From: Gene West on
I have a Canon ip4000 with only 1/2 of the black (3e-BK) printing in the
draft and the standard modes. Very distinct bands (not streaking)
alternating with a good line and a blank line. Cleaning was to no
avail. What I did to be able to use the head was to go into the envelop
mode which gave me extra passes, however, it was significantly slower
than the draft mode. Apparently there is unidirectional passes in the
envelop mode. Normal printing must be have bidirectional passes in the
draft and standard modes. I was also successful in the photo mode, but
it was extremely slow.

Any other comments or suggestions on this type of printing problem would
be welcome.

Very soon I am ordering a new print head, however, Googling for ordering
was not clear. I assume the price is about $55, does anyone know of a
good place to purchase this print head?

Geneo
From: Al on
On Nov 24, 5:26 pm, Gene West <geneo1...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I have a Canon ip4000 with only 1/2 of the black (3e-BK) printing in the
> draft and the standard modes.  Very distinct bands (not streaking)
> alternating with a good line and a blank line.  Cleaning was to no
> avail.  What I did to be able to use the head was to go into the envelop
> mode which gave me extra passes, however, it was significantly slower
> than the draft mode.  Apparently there is unidirectional passes in the
> envelop mode.  Normal printing must be have bidirectional passes in the
> draft and standard modes.  I was also successful in the photo mode, but
> it was extremely slow.
>
> Any other comments or suggestions on this type of printing problem would
> be welcome.
>
> Very soon I am ordering a new print head, however, Googling for ordering
> was not clear.  I assume the price is about $55, does anyone know of a
> good place to purchase this print head?
>
> Geneo

I think your print head is only clogged. Google this group for head
cleaning techniques and try that first.
I was able to get an acceptable black by using the colors when that
happened to me. Then out of the blue the black started printing again
without any special procedures.
From: Arthur Entlich on

Canon inkjet printer heads are "time limited" usually about 18-24 months
with moderate use. They then will burn out and require user accessible
replacement, but they are costly, and often the cost makes the
replacement difficult to justify.

Canon printer heads have a number of different size nozzles for each
color, so one nozzle size may burn out while the other may continue to
work. Also some Canon printer have two types of black ink, (and
different nozzles again) for photo black and pigment black (used for
black only documents or black text).

However, before giving up on the head, it may just be a clog.

I have a free small manual for some ways of cleaning Canon printer heads
which I have put together fro suggestions from several people and
websites (I don't own any Canon printers, so I have just assembled
suggestions and ideas from others)

If you'd like a copy, just email me at the address below, and mention
the Canon cleaning manual. I do not trade, sell, or spam your email
address. This is a free service.

Art

e-printerhelp(at)mvps(dot)org

(at) = @

(dot) = .

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

From: davy on

The part number for the IP4000 print head is *QY6-049-000.* Here's one
of many sources 'Canon Parts.'
(http://www.printerservicecentre.com/product.detail_96893_en_514965) I
would stick to a reputable company than getting one from 'El cheapo'
sources such as Ebay.

davy

From: Gene West on
Thanks for the info.