From: Phil Allison on
<Leon(a)nospam.com>

> Phil Allison
>
>>** Audio electronics that has been submerged in muddy water ( not salt )
>

> Yes, it all depends on the quality of the water. I was brought a 2-way
> "lunchbox" radio once and it was totally shot.

** See the first two words in my post - Leon ??

> This type of radio had a battery pack with
> 11 D cells in it,

** That is the issue, not the fact that it got wet.

Things like mobile phones, PDAs, laptops etc are in a whole nuther category
far as recovery after being submerged is concerned.

Cos the VERY FIRST thing you must do is get the unit out of the water
immediately and get that damn battery pack OUT of it !!!

..... Phil

From: George's Pro Sound Co. on
Just reading a post on another forum, about a big midas that was under 3
feet of water during a flood in Nashville
ASSUMING it was insured against FLOOD, which is doubtful as flood insurance
(in the USA)is a seperate policy from your copmrehensive fire/theft
what happens to a 100,000$ desk once it gets hit like that
does it get given to the learning techs to try to revive, throw onthe scrap
heap or put on ebay, as unknown condition NO RETURNS
anyone ever dealt with either owning or buying something that ought to have
been scrapped, but wasn't beacuse of one reason or another?

From: PeterD on
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 06:36:07 -0400, "George's Pro Sound Co."
<bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>Just reading a post on another forum, about a big midas that was under 3
>feet of water during a flood in Nashville
>ASSUMING it was insured against FLOOD, which is doubtful as flood insurance
>(in the USA)is a seperate policy from your copmrehensive fire/theft
>what happens to a 100,000$ desk once it gets hit like that
>does it get given to the learning techs to try to revive, throw onthe scrap
>heap or put on ebay, as unknown condition NO RETURNS
>anyone ever dealt with either owning or buying something that ought to have
>been scrapped, but wasn't beacuse of one reason or another?

I'd be surprised if there was any viable insurance on it for flood...

My guess, it is likely to show up on eBay as either as/is or parts
only, which for some things could be a great deal for someone.

From: Ron Capik on
George's Pro Sound Co. wrote:
> Just reading a post on another forum, about a big midas that was under 3
> feet of water during a flood in Nashville
> ASSUMING it was insured against FLOOD, which is doubtful as flood insurance
> (in the USA)is a seperate policy from your copmrehensive fire/theft
> what happens to a 100,000$ desk once it gets hit like that
> does it get given to the learning techs to try to revive, throw onthe scrap
> heap or put on ebay, as unknown condition NO RETURNS
> anyone ever dealt with either owning or buying something that ought to have
> been scrapped, but wasn't beacuse of one reason or another?

Wondering what forum.
I was in Nashville about a week after
after the flood. [my niece is in College
there]

Anyway, I stopped by the Ryman and was talking
with the sound guys there about the flood.
I understand the midas was a recent purchase
along with L'Acoustic stage monitors, all
under water.
They were setting up for the evening's show,
so I didn't talk long. The Ryman has been
taking up some of the load from the Opry.

As for stuff that should have been scrapped,
there are loads of flooded out cars that
should have been trashed that end up on
the market. Don't know about sound gear and
such but wouldn't be surprised by anything
that ends up on e-bay.

Later...
Ron Capik
From: Phil Allison on

"PeterD"

>>Just reading a post on another forum, about a big midas that was under 3
>>feet of water during a flood in Nashville...
>

> My guess, it is likely to show up on eBay as either as/is or parts
> only, which for some things could be a great deal for someone.

** Audio electronics that has been submerged in muddy water ( not salt ) is
mostly fully recoverable - it just needs to be thoroughly washed and made
clean again. The important thing is that it is immediately rinsed out with
clean water then dried in the sun or with hot air.

One of my customers had almost his entire hire stock submerged in a flood
about 15 years ago - some things he just hosed off, dried out and used
again.

I got to see a couple of large MOSFET power amps and also some radio mic
receivers and body pack transmitters that were half full of dried mud.

Using only a garden hose, various small paint brushes, hot water, detergent
and lotsa patience all of them were restored to perfect working order and
condition.

The only significant damage was to the switches on the body pack
transmitters - there had been a fresh 9V battery inside at the time of the
flood and current flowing through the muddy water had eaten the plating away
on the contacts.

..... Phil

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4