From: Phildo on

"George's Pro Sound Co." <bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I helped restore the Midas that got soaked a couple of hours before the
>> Pink Floyd Modena show when I worked at Brit Row. Long, dirty task
>> cleaning circuit boards with cotton buds but we got the desk working
>> again and it gave several years relatively fault-free service afterwards.
>
> soaked is a good deal diffrent than submerged for a week in flood waters

I suppose so. This desk got completely soaked by rainwater that had been
collecting in a tarp above the mix position for several hours before the
show which eventually decided to split about 20 minutes before showtime.

Phildo

From: Denny Strauser on
Phildo wrote:
> "George's Pro Sound Co." <bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> I helped restore the Midas that got soaked a couple of hours before the
>>> Pink Floyd Modena show when I worked at Brit Row. Long, dirty task
>>> cleaning circuit boards with cotton buds but we got the desk working
>>> again and it gave several years relatively fault-free service afterwards.
>> soaked is a good deal diffrent than submerged for a week in flood waters
>
> I suppose so. This desk got completely soaked by rainwater that had been
> collecting in a tarp above the mix position for several hours before the
> show which eventually decided to split about 20 minutes before showtime.

About 20 years ago, I got caught in a downpour without a roof over FOH.
My console got soaked but kept on working. The only malfunction was that
when I un-soloed a channel it took a while to disappear from my
headphones, and all the LED's on the console stayed lit.

Another time, I was working a frat party & someone spilled a whole cup
of beer in the faders. I quickly got a pitcher of warm water & poured it
in the faders to wash out the beer.

- Denny
From: Phil Allison on

"Denny Strauser"

> About 20 years ago, I got caught in a downpour without a roof over FOH. My
> console got soaked but kept on working.

** Clearly then, not did not get "soaked" at all.

Or it most certainly would NOT have kept working.

> The only malfunction was that when I un-soloed a channel it took a while
> to disappear from my headphones, and all the LED's on the console stayed
> lit.

** Some water likely entered the desk via the small holes surrounding push
button switches or the like - it had some effect but not to serious. You
were very lucky.

Others should NOT get the idea from this imbecile's post that it is OK to
keep running electronics after it gets wet - cos that is what does all the
SERIOUS damage.

> Another time, I was working a frat party & someone spilled a whole cup of
> beer in the faders. I quickly got a pitcher of warm water & poured it in
> the faders to wash out the beer.

** Fair enough, but the faders would not work full of water mixed with
beer.

.... Phil

From: Denny Strauser on
Phil Allison wrote:
> "Denny Strauser"
>
>> About 20 years ago, I got caught in a downpour without a roof over FOH. My
>> console got soaked but kept on working.
>
> ** Clearly then, not did not get "soaked" at all.
> Or it most certainly would NOT have kept working.

Wrong! It was soaked ... It was not soaked like being submerged. But it
was soaked.

>> The only malfunction was that when I un-soloed a channel it took a while
>> to disappear from my headphones, and all the LED's on the console stayed
>> lit.
>
> ** Some water likely entered the desk via the small holes surrounding push
> button switches or the like - it had some effect but not to serious. You
> were very lucky.

No doubt...

> Others should NOT get the idea from this imbecile's post that it is OK to
> keep running electronics after it gets wet - cos that is what does all the
> SERIOUS damage.

Thanks, Phil for being YOU. I would never suggest that anyone choose to
run a console wet, but this imbecile had little choice in the matter.
The the Timex kept on ticking ...

>> Another time, I was working a frat party & someone spilled a whole cup of
>> beer in the faders. I quickly got a pitcher of warm water & poured it in
>> the faders to wash out the beer.
>
> ** Fair enough, but the faders would not work full of water mixed with
> beer.

WRONG! They never failed ... to my great surprise. When the beer went
down the faders, I expected to see sparks & silence. But .... when the
console kept running, I realized that if beer didn't short it out, water
likely wouldn't.

But, then again. I'll defer to your expertise ...
I must have been imagining the whole experience .....

- Denny
From: alex on
Il 18/06/2010 6.21, Phil Allison ha scritto:
> "PeterD"
>>
>>> Just reading a post on another forum, about a big midas that was under 3
>>> feet of water during a flood in Nashville...
>>

>> My guess, it is likely to show up on eBay as either as/is or parts
>> only, which for some things could be a great deal for someone.
>>

> ** Audio electronics that has been submerged in muddy water ( not salt ) is
> mostly fully recoverable - it just needs to be thoroughly washed and made
> clean again. The important thing is that it is immediately rinsed out with
> clean water then dried in the sun or with hot air.
>
> One of my customers had almost his entire hire stock submerged in a flood
> about 15 years ago - some things he just hosed off, dried out and used
> again.
>
> I got to see a couple of large MOSFET power amps and also some radio mic
> receivers and body pack transmitters that were half full of dried mud.
>
> Using only a garden hose, various small paint brushes, hot water, detergent
> and lotsa patience all of them were restored to perfect working order and
> condition.
>
> The only significant damage was to the switches on the body pack
> transmitters - there had been a fresh 9V battery inside at the time of the
> flood and current flowing through the muddy water had eaten the plating away
> on the contacts.
>

> .... Phil

yes, agree,
the only things not fully recoverable are obviously the paper diaphram
of the speakers and the lcd display that will "trap" water inside due to
the layer based assembly process.
Even some old electrolytic capacitor will result to be useless because
water trapped inside. Almost every other component should be fully
recoverable by carefully washing it.