From: Adam on
Hi everyone! I think this question is a little different as the printer
isn't a problem in this case (Canon i550 inkjet if that matters).

Soon I'll be printing some line drawings, and want to use better paper
-- except the office supply stores around here have an overwhelming
number of choices that claim to work on inkjet printers -- so-called
standard, business, parchment, resume, linen, fine linen, and so on, and
I can't buy individual sheets of each to try out.

These are b/w line drawings with fine lines and lots of cross-hatching
(from hi-res scans), to be printed on only one side of each 8.5"x11"
sheet. If the ink bleeds on the paper at all, the drawings look awful.
Still, I want something heavier than usual (30-60 lb., I suppose).
Color has to be white but exact shade and brightness aren't critical.
Surface could be gloss or matte or anything in-between. Cost is
somewhat of a factor, preferably under $0.05/sheet in quantity, less if
possible.

What would you recommend for a paper that looks "arty" and expensive
(think overpriced gift book), but without any bleed when printed on an
inkjet? Or am I better off asking the paper manufacturers whose product
is available locally? Or the local art supply store? At the office
supply store, the "linen" and "fine linen" paper looked closest to what
I want, but I'm not sure how much they'll bleed. Any suggestions,
either for specific types of paper or more general advice, would be very
much appreciated!

Adam
--
Email: adam seven zero seven AT verizon DOT net
From: Bob AZ on
�At the office
> supply store, the "linen" and "fine linen" paper looked closest to what
> I want, but I'm not sure how much they'll bleed. �Any suggestions,
> either for specific types of paper or more general advice, would be very
> much appreciated!
>
> Adam
> --
> Email: adam seven zero seven AT verizon DOT net

Adam

InkJetArt.com is a good place to start.

Bob AZ
From: Adam on
Bob AZ wrote:
> InkJetArt.com is a good place to start.

Thanks, Bob! That gives me a good idea of what's available. It looks
like there's lots more stuff on the web than I'd found so far.

Adam
From: Arthur Entlich on
I'm not totally familiar with Canon models, so please excuse the ignorance.

From what I have seen on line, your printer users the 3e cartridges for
all 4 colors, which should be pigment colorant based.

Some of Canon printers use dye only and some use dye colors and two
blacks, one dye (all for photos) and one pigment black for text.
Pigment inks tend to be darker, and do not bleed nearly as much as dye
inks. They are designed to sit on the top surface of most papers and
give a sharper edge as a result.

If your black ink is indeed pigment, you may be able to get away with
rather inexpensive bond papers. Your budget, of 5 cents or less
restricts the choice to mainly uncoated papers. meaning mainly bond like
papers, which still may be fine.

Parchment paper usually costs more than 5 cents a page, but it is
usually sturdy and looks good, and will keep a good line with pigment ink.

There are some bond papers made up to about 25-30 lbs (HP makes a few
which are very white).

You may need to do a bit of testing, but generally speaking inkjet
printers using pigment colorant inks leave a nice clean sharp line, so
in that case, bond papers should be fine. They are often sold as "good
for laser or inkjet purposes". Look not only for weight of the paper
but also opacity (how dense or laking ease to read the other side. The
print will look cleaner.

If you want a very clean look you might try something like the matte
finish "photo quality" paper from Epson. This is lighter weight than
you suggest and may curl is left to, but it has one side of coatings. It
sells for about $0.05 a sheet on sale, but it is only coated on one
side, that brighter side is what you print upon.

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

From: Adam on
Thanks VERY much, Art, for such an informative reply!

Arthur Entlich wrote:
> From what I have seen on line, your printer users the 3e cartridges for
> all 4 colors, which should be pigment colorant based.

Yes, the Canon i550 uses 3e cartridges for everything. (I think some
Canons use 3e for regular printing and 6e for photos.) I never even
thought about whether the ink was pigment or dye (it never mattered
before), and their own website doesn't say. All I can tell from the
package is that all 4 colors also contain glycerine and diethylene
glycol, if that means anything. Cyan and magenta also contain isopropyl
alcohol ("rubbing alcohol") and ethylene glycol.

Elementary question here: if Canon's own ink cartridges for this model
are pigment based, does that mean all other-brand replacement cartridges
are also pigment based, or could some be dyes?

> If your black ink is indeed pigment, you may be able to get away with
> rather inexpensive bond papers. Your budget, of 5 cents or less
> restricts the choice to mainly uncoated papers. meaning mainly bond like
> papers, which still may be fine.

One thing I think I forgot to mention in my original post was that I
don't need gallery-quality results here. This is a mockup of a picture
book, which I'll use to try to sell the project, so all I need is
something that /suggests/ quality paper.

> Parchment paper usually costs more than 5 cents a page, but it is
> usually sturdy and looks good, and will keep a good line with pigment ink.

Okay, I'll buy a small package of that, and see what results I get. The
brand sold in both local office supply stores (Staples, Office Depot) is
Southworth, so I emailed them with my question about paper type, but
haven't gotten a reply yet.

> You may need to do a bit of testing, but generally speaking inkjet
> printers using pigment colorant inks leave a nice clean sharp line

I'll spend this weekend trying out every kind of paper I already have
around here, which includes Canon glossy photo paper, and pages from
sketchbooks cut down to size.

> If you want a very clean look you might try something like the matte
> finish "photo quality" paper from Epson. This is lighter weight than you
> suggest and may curl is left to, but it has one side of coatings. It
> sells for about $0.05 a sheet on sale, but it is only coated on one
> side, that brighter side is what you print upon.

That sounds like another good possibility. Thanks again for all your
suggestions and advice!

Adam

P.S. And a very Happy Thanksgiving to anyone in the USA who's reading this!
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Brother HL-5340D
Next: Canon iP4000 Print Head Problem