From: MJMIII on
<helmsman(a)wowway.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 10:23:39 -0500, "MJMIII" <balrog(a)castaway.net>
> wrote:
>
>><helmsman(a)wowway.com> wrote in message
>>> Inspiron 530-WinXP Pro
>>> All of a sudden when I turn the machine on I have started getting a
>>> Dell box asking where DSC20.msi is.
>>> What is this file and where is it?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>
>>Did you remove Dell Support Center?
>
> No.

Then the .msi may be corrupted. You have to re-download it. Took me 2
seconds to find it on Dell's website.
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

From: RnR on
On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 13:56:53 -0500, "MJMIII" <balrog(a)castaway.net>
wrote:

><helmsman(a)wowway.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 10:23:39 -0500, "MJMIII" <balrog(a)castaway.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>><helmsman(a)wowway.com> wrote in message

>>>Did you remove Dell Support Center?
>>
>> No.
>
>Then the .msi may be corrupted. You have to re-download it. Took me 2
>seconds to find it on Dell's website.

Excellent point not to be forgotten to be applied to any botched
install. I have done this on occasion and it works. For the sake of
others who may not know what I'm talking about... sometimes when
you can't uninstall a program because some file or files seem to be
missing, try installing the same program over the old one and then try
the uninstall. It's definitely worth a shot to try if all else fails.
From: RnR on
On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 08:02:22 -0500, helmsman(a)wowway.com wrote:

>Inspiron 530-WinXP Pro
>All of a sudden when I turn the machine on I have started getting a
>Dell box asking where DSC20.msi is.
>What is this file and where is it?
>
>Thanks

I googled "DSC20.msi" and found this. Perhaps this will help you?
http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19262251.aspx
From: Ben Myers on
RnR wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 13:56:53 -0500, "MJMIII" <balrog(a)castaway.net>
> wrote:
>
>> <helmsman(a)wowway.com> wrote in message

>>> No.
>> Then the .msi may be corrupted. You have to re-download it. Took me 2
>> seconds to find it on Dell's website.
>

> Excellent point not to be forgotten to be applied to any botched
> install. I have done this on occasion and it works. For the sake of
> others who may not know what I'm talking about... sometimes when
> you can't uninstall a program because some file or files seem to be
> missing, try installing the same program over the old one and then try
> the uninstall. It's definitely worth a shot to try if all else fails.

As a last ditch solution, Revo Uninstaller does a good job of
uninstalling almost everything shown on the Add/Remove Programs list.
It could not remove all of Norton Anti-Virus 2006 on a client's laptop
last week, though. But that's Norton. Even Symantec's own Norton
Removal Tool would not work. I had to resort to booting with Ultimate
Boot Disk, removing all the Norton and Symantec folders (there are quite
a few), then running CCleaner to clean up the registry of all the Norton
and Symantec sludge... Ben Myers
From: RnR on
On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 17:06:06 -0500, Ben Myers <ben_myers(a)charter.net>
wrote:

>RnR wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 13:56:53 -0500, "MJMIII" <balrog(a)castaway.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> <helmsman(a)wowway.com> wrote in message

>>> Then the .msi may be corrupted. You have to re-download it. Took me 2
>>> seconds to find it on Dell's website.
>>

>> Excellent point not to be forgotten to be applied to any botched
>> install. I have done this on occasion and it works. For the sake of
>> others who may not know what I'm talking about... sometimes when
>> you can't uninstall a program because some file or files seem to be
>> missing, try installing the same program over the old one and then try
>> the uninstall. It's definitely worth a shot to try if all else fails.
>
>As a last ditch solution, Revo Uninstaller does a good job of
>uninstalling almost everything shown on the Add/Remove Programs list.
>It could not remove all of Norton Anti-Virus 2006 on a client's laptop
>last week, though. But that's Norton. Even Symantec's own Norton
>Removal Tool would not work. I had to resort to booting with Ultimate
>Boot Disk, removing all the Norton and Symantec folders (there are quite
>a few), then running CCleaner to clean up the registry of all the Norton
>and Symantec sludge... Ben Myers

I use a different uninstaller but I never tried it on Norton's because
I know better than to use Nortons <grin>. Of course I know you are
probably talking about a client's system as you know as well as I do
about Nortons <grin>.