From: Savageduck on

<<--------------------------------------------------------->>

> Interesting Savageduck 01
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995073
>
> I enjoy a good aircraft armament picture, even though I don't believe
> this one. Were they really chromed? C'mon.

That A-10 was a specially prepared display aircraft used for airshows.
Normally that shroud is a matte black, no chrome.

> Interesting Savageduck 02B
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995078
>
> I could have said "P-51" without prompting; during WWII this was one of
> my two favorite airplanes. The other was the P-38 "Lightning", which
> may have loaned its name to this particular airship, which I would have
> called a "Mustang".

Oops! now there was a brain fart on my part.
....and I should have known better, of course it was a Mustang.

<<-------------------------------------------------------------------->>

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Eric Stevens on
On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 22:05:34 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2009-09-28 20:29:09 -0700, "Frank ess" <frank(a)fshe2fs.com> said:
>
>> Just to inject a little (photographic) life into this political group,
>> please find attached my obligatory commments on the entries in Mr
>> Bowser's "Interesting" challenge. I say "obligatory" because it seems
>> to me posting an entry into a Shoot-In commits one to pay attention to
>> his own work, and to that of others, and to return the favor that the
>> commitment implies others will grant him, as well.
>>

>> My tentative evaluation of the entire collection of images was, "Eric
>> Stevens Two, Bowser One, The Rest Of US Zero.
>
><<--------------------------------------------------------->>
>>
>> Interesting Savageduck 01
>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995073
>>
>> I enjoy a good aircraft armament picture, even though I don't believe
>> this one. Were they really chromed? C'mon.
>
>That A-10 was a specially prepared display aircraft used for airshows.
>Normally that shroud is a matte black, no chrome.
>

>> Interesting Savageduck 02B
>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995078
>>
>> I could have said "P-51" without prompting; during WWII this was one of
>> my two favorite airplanes. The other was the P-38 "Lightning", which
>> may have loaned its name to this particular airship, which I would have
>> called a "Mustang".
>
>Oops! now there was a brain fart on my part.
>...and I should have known better, of course it was a Mustang.
>
><<-------------------------------------------------------------------->>

You had me puzzled.

Do you know that the radiator on the P-51 acted a small ramjet and
actually produced about 30 lbs of thrust? No drag - thrust.

Eric Stevens
From: Savageduck on
On 2009-09-29 01:17:25 -0700, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens(a)sum.co.nz> said:

> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 22:05:34 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2009-09-28 20:29:09 -0700, "Frank ess" <frank(a)fshe2fs.com> said:
>>
>>> Just to inject a little (photographic) life into this political group,
>>> please find attached my obligatory commments on the entries in Mr
>>> Bowser's "Interesting" challenge. I say "obligatory" because it seems
>>> to me posting an entry into a Shoot-In commits one to pay attention to
>>> his own work, and to that of others, and to return the favor that the
>>> commitment implies others will grant him, as well.
>>>

>>> My tentative evaluation of the entire collection of images was, "Eric
>>> Stevens Two, Bowser One, The Rest Of US Zero.
>>
>> <<--------------------------------------------------------->>
>>>
>>> Interesting Savageduck 01
>>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995073
>>>
>>> I enjoy a good aircraft armament picture, even though I don't believe
>>> this one. Were they really chromed? C'mon.
>>
>> That A-10 was a specially prepared display aircraft used for airshows.
>> Normally that shroud is a matte black, no chrome.
>>

>>> Interesting Savageduck 02B
>>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995078
>>>
>>> I could have said "P-51" without prompting; during WWII this was one of
>>> my two favorite airplanes. The other was the P-38 "Lightning", which
>>> may have loaned its name to this particular airship, which I would have
>>> called a "Mustang".
>>
>> Oops! now there was a brain fart on my part.
>> ...and I should have known better, of course it was a Mustang.
>>
>> <<-------------------------------------------------------------------->>
>
> You had me puzzled.
>
> Do you know that the radiator on the P-51 acted a small ramjet and
> actually produced about 30 lbs of thrust? No drag - thrust.
>

> Eric Stevens

Yes I knew that about the P-51.
The most embarrasing part of this is my father flew P-38's in New
Guinea, The Philipinnes, & Okinawa. Perhaps that was why I had
"Lightning" on my mind.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/HRO%20%26%20P38.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/BaboRaiders1944.jpg
--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Bowser on
"Frank ess" <frank(a)fshe2fs.com> wrote in message
> Just to inject a little (photographic) life into this political group,
> please find attached my obligatory commments on the entries in Mr Bowser's
> "Interesting" challenge. I say "obligatory" because it seems to me posting
> an entry into a Shoot-In commits one to pay attention to his own work, and
> to that of others, and to return the favor that the commitment implies
> others will grant him, as well.
>

> My tentative evaluation of the entire collection of images was, "Eric
> Stevens Two, Bowser One, The Rest Of US Zero.
>

> int bowser 1
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995118
>
> Hey, it's recorded for posterity.

