From: Richard Webb on
Liquidator writes:

"> 100% spot on Phil.
> I lost an expensive camera overboad a couple decades ago.

> The repair shop's advice? get the battery pack out, then put it back
> in distilled water and bring it to us.

Yep, and I didn't do that with a $400 vhf/uhf portable. I
was working a cross country horse ride, and a rainstorm came up, the tent I was in with the field base station collapsed, and I was too busy saving that gear, didn't get the battery
pack off that little portable on my belt in time. IT was
completely fried by the time I got into the van to work the
event from my mobile station. expensive lesson.
FLood waters can be nasty but this was just mostly water
from the sky <grin>. But, who knows what I might have
dredged up from the mudhole I found myself in inside the
collapsed tent <grin>.

I still have a "no food or drink" policy in the business
compartment of the remote truck however.

Regards,
Richard
.... Remote audio in the southland: See www.gatasound.com
From: Tim Perry on

"bob u" <sound(a)inetnebr.com> wrote in message
> On 6/19/2010 10:46 PM, Denny Strauser wrote:
>> Leon(a)nospam.com wrote:
>>> Yes I did Phil. <snipped> perhaps a good proctologist could remove
>>> that pickle...
>>
>> I wouldn't touch this with .... a ten foot "pickle."
>> LMAO
>> -Denny
> Some rigger somewhere is standing next to a chain motor box wondering
> where the pickle went.... Don't ask... don't tell...
>
> bob

Cuke, very cuke.... I'm green with envy

From: www.locoworks.com on
On Jun 20, 8:25 am, "liquidator" <mi...(a)mad.scientist.com> wrote:
> "Phil Allison" <phi...(a)tpg.com.au> wrote in message

> > <L...(a)nospam.com>
>
> >> Phil Allison

> >> Yes, it all depends on the quality of the water. I was brought a 2-way
> >> "lunchbox" radio once and it was totally shot.
>
> > ** See the first two words in my post  - Leon ??
>
> >> This type of radio had a battery pack with
> >> 11 D cells in it,
>
> > ** That is the issue, not the fact that it got wet.
>
> > Things like mobile phones, PDAs, laptops etc are in a whole nuther
> > category far as recovery after being submerged is concerned.
>
> > Cos the VERY FIRST thing you must do is get the unit out of the water
> > immediately and get that damn battery pack OUT  of it  !!!
>
> > ....   Phil
>
> 100% spot on Phil.
>
> I lost an expensive camera overboad a couple decades ago.
>
> The repair shop's advice? get the battery pack out, then put it back in
> distilled water and bring it to us.- Hide quoted text -

A maintenance guy I used to work with told me that he was working Wide
World of Sports on a surf contest in Hawaii, when they lost a VR3000
(small 2" quad recorder the size of a carry-on suitcase) over the side
of their boat into the Pacific. Frantic calls to Ampex resulted in
the recommendation to run back to the hotel and submerge it in a
bathtub full of fresh water and then dry it off. He said that it
survived the treatment and lived to record again.

From: Phildo on

"PeterD" <peter2(a)hipson.net> wrote in message
>>Chances are you can revive it, but it will never be worth what it was.
>>I have done some submerged electronics before. Dirt gets under chips and
>>you will never get it all out short of taking every part off and
>>cleaning both sides. You may not need to do this to make it functional,
>>but the crud laying around long term is an unknown quantity.
>> things can rust in areas you cannot see. Hell, i would buy a Midas
>>for a few hundred and have some fun with it.... ;)
>>

> Two other areas that we found problematic were potentiometers and
> non-sealed (mechanical) meters. Dirt didn't seem to wash out of the
> controls well (though spraying with cleaner helped) adn mechanical
> meters were almost always trashed. (Fortunately mechanical meters are
> rare today.)

I helped restore the Midas that got soaked a couple of hours before the Pink
Floyd Modena show when I worked at Brit Row. Long, dirty task cleaning
circuit boards with cotton buds but we got the desk working again and it
gave several years relatively fault-free service afterwards.

Phildo

From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

"Phildo" <Phil(a)phildo.net> wrote in message

> "PeterD" <peter2(a)hipson.net> wrote in message
>>>Chances are you can revive it, but it will never be worth what it was.
>>>I have done some submerged electronics before. Dirt gets under chips and
>>>you will never get it all out short of taking every part off and
>>>cleaning both sides. You may not need to do this to make it functional,
>>>but the crud laying around long term is an unknown quantity.
>>> things can rust in areas you cannot see. Hell, i would buy a Midas
>>>for a few hundred and have some fun with it.... ;)
>>>

>> Two other areas that we found problematic were potentiometers and
>> non-sealed (mechanical) meters. Dirt didn't seem to wash out of the
>> controls well (though spraying with cleaner helped) adn mechanical
>> meters were almost always trashed. (Fortunately mechanical meters are
>> rare today.)
>
> I helped restore the Midas that got soaked a couple of hours before the
> Pink Floyd Modena show when I worked at Brit Row. Long, dirty task
> cleaning circuit boards with cotton buds but we got the desk working again
> and it gave several years relatively fault-free service afterwards.
>
> Phildo

soaked is a good deal diffrent than submerged for a week in flood waters