From: Tom Shelton on
On 2010-01-29, mayayana <mayaXXyana(a)rcXXn.com> wrote:

>> > they save them as .doc instead of .docx. That's another
>> > kind of planned obsolescence. Older versions of the
>> > very same program can't open the default file type!
>>
>> MS provides an add-in for reading docx for at least office 2003 (and I
>> think XP). But, besides that, expecting an older program to read files
>> generated from a newer version of that program seems a little silly to me.
>>

> With customers like you, who needs marketing?
> I certainly expect a newer program to create files
> compatible with the older, when the file is specific
> to that program!

Except that almost no program in the history of computing has done so. New
features get added, and those are reflected in the file formats. The best you
get is the older programs will some time strip stuff they don't recognize...

That's why in most things they give you an option to save in a previous
version. Again, that expectation of yours a bit silly, IMHO.

> As do most Word users. What I see personally is
> friends who have been intimidated into using and
> upgrading Office -- because everyone they know uses
> and upgrades Office. They have to type letters for work
> and Word allows them to format the letter as though
> it were done with stationery on a typewriter. For most
> people Word is just Notepad with swagger.

I agree - which is why I said OOo is fine for that use. I use it myself - not
as much on windows, but on my linux systems.

> I've already had several friends ask me about problems
> they've had getting Word docs from Word 2007 users.

They need the plugin - which word kindly offers to install for you. Unless
they are like you and stuck in the last century. I get 2007 docs all the
time, as part of the company I work for has gone to 2007, part like me is on
2003. Never have issues now.

> Neither person has any idea why the file can't be read by
> the recipient. They both use Word, after all! These are not
> people who download plug-ins.

It's not as if they have to go looking - office automatically offers to
download and install it. Assuming of course they are keeping up with their
updates.

> And even if they were, I
> just can't bring myself to seriously recommend that the
> recipient get a Word plug-in.....so that they can read
> Word files. :)

There is no relationship between the docx and doc format. docx is a zip file
with xml content. doc is a binary compound storage type file. The change is,
IMHO, for the better - since you can generate these suckers pretty easily
without having office at all. It makes for much better interoperability.

Now, since docx didn't exist before 2007, why would you expect 2003 to read
docx files without an addition?

> And of course, that doesn't help the sender, who's
> going to run into the same problem with the next recipient.

Like I said, unless your on some ancient version of office - office will tell
you the problem and offer to install the plugin for you. A couple of prompts,
and problem solved.

You are completely exagerating the seriousness of the issue here. Seriously,
you should move to linux and become an advocate. I think you would fit right
in...

--
Tom Shelton
From: mayayana on
> Unless
> they are like you and stuck in the last century.

:) Indeed. I avoid buying anything I don't need.
It saves me a lot of money, oddly enough. Then
again, I don't work for a company so nobody is
buying me new software every couple of years.

But I understand your point. you're the guy who
thinks a 300 MB .Net runtime is small simply
because disks keep getting bigger. :)

From: Tom Shelton on
On 2010-01-29, mayayana <mayaXXyana(a)rcXXn.com> wrote:
>> Unless
>> they are like you and stuck in the last century.
>
>:) Indeed. I avoid buying anything I don't need.
> It saves me a lot of money, oddly enough. Then
> again, I don't work for a company so nobody is
> buying me new software every couple of years.
>
> But I understand your point. you're the guy who
> thinks a 300 MB .Net runtime is small simply
> because disks keep getting bigger. :)

*Sigh* - remember, your the one that brought .net into this conversation.

I am NOT going republish the numbers - but, interms of drive space, it is
small. All frameworks and combined take up less then 1% of my drive. Not
something I'm going to complain about.

There is some hit in terms of memory - I've never denied that. But, it's not
as if the entire framework is loaded into memory. Only the stuff you use -
and it's dependancies of course :)

But, again - I should remember that you are still running Windows 95 on a
Pentium Pro, 16MB of RAM, and 1.2GB HD.

--
Tom Shelton
From: Cor Ligthert[MVP] on

> Nope. Even that statement is not necessarily true. Cars can be
> repaired. Most *every*thing can be repaired if it was designed right
> in the first place. Notwithstanding rust, which would be caused by bad
> garaging procedures, everything in a car can be repaired or, if
> capitalist "planned obsolescence" has used funny-headed screws,
> replaced as a module. Don't forget I was a fitter once and I know.

Yea,

I don't see this either, Studebaker gives as far as I know still support on
their cars in the USA, like Austin in England, Glas in Germany and Panhard
in France.

Cor

From: MM on
On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 19:58:31 +0100, "Cor Ligthert[MVP]"
<Notmyfirstname(a)planet.nl> wrote:

>> Nope. Even that statement is not necessarily true. Cars can be
>> repaired. Most *every*thing can be repaired if it was designed right
>> in the first place. Notwithstanding rust, which would be caused by bad
>> garaging procedures, everything in a car can be repaired or, if
>> capitalist "planned obsolescence" has used funny-headed screws,
>> replaced as a module. Don't forget I was a fitter once and I know.
>>
>Yea,
>
>I don't see this either, Studebaker gives as far as I know still support on
>their cars in the USA, like Austin in England, Glas in Germany and Panhard
>in France.
>
>Cor

In the UK there are small panel-beating firms producing replacement
panels for the Morris Minor, such is the interest. Not cheap, though.
Mind you, a perfectly restored Minor can fetch �10,000. My late uncle
was a toolmaker and he would have been able to fabricate replacement
king pins and similar parts for most early vehicles, as he knew all
about lathe work and case-hardening.

MM
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10