pounds of printed material to be
manually highlighted and re-entered into other docs and emails, to be
subsquently cut 'n pasted or re-typed into something else ... so on, and
so on. One can usually find a few people who actually use the products as
intended, but over-all most shops could used WordPad and never notice.

OpenOffice is a better WordPad. <g>

-ralph

From: David Kerber on
In article <u39H9oPoKHA.3948(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>,
tom_shelton(a)comcastXXXXXXX.net says...

> On 2010-01-29, mayayana <mayaXXyana(a)rcXXn.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Underseal. One of my first jobs....
> >
> > I got that on a Toyota pickup in 1986 and
> > drove it 239,000 miles with no rust problems --
> > in New England. In 2004 I needed a new truck.
> > (Not because of rust. A teenager plowed into it
> > while parked on a quiet street.) But I couldn't
> > find anyone doing undercoating anymore. They
> > used to push it with each vehicle sale, but
> > apparently cars were just lasting too long. ...So
> > that might be an example of planned obsolescence.
> >
> > I'm with you on Word '97. I don't use Office
> > programs a lot and O.O. is plenty for me.
>
> O.O isn't bad for personal use - but, it sort of sucks for any but the most
> basic business use. While it can be scripted and automated, it's
> facilities are somewhat limited in comparaison to office.

Have you tried the "extended" version of OO, called "Oxygen Office"? It
has a lot more capability than the standard OO versions do, including
support for the xml versions of MS Office docs (.docx, .xlsx, etc).

From: mayayana on

> > they save them as .doc instead of .docx. That's another
> > kind of planned obsolescence. Older versions of the
> > very same program can't open the default file type!
>
> MS provides an add-in for reading docx for at least office 2003 (and I
> think XP). But, besides that, expecting an older program to read files
> generated from a newer version of that program seems a little silly to me.

With customers like you, who needs marketing?
I certainly expect a newer program to create files
compatible with the older, when the file is specific
to that program!

As do most Word users. What I see personally is
friends who have been intimidated into using and
upgrading Office -- because everyone they know uses
and upgrades Office. They have to type letters for work
and Word allows them to format the letter as though
it were done with stationery on a typewriter. For most
people Word is just Notepad with swagger.

I've already had several friends ask me about problems
they've had getting Word docs from Word 2007 users.
Neither person has any idea why the file can't be read by
the recipient. They both use Word, after all! These are not
people who download plug-ins. And even if they were, I
just can't bring myself to seriously recommend that the
recipient get a Word plug-in.....so that they can read
Word files. :)
And of course, that doesn't help the sender, who's
going to run into the same problem with the next recipient.
So it seems to make much more sense to explain to the
sender how they can save their files in such a way that at
least *many* people can read them -- and not only the
people who've recently bought a new PC with MS Office on it.

From: Tom Shelton on
On 2010-01-29, Ralph <nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Tom Shelton wrote:
>> On 2010-01-29, mayayana <mayaXXyana(a)rcXXn.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm with you on Word '97. I don't use Office
>>> programs a lot and O.O. is plenty for me.
>>
>> O.O isn't bad for personal use - but, it sort of sucks for any but
>> the most basic business use. While it can be scripted and automated,
>> it's
>> facilities are somewhat limited in comparaison to office.
>>
>>> I also
>>> don't want to add the extra security problems that
>>> MS Office brings. But if I did need Word I'd try to
>>> get '97.
>>
>> 2003 at least for me. The ability generate documents as xml, and not
>> worry about the binary formats is worth it. I believe office 2k and
>> xp might have some support for it - but 2003 is when it really became
>> practicle. In fact, I do some of that for work. It's really nice
>> to be able to be able to generate documents without 3rd party
>> components or automation on the server side...
>>
>>> Last I saw it was $35 online. The only
>>> catch is that one has to explain to all of the Office
>>> 2007 users that no one can open their files unless
>>> they save them as .doc instead of .docx. That's another
>>> kind of planned obsolescence. Older versions of the
>>> very same program can't open the default file type!
>>
>> MS provides an add-in for reading docx for at least office 2003 (and I
>> think XP). But, besides that, expecting an older program to read
>> files generated from a newer version of that program seems a little
>> silly to me.
>>
>> Personally, I use 2003. I might upgrade to 2010 - or I might not :)
>> Office2k7 isn't bad - I just haven't really had a need to upgrade.
>
> I jumped from Office 2000 to Office 2007 just recently. It is still a
> love/hate relationship - I like many of the new features, but get damn
> annoyed as they seem to have 'moved stuff' just to aggravate me. (Some
> habits are tough to change.)
>
> As a consultant I often get drawn into discussions concerning products, and
> OpenOffice has finally grown to where can be seriously considered an
> alternative tool. I don't care for most open source products as business
> solutions, and thus deliver my standard elegant spiel concerning the
> glorious productivity advantages of Office.
>
> After which, quite satisfied and still basking in the warmth of my own
> eloquence, I wander out into the trenches - only to discover a mass of
> documents formatted with tabs and spaces. Pounds of printed material to be
> manually highlighted and re-entered into other docs and emails, to be
> subsquently cut 'n pasted or re-typed into something else ... so on, and
> so on. One can usually find a few people who actually use the products as
> intended, but over-all most shops could used WordPad and never notice.
>
> OpenOffice is a better WordPad. <g>

I agree. Like I said, OO is fine for basic stuff. I use it regularly on my
Linux systems.

--
Tom Shelton
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last