Big. Steel. Dogs. What's not interesting about that?

> int bowser 2
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995126
>
> Don't get me started on animal abuse, pretentiousness, arrogance,
> self-consciousness.

But the dog seemed to like the custom-knit sweater...

> int bowser 3
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995131
>
> Why is this one that earned a point? I dunno. I hear bells ringing, see
> lights flashing, echoes of happy hours spent at (guess?) pinball machines.
> Cool shadings, sharp transitions, too. strikes a chord, somehow. Weeks
> later and I still enjoy looking at it in general and in specific elements.
> Yes, at least one point.

Ah. I love it. I don't care why I earned that point, but I'll take it. I
don't get many, and can't afford to waste one.

If I had been paying closer attention when shooting, I might have moved my
feet, and my son's feet out of the frame.

From: Paul Furman on
Frank ess wrote:
> Just to inject a little (photographic) life into this political group,
> please find attached my obligatory commments on the entries in Mr
> Bowser's "Interesting" challenge. I say "obligatory" because it seems to
> me posting an entry into a Shoot-In commits one to pay attention to his
> own work, and to that of others, and to return the favor that the
> commitment implies others will grant him, as well.

Thanks for your (frank) comments Frank <g> and interesting perspective
on the set. That freshened my view of them. I get the point about
content, though some of these are just technical geekoid interesting
without any thoughts about fine art or the human condition. I agree my
Nevada mirage shot is really not worth much more than: 'oh, that's what
it looks like frozen & zoomed in', hmm... whatever... <g>. The other
category for this mandate could've been called "weird", which is also
interesting, maybe cheapened a bit by the cheap shot/shock factor but
that can be done well too, sometimes.

> My tentative evaluation of the entire collection of images was, "Eric
> Stevens Two, Bowser One, The Rest Of US Zero.

Ouch, I don't think we did that bad. It's interesting how we differ in
our like or revulsion for some of these.

> inter Frank ess 01
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995145
>
> I like regularity, randomness, color, unsolveable mysteries (how much of
> that dull section up in the right is leaves from other plants, how much
> from the bearing plant, how much spider web, how much unidentified
> matter?) I'll take credit for r, r, and c, but no point.

Blech. Sorry, I do get the style and intent though, just this one
doesn't work for me at all.

> inter Frank ess 02
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995148
>
> This guy is doing his last wheeze on the "shorty" antenna of my car,

This is quite a nice shot.

> inter Frank ess 03 old
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/116995151
>
> A bit of a tradition at the Coronado School Of The Arts at Coronado,
> California High School: Graphics Arts students present a tableau of
> their works, during graduation week. This is my granddaughter's work.
> She earned scholarships and prizes, and is now at university, presumably
> learning it takes more than talent to prosper.

Nah, you don't learn that in college.

This got one of *my* stingy three points for the set, though others
thought it was lame <shrug>.

> interesting_Paul-Furman_2009-08-08-baca_0036228
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/117078181
>
> The attack of the mutant rhubarb.

OK, yeah, this slips in on the 'weird' banner... willow roots in an
alpine stream.

> interesting_Paul-Furman_2009-08-13-shiprock_18_PBF7755
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/117078183
>
> See what I mean about whipping your perceptual focus around? I have to
> admit to being a Shiprock fan, but a guitar isn't part of my stereotype
> of native American desert life.

Chucki Begay & the Mother Earth Blues Band...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_pfx1Mfqe0
they do some great renditions of BB King, Hendrix, Allman Brothers, etc
but I ended up using an original of hers with more local flavor.

> interesting_Paul-Furman_2009-08-15-area-51_0039518
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/117078184
>
> I think I will move on before the tumbleweeds..

Point taken, I appreciate the perspective.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net