From: bob on
On 6/18/2010 10:22 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
> <Leon(a)nospam.com>
>
>> Phil Allison
>>

> ** See the first two words in my post - Leon ??
>

>> This type of radio had a battery pack with
>> 11 D cells in it,
>

> ** That is the issue, not the fact that it got wet.
>
> Things like mobile phones, PDAs, laptops etc are in a whole nuther category
> far as recovery after being submerged is concerned.
>
> Cos the VERY FIRST thing you must do is get the unit out of the water
> immediately and get that damn battery pack OUT of it !!!
>

> .... Phil

Well, if your gear is in a flood in Nashville and the police have
prevented you from getting near it, your options are limited to try
to get it out of the water....

we had a local sound company doing an outdoor downtown festival
and had a storm blow through and douche the Cheap Midas.
(tent cover and tarp blew over and off)_
rain water only. they dried it out and used it latter.

Flood water and sewage is a whole another deal.

The real question is would you trust dried out gear
on a high dollar gig with confidence?

bob

From: bob u on
On 6/18/2010 10:22 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
> <Leon(a)nospam.com>
>
>> Phil Allison
>>

> ** That is the issue, not the fact that it got wet.
>
> Things like mobile phones, PDAs, laptops etc are in a whole nuther category
> far as recovery after being submerged is concerned.
>
> Cos the VERY FIRST thing you must do is get the unit out of the water
> immediately and get that damn battery pack OUT of it !!!
>

> .... Phil

Well, if your gear is in a flood in Nashville and the police have
prevented you from getting near it, your options are limited to try
to get it out of the water quickly. And flood water is a toxic
mix of crud.

From: Phil Allison on
<Leon(a)nospam.com>

From: PeterD on
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 20:18:56 -0500, bob <sound(a)inetnebr.com> wrote:

>On 6/18/2010 1:45 PM, PeterD wrote:
>> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 14:21:10 +1000, "Phil Allison"<phil_a(a)tpg.com.au>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> "PeterD"

>>> ** Audio electronics that has been submerged in muddy water ( not salt ) is
>>> mostly fully recoverable - it just needs to be thoroughly washed and made
>>> clean again. The important thing is that it is immediately rinsed out with
>>> clean water then dried in the sun or with hot air.
>>>
>>> One of my customers had almost his entire hire stock submerged in a flood
>>> about 15 years ago - some things he just hosed off, dried out and used
>>> again.
>>>
>>> I got to see a couple of large MOSFET power amps and also some radio mic
>>> receivers and body pack transmitters that were half full of dried mud.
>>>
>>> Using only a garden hose, various small paint brushes, hot water, detergent
>>> and lotsa patience all of them were restored to perfect working order and
>>> condition.
>>>
>>> The only significant damage was to the switches on the body pack
>>> transmitters - there had been a fresh 9V battery inside at the time of the
>>> flood and current flowing through the muddy water had eaten the plating away
>>> on the contacts.
>>>

>>> .... Phil
>>>

>> I've washed electronics equipment many times with clean water (and
>> detergent sometimes). Rarely a failure, but have to watch for any
>> parts that are paper (coils in RF sections of receivers/transmitters
>> for example.)
>>
>Chances are you can revive it, but it will never be worth what it was.
>I have done some submerged electronics before. Dirt gets under chips and
>you will never get it all out short of taking every part off and
>cleaning both sides. You may not need to do this to make it functional,
>but the crud laying around long term is an unknown quantity.
> things can rust in areas you cannot see. Hell, i would buy a Midas
>for a few hundred and have some fun with it.... ;)

Two other areas that we found problematic were potentiometers and
non-sealed (mechanical) meters. Dirt didn't seem to wash out of the
controls well (though spraying with cleaner helped) adn mechanical
meters were almost always trashed. (Fortunately mechanical meters are
rare today.)
From: Leon on
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 13:22:15 +1000, "Phil Allison" <phil_a(a)tpg.com.au> wrote:

>> Yes, it all depends on the quality of the water. I was brought a 2-way
>> "lunchbox" radio once and it was totally shot.
>
> ** See the first two words in my post - Leon ??

Yes I did Phil. Are you aware that 2-way radios employ audio circuitry, and are
often used at live sound events, and are therefore often included in the
inventory of show equipment?

As for you, perhaps a good proctologist could remove that pickle...

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Fair price for sound engineer
Next: going SAC